U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:13 AM

13,409 posts, read 7,152,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'd have unequivocally refused to climb any mountain (or even hike through the woods) with sandals, or even if I didn't have rubber soled close toed shoes (as in sneakers or similar shoes) to wear.

I wear sandals most of the time, but I don't wear them when I work outside (or even climb a ladder these days), and I don't wear them when I have to move anything heavy (or help someone else move something). Maybe it's my native klutziness, but I find my feet are more stable doing those sorts of things when I'm wearing shoes, and in the event one bumps one's foot toe first into something, or something falls on those toes, they're a lot less vulnerable and less likely to be banged up/broken if they're protected by sturdy shoes.
If I'm doing tasks where I'm going up and down stairs, carrying stuff, etc. I really don't like wearing flip flops that might slip off my feet - I don't like mules or slides, either for that purpose.

And I positively cringe when I see people mowing the lawn in flip flops or other flimsy shoes! My sister almost had all the toes of one foot cut off by a mower and was only saved by the heavy tennis shoes she was wearing. Shoes DO serve a protective purpose in many cases and we'd be naive to think that humans just "invented" them to make women's feet look narrower/smaller/shorter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 11:28 AM

3,051 posts, read 1,216,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not according to the video I posted previously.
Correct. When I walk in bare feet, which I do at home or in yoga, I am not gripping anything with my toes to get them to stay on my feet. You are also likely not stepping like you normally would since the back often flips down. Flip flops alter the gait quite a bit. If I want my feet not to be hot, there are plenty of supportive sandals out there.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:57 PM

3,421 posts, read 934,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not according to the video I posted previously.
I didn't see your video, but I'm sure it would be possible to find someone walking incorrectly in flip flops.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'd have unequivocally refused to climb any mountain (or even hike through the woods) with sandals, or even if I didn't have rubber soled close toed shoes (as in sneakers or similar shoes) to wear.
You don't know my relatives. You're lucky.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:17 PM

2,823 posts, read 500,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I have been walking at least an hour a day for most of my life, and I think the best shoes for walking are certain kinds of flip flops. For example, I think the cheap ones you can buy at Old Navy are very good.

Recently, someone told me flip flops are the worst thing for your feet, because they have no arch supports. I have also read that somewhere, and I think it is a myth.

If you walk a lot, and your posture is ok, then your feet muscles will be strong. There won't be any need for shoes that support the arches.

Flip flops are good because they don't squeeze the toes, and it feels almost the same as walking barefoot. Barefoot would be ideal, except we need protection from heat and cold, broken glass, etc.

In cold weather, you can wear thermal socks with flip flops. It is not hard to squeeze the socks between the big toe and the other toes.

However, in cold wet weather, or if there is deep snow on the ground, you need waterproof shoes of some kind. Aside from that, flip flops are the best, in my many years of walking experience.

Some flip flops are no good for walking. They have to be flexible, with no sharp edges to cause blisters. That's why the cheapest are often the best.

But I also got shoes at a discount store that are very soft, like socks with rubber soles, and those are good too.

I do not own any expensive sneakers or walking shoes. I hate most shoes.
I wear flip flops as I am diabetic, and do not want my feet/toes damaged in the house. Normal slippers do not give me the protection.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:30 PM

21,526 posts, read 26,146,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I didn't see your video, but I'm sure it would be possible to find someone walking incorrectly in flip flops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz37HCFuJpM

Old 10-10-2018, 03:07 PM

9,159 posts, read 6,347,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
If I'm doing tasks where I'm going up and down stairs, carrying stuff, etc. I really don't like wearing flip flops that might slip off my feet - I don't like mules or slides, either for that purpose.

And I positively cringe when I see people mowing the lawn in flip flops or other flimsy shoes! My sister almost had all the toes of one foot cut off by a mower and was only saved by the heavy tennis shoes she was wearing. Shoes DO serve a protective purpose in many cases and we'd be naive to think that humans just "invented" them to make women's feet look narrower/smaller/shorter.
For sure, wearing any type of shoes that slip off the feet easily has the potential to do a number on the wearer trying to climb a ladder, climb anything for that matter, might cause the wearer to trip, stumble, skid on a slippery surface, you name it. And the potential for injuries to the toes under various circumstances is, as I see it, along with not wanting to freeze one's toes off, great reasons for closed toed and otherwise sturdy shoes that will stay on the feet.

And I imagine, back when our ancestors roamed through cold hostile climates ( around the glaciers during the last Ice Age, perhaps), they devised both foot covering, and maybe body covering as well, to protect themselves from the elements. And I bet they didn't care how narrow and delicate those foot coverings made their feet look.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:43 PM

2,803 posts, read 1,503,725 times
When the opportunity to wear no socks and shoes presents itself-warm weather- I take it. Just like clothes on the body, the less the better IMO.

When in Hawaii recently I hauled two tons of mulch in multiple wheel barrow loads wearing them. Some shade tree mechanics around there wear them while working on cars. Not sure I'd do that, but perhaps.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:23 AM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
If the weather is so hot that regular shoes are not comfortable there are a lot of sandals that should work and be safer than flip flops. I do go barefoot a lot in the house or run around in just socks. I don't even feel safe driving with flip flops on. I do wear them once in awhile and have some pretty cute ones. Obviously it is a matter of what works for you, but I can not imagine they are good for anyone on a regular basis

Old 10-11-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I'll go with what my podiatrist said...
Blind faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or