U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2018, 04:40 PM

8,546 posts, read 5,271,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Yes, that was my point. I think the number of people, especially women, who have been damaged by shoes is probably more than people here realize.

Lady's shoes are obviously damaging, and lots of women don't care. I think the style does go back to when upper class females wanted to show they don't need to walk.

But what most do not realize is that supportive shoes and sneakers may also be damaging. Men can be damaged by their shoes, even though their shoes are flat and much better than lady's high heels.

I already knew that flip flops are controversial when I posted this. And there are flip flops that are uncomfortable and hard to walk in.

But if you get the right ones, you may find that they are almost like not wearing any shoes at all. The toes are free to spread out as they are supposed to, which keeps the foot in its correct alignment.

I wore cheap flip flops and unsupportive sneakers like Converse for many years without problems and then one day I started to have problems like serious foot pain. I also went barefoot almost all of the time while indoors. I still do for the most part. I also never wore those fancy lady shoes with heels and pointed toes that you keep talking about. At this point in my life I can only wear shoes that provide stability and arch support. If I don’t, I’ll pay the price in pain.

Wearing flip flops is not even close to the same as being barefoot. Your toe curls in in an unnatural way to keep the flip flop on your foot. Your foot can also roll due to the lack of stability. One can absolutely wear shoes where their toes spread. I have shoes on right now and can spread my toes with ease.

I’m glad that wearing old navy flip flops year round works great for you but to imply that it works for everyone is ridiculous. It’s not based on anything other then your personal experience. My personal experience with unsupportive shoes is the exact opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 04:43 PM

8,546 posts, read 5,271,345 times
Quote:
I don't think modern women wear narrow pointy shoes to make their feet narrow. It's to give the impression of narrowness, of having graceful feminine feet. No, we are not in ancient China now, but that kind of thinking has lingered at least subconsciously.

Women who wear comfortable clothes and try to be natural can be looked down at by some. We don't seem to make any effort to show that we aren't poor. Ironically, it is more likely for educated women to dress this way. No makeup, no hair dye, yoga clothes, flip flops, etc. But our subconscious attitude about feminine beauty remains, to some extent.

The pointy toes and heels give the illusion of longer legs. Thatís why people wear them. The people who wear them are not thinking about comfort.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:50 PM

5,513 posts, read 3,367,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The pointy toes and heels give the illusion of longer legs. That’s why people wear them. The people who wear them are not thinking about comfort.
They're also not thinking about how they are damaging their feet. Of course, wearing pointed-toed heels is not the ONLY way to damage one's feet, but it is a major factor in our society.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:54 PM

13,415 posts, read 7,152,384 times
Quote:
I don't think modern women wear narrow pointy shoes to make their feet narrow. It's to give the impression of narrowness, of having graceful feminine feet. No, we are not in ancient China now, but that kind of thinking has lingered at least subconsciously.

Women who wear comfortable clothes and try to be natural can be looked down at by some. We don't seem to make any effort to show that we aren't poor. Ironically, it is more likely for educated women to dress this way. No makeup, no hair dye, yoga clothes, flip flops, etc. But our subconscious attitude about feminine beauty remains, to some extent.
More recent theories about foot binding is that it was related to economics, not aesthetics... If you can stomach it:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/21/healt...ory/index.html

Old 10-08-2018, 04:59 PM

3,052 posts, read 1,216,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
They're also not thinking about how they are damaging their feet. Of course, wearing pointed-toed heels is not the ONLY way to damage one's feet, but it is a major factor in our society.
There are a variety of issues that cause foot damage. I have foot damage partially because my feet are very triangular and they either fall off in the back or are too tight in the front, so I have ended up with a bunion on one side (likely the bigger side) because it has been so hard to find shoes that fit. I find that in many cases lower heels fit better than flatter shoes, which were always the tightest through the toebox. Flip flops donít help either since the gripping tends to cause more inward motion of the toes.

The reality is that shoes are just more forgiving for different sizes in men, while in women, the different shape of the foot can make it difficult. If you have certain foot shapes, you are going to be more prone to have problems regardless of what type of shoe you wear (particularly in the past when workplaces were more strict about what types of footwear was allowed).

