U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2018, 02:01 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
17,976 posts, read 17,131,123 times
Reputation: 30086

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
What is not generally known is that the feet like a firm, almost hard, surface. That is what strengthens them.

Fallen arches probably result from an out of alignment spine, causing the legs to rotate inward. There could be other causes, I don't know. But strong spine and legs can keep the arches strong, in general. Some kind of yoga-like stretches are essential.

Sitting all the time gets the spine out of balance, causing knee problems, and foot problems. That is why so many Americans get these problems when they get older. Years and decades of sitting all day.
I had to wear special orthopedic shoes practically from the time I learned to walk. I needed arch support. It was born that way. I love yoga but there is no yoga stretch that would have reshaped my feet.

I was never allowed to wear sneakers or sandals. As a teenager, of course, I sometimes wore flip flops at the beach. Today I only wear flip flops at the beach or an indoor pool where you are required to wear something on your feet to prevent falling. In summer I stick to something like Birkenstocks and they truly do help with the arch support. Not the prettiest shoes, but they work for me. For special occasion shoes, it has to be a high end brand with great arch support. There are only a couple of shoe brands that I can even wear. I was born this way and it was diagnosed very early in my life.

You are dreaming up these scenarios to explain why some of us have a need for arch support. Everyone is an individual and sometimes, unfortunately, we are just born a certain way.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2018, 02:17 PM
 
8,541 posts, read 5,260,408 times
Reputation: 9100
https://www.businessinsider.com/podi...bunions-2017-5

Quote:
Flip-flops are really bad, again, because they're very flat, and they're super thin.

There's just those thin little thong straps that are holding your foot to the shoe. When you're wearing the flip-flop, your toes tend to overgrip a little bit and that can cause a lot of different types of pains, especially if you overuse them.
I feel like a lot of my foot problems are a result of wearing crappy, no support flimsy shoes in my youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2018, 02:25 PM
 
3,026 posts, read 1,206,807 times
Reputation: 5982
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
https://www.businessinsider.com/podi...bunions-2017-5



I feel like a lot of my foot problems are a result of wearing crappy, no support flimsy shoes in my youth.
Absolutely. I have really bad feet now and am 41. I wore flip flops all the time one summer in my mid-20s and I am pretty sure I had one fallen arch. That was the end of it for me. I was certainly fit at the time, walking a few miles daily in my commute up and downhill (literally). I have been doing yoga since 2002, so again, not the issue. I have a bunion on my right now that I am sure was not helped then by all the overgrippobf I was doing. I know I have had this bunion for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2018, 02:26 PM
 
Location: equator
2,604 posts, read 1,111,397 times
Reputation: 6342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Wearing flip flops to walk a lot would quickly kill my feet! I've also slid sideways off of them and fallen a number of times ending up with sprained ankles and hurt ligaments if the shoe or foot was even slightly sweaty. No thank you!
This is what happened to me. I used to live in flip-flops to the point that my closed shoes no longer fit---toes too spread out. Then I tripped in the dark on uneven ground and dislocated my artificial hip. Pain!

Our medical advisor said she sees this a lot with seniors, tripping in flip-flops, and getting injured. I also caught them on the edge of uneven pavers while playing ping-pong and fell. So reluctantly, I save them for the beach, where I can take them off, or a fall won't be disastrous. And yes, "slippery when wet!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2018, 02:48 PM
 
18,765 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Reputation: 12658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
This is what happened to me. I used to live in flip-flops to the point that my closed shoes no longer fit---toes too spread out. Then I tripped in the dark on uneven ground and dislocated my artificial hip. Pain!

Our medical advisor said she sees this a lot with seniors, tripping in flip-flops, and getting injured. I also caught them on the edge of uneven pavers while playing ping-pong and fell. So reluctantly, I save them for the beach, where I can take them off, or a fall won't be disastrous. And yes, "slippery when wet!"
Ah, I can see how the feet spread out. They just never felt right for me and stability etc. I wear my good support shoe in the house, and they are so good for my feet I bought 3 pair at one point. Give my feet a breather when I lay down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2018, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
18,975 posts, read 10,032,914 times
Reputation: 27746
I don't like the feel of flip flops (or thongs as we used to call them) so I never wear them except for getting back to my car after a pedicure.

But I do wear non-flip flop Fit Flops, the Superskate style. It was someone on CD who recommended them so I tried some out and they are amazingly comfortable, as comfy as my Skechers sneakers but I can wear them for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2018, 03:05 PM
 
3,324 posts, read 919,781 times
Reputation: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I had to wear special orthopedic shoes practically from the time I learned to walk. I needed arch support. It was born that way. I love yoga but there is no yoga stretch that would have reshaped my feet.

I was never allowed to wear sneakers or sandals. As a teenager, of course, I sometimes wore flip flops at the beach. Today I only wear flip flops at the beach or an indoor pool where you are required to wear something on your feet to prevent falling. In summer I stick to something like Birkenstocks and they truly do help with the arch support. Not the prettiest shoes, but they work for me. For special occasion shoes, it has to be a high end brand with great arch support. There are only a couple of shoe brands that I can even wear. I was born this way and it was diagnosed very early in my life.

You are dreaming up these scenarios to explain why some of us have a need for arch support. Everyone is an individual and sometimes, unfortunately, we are just born a certain way.
There are always exceptions to anything in health. I am talking about feet in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2018, 03:07 PM
 
5,499 posts, read 3,352,872 times
Reputation: 13912
My mom developed severe foot problems--bunions, crooked toes, fallen arches--as she got older and by the time she was in her 60s, she could only wear special orthopedic shoes. She had always hated flip-flops and wouldn't even buy them for us kids. She also never went barefoot that I can remember, so neither of those was the cause of her problems. In fact, her podiatrist stated that the issue was years of wearing tight shoes, especially those with heels.

With that in mind, I've made it a point to go barefoot or wear flip-flops as much as possible for my entire adult life (living in Southern California helps). I think it's more natural and healthier **for people like me with no other foot conditions.** I'm pushing 50 and have no foot problems at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2018, 03:08 PM
 
3,324 posts, read 919,781 times
Reputation: 2570
I never wear shoes at home. I think feet were meant to be naked. But my feet are strong, TG. Maybe it's because I had fibromyalgia since I was 30, and had to work on correcting my spine. I used to get terrible pain in my feet, but after correcting my spine, gradually, I never get any pain.

I think spine problems are the root of so many illnesses and disabilities. I agree with the chiropractors on that. But mainstream medicine would disagree one thousand percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2018, 03:09 PM
 
3,324 posts, read 919,781 times
Reputation: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My mom developed severe foot problems--bunions, crooked toes, fallen arches--as she got older and by the time she was in her 60s, she could only wear special orthopedic shoes. She had always hated flip-flops and wouldn't even buy them for us kids. She also never went barefoot that I can remember, so neither of those was the cause of her problems. In fact, her podiatrist stated that the issue was years of wearing tight shoes, especially those with heels.

With that in mind, I've made it a point to go barefoot or wear flip-flops as much as possible for my entire adult life (living in Southern California helps). I think it's more natural and healthier **for people like me with no other foot conditions.** I'm pushing 50 and have no foot problems at all.
Same here, except I am 66. My feet get stronger, and wider, as I get older. I doubt I could squeeze into women's shoes, even if I wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top