U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2018, 12:53 PM
 
573 posts, read 137,558 times
Reputation: 1041

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Proud member of the pro-vaccine crowd here! Thanks to vaccines, I've never had polio, measles, whooping cough, diptheria, smallpox, shingles, tetanus, yellow fever, or shingles. Haven't had the flu since about 2000 when I did get it and missed four days of work, because I've gotten a shot every year since then.

And I was treated for warts on my cervix in the late 90s. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

My daughter has had all the recommended vaccinations too. She was late getting a flu vaccine last year and did get the flu, causing her to miss about 4 days of important and expensive college classes.
Well I havent had any of those diseases, Im 70, and except for the tetanus vaccine because I work with horses everyday, polio and smallpox vaccine back in the 1950s, Ive never had any of those diseases either, and no vaccines.

 
Old 10-10-2018, 12:57 PM
 
8,540 posts, read 5,241,515 times
Reputation: 9094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
All I'm saying is that a lack of regular pap smears doesn't CAUSE cervical cancer. And yes, one can be in favor of the vaccine and also acknowledge other risk factors. What doesn't make sense to me is rejecting the notion that the vaccine is helpful in reducing the number of cases of genital warts as well as cancer.

What makes sense to me is weighing risk vs reward when taking any medication.
 
Old 10-10-2018, 01:16 PM
 
15,161 posts, read 15,992,939 times
Reputation: 25011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
What makes sense to me is weighing risk vs reward when taking any medication.
Me too. No one I know has ever had an adverse reaction from getting a vaccine. In our family, we take advantage of medical science to protect our health.

Last edited by Marlow; 10-10-2018 at 01:30 PM..
 
Old 10-10-2018, 01:17 PM
 
15,161 posts, read 15,992,939 times
Reputation: 25011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Well I havent had any of those diseases, Im 70, and except for the tetanus vaccine because I work with horses everyday, polio and smallpox vaccine back in the 1950s, Ive never had any of those diseases either, and no vaccines.
Why do you get the tetanus vaccine?
 
Old 10-10-2018, 01:25 PM
Status: "Autumn!" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,879 posts, read 98,615,818 times
Reputation: 31320
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Lack of regular paps can absolutely increase the chances of one getting cervical cancer. Whatís typically caught with regular paps is PRE cancer, and if caught in this stage it can be treated so that it does not become cancer.

Paps donít catch head, neck or throat or anal cancers.

Here is that the American Cancer Association has to say about hormonal birth control:

ďTaking birth control pills for 5 or more years might make you more likely to get cervical cancer. The longer you use them, the higher your risk.Ē

Birth Control Pills can be a cofactor in the development of Cervical Cancer and that cofactor could help explain why some peopleís bodies fight off HPV not heir own while others do not. Estrogen plays a role in certain cancers and could be why Birth Control Pills up the risk.

Iím not saying that HPV is not a major factor because it is. Just noting things that increase oneís risk and noting that everyone does not have the same risk when it comes to Cervical Cancer, or even head, neck, throat cancers because there are factors that increase the risk in all of them such as smoking and alcohol.

Most people will get HPV at some point or another but most will also clear it on their own. Cervical Cancer is a slow growing cancer and is highly treatable when caught in the pre cancer stage. This is why regular pap screening are so important. And the reason why regular pap screenings have lowered the cervical cancer rate dramatically.

I donít know why people want to argue that co factors donít play a role. One can be 100% in favor of the vaccine and also acknowledge the role that paps have played as well as acknowledge what is known about co-factors and how risk varies from person to person.
Document.

"Might". Might, might, might.

Explain how this happens, physiologically. Cite sources please.

You have to have an HPV infection for these other factors to come into play. Here is a quote about oral cancer: "2 Smoking, alcohol use, and poor oral hygiene are also risk factors for oral cancer, though to a lesser extent."
https://dev-journals2013.lww.com/ajn...&type=Fulltext

Again, there is nothing an individual can do to "clear" HPV. It either clears or it doesn't. Words matter. Document the rest.

Yes, one can and should be 100% in favor of the vaccine. One should not argue that smoking, alcohol and BCP contribute as much or more to these cancers. The causative agent is Human Papilloma Virus, HPV. People that don't smoke, drink, or use BCP get these cancers too. In fact, oral cancer is more common in men, who certainly aren't using BCP.
 
Old 10-10-2018, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,387 posts, read 25,975,211 times
Reputation: 26299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Lack of regular paps can absolutely increase the chances of one getting cervical cancer. Whatís typically caught with regular paps is PRE cancer, and if caught in this stage it can be treated so that it does not become cancer.

Paps donít catch head, neck or throat or anal cancers.

Here is that the American Cancer Association has to say about hormonal birth control:

ďTaking birth control pills for 5 or more years might make you more likely to get cervical cancer. The longer you use them, the higher your risk.Ē

Birth Control Pills can be a cofactor in the development of Cervical Cancer and that cofactor could help explain why some peopleís bodies fight off HPV not heir own while others do not. Estrogen plays a role in certain cancers and could be why Birth Control Pills up the risk.

Iím not saying that HPV is not a major factor because it is. Just noting things that increase oneís risk and noting that everyone does not have the same risk when it comes to Cervical Cancer, or even head, neck, throat cancers because there are factors that increase the risk in all of them such as smoking and alcohol.