Old 10-08-2018, 05:14 PM

3,439 posts, read 934,910 times
Quote:
I wore cheap flip flops and unsupportive sneakers like Converse for many years without problems and then one day I started to have problems like serious foot pain. I also went barefoot almost all of the time while indoors. I still do for the most part. I also never wore those fancy lady shoes with heels and pointed toes that you keep talking about. At this point in my life I can only wear shoes that provide stability and arch support. If I donít, Iíll pay the price in pain.

Wearing flip flops is not even close to the same as being barefoot. Your toe curls in in an unnatural way to keep the flip flop on your foot. Your foot can also roll due to the lack of stability. One can absolutely wear shoes where their toes spread. I have shoes on right now and can spread my toes with ease.

Iím glad that wearing old navy flip flops year round works great for you but to imply that it works for everyone is ridiculous. Itís not based on anything other then your personal experience. My personal experience with unsupportive shoes is the exact opposite.
I realize this is just my personal experience. I am sharing it as my personal experience here, and no one is forced to believe it.

Flip flops are almost the same as going barefoot, if you have the right kind, and if you walk consciously. I don't curl my toes to keep them on. They just stay on.

I have never tried anything more similar to barefoot, but I have seen pictures of barefoot shoes. I thought about trying them, but they're expensive and flip flops are so cheap. And they feel good, to me.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
The pointy toes and heels give the illusion of longer legs. Thatís why people wear them. The people who wear them are not thinking about comfort.
They make you look graceful, if you are young and thin. The effect does not work for overweight women.

No, they are not thinking about comfort, they are thinking about beauty. Big feet have always been considered ugly for women. High heels make your legs seem longer, and they also make your feet seem smaller.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:20 PM

18,047 posts, read 17,182,887 times
I've read that the best thing for your feet is to walk in beach sand. And when I lived by the beach, did I ever! Especially in that semi hard sand down by the water's edge where you get more support than in the soft white sand up higher.

Those extremely high heels with the pointy toes have been in style before--I know because I wore them. ONCE.
One day of those shoes landed me in the podiatrist's office with a painfully ingrown toenail from having my toes mashed together. AND, I was definitely not trying to make my feet look narrow. As I said, I already have narrow feet.

All I was doing was trying to be "in style." I was in so much pain from those stupid shoes that I might have missed my own high school graduation. But I was lucky--I learned my lesson young. Wear the shoes that are best for your feet. Think long range too--just because they don't hurt your feet today, doesn't mean they couldn't be harming your feet in the long run.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've read that the best thing for your feet is to walk in beach sand. And when I lived by the beach, did I ever! Especially in that semi hard sand down by the water's edge where you get more support than in the soft white sand up higher.

Those extremely high heels with the pointy toes have been in style before--I know because I wore them. ONCE.
One day of those shoes landed me in the podiatrist's office with a painfully ingrown toenail from having my toes mashed together. AND, I was definitely not trying to make my feet look narrow. As I said, I already have narrow feet.

All I was doing was trying to be "in style." I was in so much pain from those stupid shoes that I might have missed my own high school graduation. But I was lucky--I learned my lesson young. Wear the shoes that are best for your feet. Think long range too--just because they don't hurt your feet today, doesn't mean they couldn't be harming your feet in the long run.
Yes walking barefoot on the beach is the best thing for your feet, I have heard, and also think it feels good.

I never tried wearing spike heel pointy shoes. But I did wear flat pointy shoes. It took me a long time and a lot of experimentation to figure out that I just hate most shoes.

There are some shoes that aren't bad though, if I can get wide width. But flip flops with socks in the winter has turned out to be easiest.

I worked in offices for many years and didn't wear shoes. Cheap imitation Uggs can be comfortable, and everyone in the office thinks you're wearing real Uggs. In the summer, most of the other women wore flip flops anyway.

Look around and notice how many people are wearing these things! I hadn't really thought about that, but I will start noticing. No matter what the doctors and the shoe companies say, a lot of people don't like shoes.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:57 PM

4,124 posts, read 1,727,255 times
Quote:
Sorry to hear you are so rigidly stuck in conventional footwear ideas.

Flip flops and thermal socks are actually a solution to an age-old dilemma.
"Conventional footwear ideas". Bwahahahahahahaha

You mean like almost all normal people usually wear everyday? We all must be missing that age old dilemma of not looking like we've lost our minds.

And women are more educated that don't wear makeup and yoga clothes? Lol. I see the undertone of this thread is about society/beauty and the horrible notion of people wanting to look nice. How dare they!

I get it....you're so edgy and better than the rest of us uneducated WOMEN. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or