U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 09:53 PM

3,450 posts, read 934,910 times

Advertisements

I decided to start noticing what people wear on their feet, when I'm shopping or whatever. So far, sneakers is probably the most common. At least sneakers don't hurt your feet, but they can be expensive and they're hot in the summer. I can't understand wearing socks in the summer.

I also saw flip flops today. But since it isn't summer, there weren't that many.

True, you can trip on flip flops. Recently I was forced into climbing a mountain wearing Croc flip flops, and that is definitely not a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 10:02 PM

2,935 posts, read 1,029,830 times
How were you "forced into climbing a mountain" at all, and in Croc flip-flops, specifically?

Weird.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:12 AM

69,357 posts, read 79,558,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
As you age, your foot arch drops and you end up with flat feet. You don't notice it until your feet start hurting when you are older...it aches and can be quite painful.

So foot dr told me they are the worst...no support of any kind. There are a few flip flop companies that make them with a firm arch but still, they just can't beat closed shoes with a firm sole, solid arch support.

I still have ff, of course.
I agree and I don't feel safe in them either. I do wear them, most of us do but on a regular basis and for our regular walk NO WAY!! I guess we are all different. Give me a good tennis type show for any serious walking.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:23 AM

9,126 posts, read 3,940,319 times
Years ago I had two separate incidences of plantar fasciitis and my podiatrist said flip flops are a no-no. However this new chiropractor I am going to told me to take any soft, cushy insoles out of any shoe I have and put in a flat insole. He also said walking barefoot is ideal which I do in my own house anyway. It's hard to know who to believe anymore.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Years ago I had two separate incidences of plantar fasciitis and my podiatrist said flip flops are a no-no. However this new chiropractor I am going to told me to take any soft, cushy insoles out of any shoe I have and put in a flat insole. He also said walking barefoot is ideal which I do in my own house anyway. It's hard to know who to believe anymore.
There are the old myths, and there are the new ideas. We can't be sure which is more correct, unless we do our own experiments.

I think your podiatrist was stuck believing in the old myth, about needing softness and support. The new chiropractor has the right idea, according to my experience.

I described before how I heard a guy from India saying the feet need a hard surface, at least sometimes. I had never heard anything like that from an American. So that is what made me start to question the old myth.

Barefoot is ideal because it allows the foot to land correctly, the way it was designed to work. Almost all shoes, including sneakers, interfere with that in some way. Flips allow the foot to work almost naturally.

There probably is something better than cheap flip flops. But they are definitely ok.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
How were you "forced into climbing a mountain" at all, and in Croc flip-flops, specifically?

Weird.
I was visiting a relative who is a fanatic about climbing mountains. I don't like climbing mountains, and I thought I had a good excuse because I only had flip flops. He made me go anyway, and it was not fun. I was really afraid of tripping and getting hurt, and I had to be extremely careful. Fortunately, it was only a short hike because we started near the top.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:02 AM

9,160 posts, read 6,347,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I lived in SW Florida for 10 years. Yeah, the Flip Flop is the State Shoe, even with Evening Gowns. However, you have to consider the safety issues.

At home if I had to climb on anything, I took off the flip flops and went barefoot.

I worked in Florida Public Schools with disabled children in wheelchairs. We were allowed to wear flip flops to work, but I thought it far too dangerous. Besides not wanting my toes smashed under a wheelchair, I did not want to risk tripping in flip flops while I was holding these children getting them in and out of their chairs. VERY HOT wearing athletic shoes and socks, but definitely safer with the special needs kids.
LOL, guess the flipflops with the rhinestones would be the ones that went with evening gowns.

I worked in healthcare settings for many years and we were required to wear closed toe shoes. This was for safety purposes mostly, and as you describe in your work setting, flip flops would make it very hard to maneuver as you need to to care for special needs anybody, or patients. It was also for the protection of the employee-exposed toes are vulnerable toes in those settings.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:23 AM

9,160 posts, read 6,347,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I was visiting a relative who is a fanatic about climbing mountains. I don't like climbing mountains, and I thought I had a good excuse because I only had flip flops. He made me go anyway, and it was not fun. I was really afraid of tripping and getting hurt, and I had to be extremely careful. Fortunately, it was only a short hike because we started near the top.
I'd have unequivocally refused to climb any mountain (or even hike through the woods) with sandals, or even if I didn't have rubber soled close toed shoes (as in sneakers or similar shoes) to wear.

I wear sandals most of the time, but I don't wear them when I work outside (or even climb a ladder these days), and I don't wear them when I have to move anything heavy (or help someone else move something). Maybe it's my native klutziness, but I find my feet are more stable doing those sorts of things when I'm wearing shoes, and in the event one bumps one's foot toe first into something, or something falls on those toes, they're a lot less vulnerable and less likely to be banged up/broken if they're protected by sturdy shoes.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:29 AM

8,546 posts, read 5,271,345 times
Iíve had both Achilles tendonitis and Plantar Fasciitis at the same time. I found that shoes with cushy memory foam inserts but without good arch support were bad as were inserts for such conditions. Flip flops or other flimsy shoes were almost crippling and going barefoot was sadly not an option (I love being barefoot at home) but orthotic like inserts with a stable shoes base were good. Anything else just keep the pain going. It went away when I bought a pair of quality sneakers with good arch supports and a stable base and wore them every single day.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:11 AM

21,534 posts, read 26,146,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Flips allow the foot to work almost naturally.
Not according to the video I posted previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or