Most people will get HPV at some point or another but most will also clear it on their own. Cervical Cancer is a slow growing cancer and is highly treatable when caught in the pre cancer stage. This is why regular pap screening are so important. And the reason why regular pap screenings have lowered the cervical cancer rate dramatically.

I donít know why people want to argue that co factors donít play a role. One can be 100% in favor of the vaccine and also acknowledge the role that paps have played as well as acknowledge what is known about co-factors and how risk varies from person to person.
Without the HPV infection the other cofactors become irrelevant. The vaccine prevents the infection. Prevent the infection, you prevent the cancer.
 
Old 10-10-2018, 01:30 PM
Status: "Autumn!" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,879 posts, read 98,615,818 times
Reputation: 31320
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
What makes sense to me is weighing risk vs reward when taking any medication.
And what's the risk with HPV vaccine?

You might get a sore arm. You might faint, which can be alleviated by sitting or lying down when you get the shot(s). You might get a brief fever, headache or feeling of tiredness, nausea, muscle or joint pain. All these are short lived. According to the CDC: "On very rare occasions, severe (anaphylactic) allergic reactions may occur after vaccination. People with severe allergies to any component of a vaccine should not receive that vaccine."
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/va...v-vaccine.html

Is surgery, chemo or even death from an HPV cancer preferable to those side effects? I doubt there has been one medically documented death from the HPV vaccine, and reports of ASIA, POTS, premature ovarian failure and the like have all been debunked.

If you start the vaccine before age 15, you only need two shots.
 
Old 10-10-2018, 02:48 PM
 
8,540 posts, read 5,241,515 times
Reputation: 9094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Me too. No one I know has ever had an adverse reaction from getting a vaccine. In our family, we take advantage of medical science to protect our health.


We also take advantage of ďmedical scienceĒ and visit doctors and sometimes even take medications. There are risks with anything you put in your body and I think itís perfectly normal and acceptable to take that into consideration when taking any medication, vaccine, supplement, etc.
 
Old 10-10-2018, 02:56 PM
 
8,540 posts, read 5,241,515 times
Reputation: 9094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And what's the risk with HPV vaccine?

You might get a sore arm. You might faint, which can be alleviated by sitting or lying down when you get the shot(s). You might get a brief fever, headache or feeling of tiredness, nausea, muscle or joint pain. All these are short lived. According to the CDC: "On very rare occasions, severe (anaphylactic) allergic reactions may occur after vaccination. People with severe allergies to any component of a vaccine should not receive that vaccine."
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/va...v-vaccine.html

Is surgery, chemo or even death from an HPV cancer preferable to those side effects? I doubt there has been one medically documented death from the HPV vaccine, and reports of ASIA, POTS, premature ovarian failure and the like have all been debunked.

If you start the vaccine before age 15, you only need two shots.
This isn’t meant to be a vaccine debate. People can look into adverse reactions themselves. It’s not a vaccine without controversy though and Japan and Denmark for instance have exercised more caution due to adverse events associated with it. Keep in mind this conversation is also about the HPV vaccine now being available to adults, it’s not about kids. The HPV vaccine has been available to kids and teens for quite some time/.

The conversation is about how the HPV vaccine is available to adults now. I mentioned other risk factors involved in HPV associated cancers. If adults feel they are at risk and would like to get the vaccine, they can now do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Document.

"Might". Might, might, might.

Explain how this happens, physiologically. Cite sources please.

You have to have an HPV infection for these other factors to come into play. Here is a quote about oral cancer: "2 Smoking, alcohol use, and poor oral hygiene are also risk factors for oral cancer, though to a lesser extent."
https://dev-journals2013.lww.com/ajn...&type=Fulltext

Again, there is nothing an individual can do to "clear" HPV. It either clears or it doesn't. Words matter. Document the rest.

Yes, one can and should be 100% in favor of the vaccine. One should not argue that smoking, alcohol and BCP contribute as much or more to these cancers. The causative agent is Human Papilloma Virus, HPV. People that don't smoke, drink, or use BCP get these cancers too. In fact, oral cancer is more common in men, who certainly aren't using BCP.

The information I shared regarding the importance of paps is documented and well known as are the cofactors such as smoking, alcohol, birth control etc. I’m not going to argue about it.

I disagree that anyone “should be 100% in favor” of this vaccine or any drug or medication or medical procedure. That’s over the top.
 
Old 10-10-2018, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,387 posts, read 25,975,211 times
Reputation: 26299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post


We also take advantage of ďmedical scienceĒ and visit doctors and sometimes even take medications. There are risks with anything you put in your body and I think itís perfectly normal and acceptable to take that into consideration when taking any medication, vaccine, supplement, etc.
Sure, but the risks need to be real, supported by scientific evidence, and not based on anecdotes from lay people. The risks of the condition the medication is used to treat or the vaccine is designed to prevent have to be taken into consideration, too.

The fact is that serious adverse effects from the HPV vaccine have not been documented to happen in properly conducted studies from research done around the world.

Australia is on course to wipe out cervical cancer. Note that screening for HPV itself is replacing the Pap smear.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ithin-20-years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:27 AM.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top