U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 09:10 AM

3,022 posts, read 1,647,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Obviously it is a matter of what works for you, but I can not imagine they are good for anyone on a regular basis
Why not? If you have flat feet/ feet hurting after wearing them, then that is probably an indication they're not working for you.

Otherwise, they're basically the same as the traditional zori footwear of Japan and huarache of Mexico.

Even in modern times there are hill people in Mexico wearing a similar type of footwear for all activities, including what they're famous for-running long distances. A group of them were invited to America for a ultramarathon race, were given running shoes and tried them out but then discarded them for their "flip flops". https://expertvagabond.com/tarahumara-runners/ And of course there was the barefoot Olympic marathon winner from Africa. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abebe_Bikila

I think Americans tend to worry too much about safety and what their doctors say. Barefoot feels great, flip flops are, in most cases, the only extra level of protection needed for many people.

Driving in them? Yes, I understand the concern there and wear shoes or a sandal that fastens front and rear for this activity.

Last edited by Blind Cleric; 10-11-2018 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 AM

3,022 posts, read 1,647,715 times
Q: What did the enemy wear in the Vietnam war? Flip flops, partly-maybe mostly- because they were cheap. However, they also proved to be a better choice than combat boots for foot health in jungle conditions.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:33 AM

8,583 posts, read 5,433,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Blind faith.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:37 AM

426 posts, read 169,215 times
Quote:
If you walk a lot, and your posture is ok, then your feet muscles will be strong. There won't be any need for shoes that support the arches.
Quote:
Arches won't fall if your feet get enough exercise. Wearing shoes probably causes weak arches. I can't say that for certain, just a hypothesis. We evolved to walk barefoot, so I think that is the most natural and the best. However, as I said, our feet need protection from the bad weather and broken glass, etc.
I spent the majority of my childhood summer days running around barefoot. I had miles of trails to explore and loved it. In my teen years I started to get pains in my feet because I needed - guess what - arch supports. I still take frequent miles long walks and I still need arch supports.

Evolution gave some of us light skin that allows for vitamin D absorption but also more likelihood of sunburns and some have very dark skin that protects against sunburn but isn't so good for vitamin D absorption where the weather is cloudy. Does it make sense to think that everybody's feed would be exactly the same?

Old 10-11-2018, 10:43 AM

13,676 posts, read 15,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
As you age, your foot arch drops and you end up with flat feet. You don't notice it until your feet start hurting when you are older...it aches and can be quite painful.

So foot dr told me they are the worst...no support of any kind. There are a few flip flop companies that make them with a firm arch but still, they just can't beat closed shoes with a firm sole, solid arch support.

I still have ff, of course.
I'm more in the camp of addressing physical weakness rather than trying to get devices to work around it. It's not always possible. Do some of the exercises that runners do. I still hate flip-flops because they fall off. You have to alter gait by flexing your toes or raising your foot to keep them from flying off. Result for me is shin pain from overuse of a muscle. Might be fine for a mile but if I'm walking around in them a lot, hello shin pain. That might not be a problem for someone who wears them all the time as they're used to the altered gait.

It's no different with shoes. I've gradually moved to minimalist running shoes. Would they work for me for marathons? I don't know. I don't run marathons. They work fine for my shorter 3-5 mile runs or 10-20 mile hikes. But there was a transition. Since I have a low arch I used to use fat stack/stability control type shoes that altered gait to compensate. Moving away from those I had to develop my ankle and foot muscles as the 0 drop means there's a lot more elevation of the foot relative to a more motion control fat stack shoe like a Brooks Addict which has 12 mm drop so same type of shin pain as with flip flops.

Pronate/supinate, it's the same deal. You can either by shoes designed to minimize that or develop your musculature to do it. I prefer the latter. There's limitations. There's as much fad as there is science but the consensus, as much as there is one as there isn't, is towards zero or minimal drop as being preferential to fat shoes. Running with high heel shoes may alleviate some pain if you have weak musculature but it's treating the symptom. The underlying condition causing the pain persists. The altered gait and weak musculature results in more injury, or so the though process goes. Now that I've adapted to it, zero drop just feels more comfortable to me. Now, if I could just find zero drop dress shoes.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:54 AM

3,575 posts, read 1,032,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Even in modern times there are hill people in Mexico wearing a similar type of footwear for all activities, including what they're famous for-running long distances. A group of them were invited to America for a ultramarathon race, were given running shoes and tried them out but then discarded them for their "flip flops". https://expertvagabond.com/tarahumara-runners/
I like those! They are better than the ones we have here, because they look more stable. I would like to have flip flops that don't flop at all in the back.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:58 AM

3,575 posts, read 1,032,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
I spent the majority of my childhood summer days running around barefoot. I had miles of trails to explore and loved it. In my teen years I started to get pains in my feet because I needed - guess what - arch supports. I still take frequent miles long walks and I still need arch supports.

Evolution gave some of us light skin that allows for vitamin D absorption but also more likelihood of sunburns and some have very dark skin that protects against sunburn but isn't so good for vitamin D absorption where the weather is cloudy. Does it make sense to think that everybody's feed would be exactly the same?
I don't think anyone here said everyone's feet are exactly the same. In general, I think nature designed our bodies to work efficiently. I do not think it would have designed feet that require arch supports. That makes no sense in terms of evolution.

However, nature does make mistakes and your feet could be defective. I think it is much more likely, however, that the pain in your feet results from lower back misalignment.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:59 PM

8,809 posts, read 9,112,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Flip flops are “artificial support” You’re not walking in the same manner with flip flops as you would be if you walked barefoot. When you walk with flip flops your toes grip to keep them on. It can lead to serious problems over the long term. Why not walk barefoot?

HUmans have been wearing shoes for 400,000 years.

Narrow feet are not any more abnormal then wide feet.
My flip flops fit well, so I am not "gripping" to keep them on. My stride is the same as going barefoot, I just have the added protection of the shoe itself.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:03 PM

8,809 posts, read 9,112,570 times
Quote:
I decided to start noticing what people wear on their feet, when I'm shopping or whatever. So far, sneakers is probably the most common. At least sneakers don't hurt your feet, but they can be expensive and they're hot in the summer. I can't understand wearing socks in the summer.

I also saw flip flops today. But since it isn't summer, there weren't that many.

True, you can trip on flip flops. Recently I was forced into climbing a mountain wearing Croc flip flops, and that is definitely not a good idea.
I live in Phoenix where I can wear sandals or flip flops about 10 and a half months of the year (all except for usually December and part of January), then I switch to boots. But I much prefer my flip flops! Never with socks, though. I hate socks and wear them as little as possible.

I don't find sneakers comfortable at all, never have. Too constricting. I much prefer to be barefoot or in sandals or flip flops.

I swear by Reef flip flops, the good old basic Stargazer style. I've put a lot of miles on many pairs of them. I've walked all over Las Vegas, as much as 8-10 miles in one day in them!

Old 10-11-2018, 01:09 PM

8,583 posts, read 5,433,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
My flip flops fit well, so I am not "gripping" to keep them on. My stride is the same as going barefoot, I just have the added protection of the shoe itself.
That’s cool. Most people do grip though, even subtly when wearing flip flops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or