U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 03:18 PM

951 posts, read 324,877 times

Advertisements

Love my nike flip flops when I am walking my dog for a few blocks as I dont want to put on socks and shoes; however, when I go for my hour walks, I have to wear my Nike running shoes as they provide more comfort and support. Tried doing that in my flips, never again. So to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 03:24 PM

257 posts, read 62,605 times
These are my go-to version of flip-flops.

They're Birkenstocks and they're not cheap but they have some arch support and they're made in Germany, not in China or some other country with slave labor and a dodgy track record on quality control and the environment.

FWIW, I'm 65 and walk barefoot or in sandals any time I can, including when I'm home. My arches are very well-defined so I don't think I hurt my feet by not wearing shoes with arch supports.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:52 PM

13,755 posts, read 13,478,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
But the arch support thing is a myth, I think, started by shoe companies.
It doesn't sound like a myth, although apparently there are certain types of flip flops that are better for your feet than others. Living in southern California, we wear them all the time. Although, after reading this, now I think I will try to wear them a little less.

A podiatrist explains why flip-flops are terrible for your feet: https://www.businessinsider.com/podi...bunions-2017-5

Old 10-07-2018, 04:03 PM

4,827 posts, read 5,877,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Wearing flip flops to walk a lot would quickly kill my feet! I've also slid sideways off of them and fallen a number of times ending up with sprained ankles and hurt ligaments if the shoe or foot was even slightly sweaty. No thank you!
Not with Fit Flops, they are made for walking and comfort. I wear them at work and I walk anywhere between 5 to 9 miles on any given day.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
These are my go-to version of flip-flops.

They're Birkenstocks and they're not cheap but they have some arch support and they're made in Germany, not in China or some other country with slave labor and a dodgy track record on quality control and the environment.

FWIW, I'm 65 and walk barefoot or in sandals any time I can, including when I'm home. My arches are very well-defined so I don't think I hurt my feet by not wearing shoes with arch supports.
I am 56 and have spent most of my life barefoot at home and flip flops in most months (California). The shoes and boots I wear are made for comfort and style so they are not cheap.
I have high arches and have never had a problem with my feet nor have my feet ever changed in size.

I love Birkenstocks but they just do not fit my feet right. I had a friend who worked for them and gave me a number of pairs but no matter how much I wore them they always gave me blisters.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:54 PM

3,158 posts, read 892,562 times
Podiatrists will probably say you need arch supports. My Old Navy flip flops are flat as a board with no arch, and just the right amount of softness/hardness.

I had to see a foot doctor because of a cracked callous (probably because of that day my feet got soaked and frozen) and I asked her if my feet are ok for my age. She said my feet are great. So, as long as it isn't wet freezing weather, flip flops didn't damage my feet at all. And this is after decades.

I hate shoes, even the ones that are supposedly comfortable. But typical lady's shoes I can't even imagine wearing.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:25 PM

2,421 posts, read 1,784,179 times
I wear the Skechers flip flops. The cheap ones don't work for me. The Skechers provide good support for my feet. It depends on the brand. Google top rated brands of flip flops and find what works best for you. I also wear the summer shoes a lot because I like the better support

Old 10-07-2018, 05:33 PM

2,462 posts, read 1,280,613 times
I love my teva flip flops for walking shorter distances - less than two miles. For longer I am a Skechers convert. I used to swear by ASICS but Skechers are so much more comfortable for walking. ASICS would still probably be my running shoe of choice if I could run, but I canít anymore.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:34 PM

12,995 posts, read 10,497,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
This is what happened to me. I used to live in flip-flops to the point that my closed shoes no longer fit---toes too spread out. Then I tripped in the dark on uneven ground and dislocated my artificial hip. Pain!

Our medical advisor said she sees this a lot with seniors, tripping in flip-flops, and getting injured. I also caught them on the edge of uneven pavers while playing ping-pong and fell. So reluctantly, I save them for the beach, where I can take them off, or a fall won't be disastrous. And yes, "slippery when wet!"

I do not know if you can count Crocs in the flip-flop category? But that kind of rubber sole is extremely slippery on wet grass. My wife loved Crocs and every time she fell outside; she was wearing Crocs. That rubber is almost as slippery on wet grass as if you are walking in regular footwear on ice. It is easy for me to see where health care professionals would warn seniors against Crocs or flip-flops.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Podiatrists will probably say you need arch supports. My Old Navy flip flops are flat as a board with no arch, and just the right amount of softness/hardness.

I had to see a foot doctor because of a cracked callous (probably because of that day my feet got soaked and frozen) and I asked her if my feet are ok for my age. She said my feet are great. So, as long as it isn't wet freezing weather, flip flops didn't damage my feet at all. And this is after decades.

I hate shoes, even the ones that are supposedly comfortable. But typical lady's shoes I can't even imagine wearing.
That is why I buy Reef flip flops or Fit Flops. I do have arch supports for some of my other shoes.
I used to buy my kids Old Navy flip flops. I like Reefs and dont mind paying extra for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or