U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2018, 01:59 PM

3,364 posts, read 930,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Shoes are not evil. You are entitled to your opinions but they are just opinions, and not objective statements of fact. You are just as rigidly stuck in your own ideas as those you criticize, but there is no need to be so rude to others who have different opinions.
Let's get real serious about this. I mean, it is a life or death problem after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Some women naturally have narrow feet and others wide. There’s also a huge variation in “ladies” shoes. There are ladies flip flops, sneakers, dress shoes, heels, boots, etc and even in those categories a huge variation in comfort levels, width, heel height or lack of, etc.

I have been active my whole life, yet I have narrow feet that need support. If I wear flip flops too much, I end up with pain. Go figure.
If your feet are narrow and need support there might be a reason. Human feet evolved over millions of years for walking long distances upright, unlike most other mammals. They should not need any artificial support.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:08 PM

You can be born with narrow feet. But some women have narrow feet from constricting shoes and from not walking a lot.

I am not trying to describe each and every person on earth, just general concepts.

The toes are meant to spread out when you walk, not squeezed together, as they can be even with sneakers.

Shoes can transform human feet into hooves. But they are meant to be flexible.

We are very different from most other animals in this. Paws and hooves are simpler. Apes and monkeys have feet that resemble their hands. But our feet evolved into something that should be efficient for upright walking.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:10 PM

8,543 posts, read 5,268,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
If your feet are narrow and need support there might be a reason. Human feet evolved over millions of years for walking long distances upright, unlike most other mammals. They should not need any artificial support.
Flip flops are “artificial support” You’re not walking in the same manner with flip flops as you would be if you walked barefoot. When you walk with flip flops your toes grip to keep them on. It can lead to serious problems over the long term. Why not walk barefoot?

HUmans have been wearing shoes for 400,000 years.

Narrow feet are not any more abnormal then wide feet.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:12 PM

8,543 posts, read 5,268,314 times
Quote:
Fortunately I am not vain. I would even wear Old Navy flip flops to a formal occasion. No one looks down at your feet anyway.
Oy, yes they do. I have a relative who I try to avoid at holiday dinners because he wears flip flops year round and I don’t want to look at his long yellow toenails while trying to enjoy my meal.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:14 PM

21,512 posts, read 26,128,168 times
Quote:
You can be born with narrow feet. But some women have narrow feet from constricting shoes and from not walking a lot.

I am not trying to describe each and every person on earth, just general concepts.

The toes are meant to spread out when you walk, not squeezed together, as they can be even with sneakers.

Shoes can transform human feet into hooves. But they are meant to be flexible.

We are very different from most other animals in this. Paws and hooves are simpler. Apes and monkeys have feet that resemble their hands. But our feet evolved into something that should be efficient for upright walking.
No, American women do not "have narrow feet from constricting shoes and from not walking a lot."

I doubt you would find a single woman in this country who would tolerate wearing shoes so narrow that they permanently change the width of the entire foot. That would have to be done from birth, too. Those of us with narrow feet were born that way.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:18 PM

4,178 posts, read 1,558,100 times
Quote:
You are forgetting the inescapable fact that no one complies with some physically perfect functional ideal, even you. There is too much genetic variation and opportunity for mutations to demonstrate themselves for that. Not to mention accumulated injuries during a lifetime. Injuries to tendons, ligaments, muscles, bones, wearing shoes or not. There is more than one way to skin a cat....there is more than one acceptably functional human foot shape/structure. Just because you find some mysterious fault with some of them doesn't change that. Last time I checked the human genome didn't care what it SHOULD and SHOULD NOT express. Silly debate that this plantigrade primate has now lost interest in.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-08-2018 at 02:42 PM..

Old 10-08-2018, 02:43 PM

I don't like shoes and I don't think they are good for your feet. I can't force my opinion on anyone! This is just my opinion! Don't get overly heated up!

I believe that natural is better, whenever possible. Many disagree with that philosophy, I know. I believe that we were engineered by evolution, guided by universal intelligence. If you are an atheist that statement could make you very angry!! I know!! But it's ok, this is just my opinion!

Modern life is unnatural in many ways, and I believe that many of our worst diseases have resulted from that.

Not just diseases, but also things that may just be annoying, like the aches and pains that supposedly must result from age. And that require joint replacement surgery.

What if some of those knee replacements could have been avoided by not wearing shoes? Just a thought, just my opinion, nobody needs to get all worked up.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:46 PM

4,851 posts, read 5,912,282 times
Quote:
Fortunately I am not vain. I would even wear Old Navy flip flops to a formal occasion. No one looks down at your feet anyway.
Good for you, but I am a professional at my job and I my appearance matters. I can wear my Fit Flops to work as long as they are not the real casual ones. And people look at feet all the time.
I take it you are retired or no one sees you at your job.

And nothing wrong with a little vanity. Being vain keeps me at a good weight and healthy.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:48 PM

4,851 posts, read 5,912,282 times
Quote:
That may be true but we invented shoes with support. I guess humans realized that they could cover a lot more ground in comfort by wearing shoes.

You have a lot of ideas that you try and sell off as facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or