U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2018, 10:05 AM

9,152 posts, read 6,335,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Lol.

I seriously can't wrap my head around seeing someone in thick thermal socks and cheap flip flops in winter (or ever actually) without thinking they needed assistance of some sort.
Oh, it's a sight to behold, for sure.

Sandals and socks, along with bermuda shorts and T-shirts, complete with windbreakers if it's cool enough. I must admit I was taken aback a little when I first saw socks with sandals.

Here are a few pictures ro feast your eyes, LOL. Though in real life the guys I've seen were wearing shirts.

https://www.sadanduseless.com/socks-and-sandals/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 10:18 AM

1,805 posts, read 774,742 times
They make those shoes that are supposed to be basically like going barefoot (just there to give you added protection basically).I watched a documentary about barefoot running once and I did find it interesting.

I have always loved going barefoot over shoes

Old 10-08-2018, 10:53 AM

4,844 posts, read 5,906,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Sorry to hear you are so rigidly stuck in conventional footwear ideas.

Flip flops and thermal socks are actually a solution to an age-old dilemma.
I am way too vain to ever put that combo together. And your love of Old Navy flip flops is lost on me. I love flip flops, but I like a little support. My feet have not changed one bit over the years. Even my pregnancy did not make my feet wider.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:33 AM

8,542 posts, read 5,264,452 times
Quote:
My feet are wide and I can't wear lady's shoes even if I wanted to. But wide feet probably are normal, and narrow feet are from wearing shoes.

Small narrow feet are considered feminine. From the days when if you were upper class you didn't have to walk. And then there's that lovely Chinese custom.

So if we wear those pretty lady's shoes, we are actually TRYING to deform our feet so we seem to be upper class ladies who don't have to walk.

TIMES HAVE CHANGED!!
Some women naturally have narrow feet and others wide. There’s also a huge variation in “ladies” shoes. There are ladies flip flops, sneakers, dress shoes, heels, boots, etc and even in those categories a huge variation in comfort levels, width, heel height or lack of, etc.

I have been active my whole life, yet I have narrow feet that need support. If I wear flip flops too much, I end up with pain. Go figure.

Last edited by MissTerri; 10-08-2018 at 11:47 AM..

Old 10-08-2018, 12:25 PM

18,977 posts, read 10,047,592 times
Quote:
Shoes are evil!!

This thread made me feel like going to Old Navy yesterday and seeing if they had any colors I don't have yet. I found a nice color but they were men's, and I got them anyway. They are somewhat thicker and a little stiffer than the women's, but I tried them out today and they were good for fast walking. Actually better than women's for that.

The women's Old Navy flip flops are thinner and more flexible. So they are more like going barefoot.

Both are nice. The men's are a little too big for me, but flip flops don't have to fit perfectly.
Quote:
Sorry to hear you are so rigidly stuck in conventional footwear ideas.

Flip flops and thermal socks are actually a solution to an age-old dilemma.
Shoes are not evil. You are entitled to your opinions but they are just opinions, and not objective statements of fact. You are just as rigidly stuck in your own ideas as those you criticize, but there is no need to be so rude to others who have different opinions.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:41 PM

2,608 posts, read 1,114,900 times
Like Hawaii, flip-flops are the national shoe here---at least on the coast. Construction workers wear them; motorcycle riders wear them (as I cringe!) even though they wear helmets, LOL.

And I also wonder what foot problems they may have down the line...since the afore-mentioned are mostly younger.

And I have "luau feet"!

Old 10-08-2018, 12:44 PM

2,608 posts, read 1,114,900 times
[quote=Ralph_Kirk;53306068]There were two conceptual problems with the negative heel from the start.

The first is that they developed the negative heel concept from studing footprints in sand or soft earth, seeing that the heel depression was lower than the depression caused by the ball of the foot.

But their reasoning was faulty. The reason the heel depression is lower in soft earth or sand is because of the great impact when the heel of a heel-to-toe walker strikes the earth.

Second, they didn't realize that people before the advent of hard paved roads did not commonly walk heel-to-toe, but placed the ball of the foot down first, then the heel.

Heel-to-toe walking developed coincidentally with extra material on the heels to deal with hard-paved roads.[/QUO

I remember reading this somewhere, and now that I think about it, I walk "ball first" on my porcelain floors. Less chance of slipping.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:02 PM

17,994 posts, read 17,150,498 times
Quote:
My feet are wide and I can't wear lady's shoes even if I wanted to. But wide feet probably are normal, and narrow feet are from wearing shoes.

Small narrow feet are considered feminine. From the days when if you were upper class you didn't have to walk. And then there's that lovely Chinese custom.

So if we wear those pretty lady's shoes, we are actually TRYING to deform our feet so we seem to be upper class ladies who don't have to walk.

TIMES HAVE CHANGED!!
You are making it up as you go along. Making things up to fit your theories.

Wide feet are normal? Narrow feet are from wearing shoes?

Just as I was born with bad arches (the way the feet are shaped before you even wore a shoe for the first time) I was also born with narrow feet. Yes, as a baby my feet were narrow. The first shoes I ever got were NARROW. Throughout childhood I took a NARROW shoe--because that's what FIT.

As an adult I took a double A (AA) shoe. That's a narrow. I'm built narrow--there's nothing I could do about it if I wanted to. I'm probably older than you now and after all these decades of walking, I can now take a MEDIUM in a shoe. So, if anything, your feet get WIDER the more you walk, shoes or no shoes.

Those of us with narrow feet are not some aberration and we did not bind our feet or cram them into shoes so we could get narrow feet and appear "feminine" or "upper class." You need to start at the beginning and accept the fact that everyone is born different. (My dog has narrow feet.)

Old 10-08-2018, 01:34 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,546,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You are making it up as you go along. Making things up to fit your theories.

Wide feet are normal? Narrow feet are from wearing shoes?

Just as I was born with bad arches (the way the feet are shaped before you even wore a shoe for the first time) I was also born with narrow feet. Yes, as a baby my feet were narrow. The first shoes I ever got were NARROW. Throughout childhood I took a NARROW shoe--because that's what FIT.

As an adult I took a double A (AA) shoe. That's a narrow. I'm built narrow--there's nothing I could do about it if I wanted to. I'm probably older than you now and after all these decades of walking, I can now take a MEDIUM in a shoe. So, if anything, your feet get WIDER the more you walk, shoes or no shoes.

Those of us with narrow feet are not some aberration and we did not bind our feet or cram them into shoes so we could get narrow feet and appear "feminine" or "upper class." You need to start at the beginning and accept the fact that everyone is born different. (My dog has narrow feet.)
THANK YOU for a reasonable post!

From another human who was born with and still has narrow feet who never had any desire to appear fashionable or upper class. The last thing I would ever want is to spend that life a complete and utter b&*%# because some idiotic shoe hurts too much. At least these days some enlightened shoe designers recognize that not everyone wants to suffer for appearance's sake. And also that the fashion police tolerate individuality. My poor mother had a congenital toe defect on both feet; which meant that just about every shoe of her time didn't fit comfortably or injured the toes. These days she might have had some options.

Oh yeah....despite the toes she also had narrow feet for her entire life.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:58 PM

3,342 posts, read 925,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am way too vain to ever put that combo together. And your love of Old Navy flip flops is lost on me. I love flip flops, but I like a little support. My feet have not changed one bit over the years. Even my pregnancy did not make my feet wider.
Fortunately I am not vain. I would even wear Old Navy flip flops to a formal occasion. No one looks down at your feet anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or