Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 09:27 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,246,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
You got it. Florida retirees winter footwear.
Lol.

I seriously can't wrap my head around seeing someone in thick thermal socks and cheap flip flops in winter (or ever actually) without thinking they needed assistance of some sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 09:33 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I love this thread. I love flip flops and sandals. I love going barefoot. I hate shoes in general.

I just bought a pair of Fit Flops based on comments in this thread, thank you, excited to try them out.

I used to live in Rainbow sandals and added a couple of pairs of less expensive flip flops with memory foam.

18 months ago I bought a pair of Earth Runners and I love them. I wear them to work, walking, church, shopping, everywhere except when hiking in the mountains, then I'll wear my hiking boots. I'm always barefoot at home.
I just bought some Earth shoes for work. They are very cute, black slip on sneaker-type. I love them. They are very comfortable and I can walk at work, and they look good!

Old 10-08-2018, 09:34 AM

840 posts, read 773,066 times
I like to have room to wiggle my toes in my shoes, so, I purchase them a 1/2 to full size larger than I supposedly need them to be. This gives my toes room to move around & get comfortable, instead of being cramped in a straight jacket!

Flip flops on my feet do what that right top video posted by someone else above does . . . they roll off the inner edges . . . very uncomfortable & unbalancing! Besides that, they are always about to fall off, and my toe space is very small, so uncomfortable to put anything between them!

Old 10-08-2018, 09:44 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,418,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
OP, I walk A LOT and I always have. As a kid, I walked everywhere, played sports, etc. I was always on my feet. And I still walk a lot---some days I go for long walks just to go for long walks! (I'm talking 5+ hours of straight walking.) Therefore, I would say I am someone who has "strong feet" based on what you believe.

I cannot do this in flip flops or flat shoes. If I wear flat shoes (like ballet style), I will not only get swelling in my feet and ankles but my joints will be KILLING me. Same applies for flip flops.

My friend did not believe that someone would be so sensitive to walking in flip flops, so I sent her a picture of my feet after walking around in flip flops all day (Old Navy flip flops no less, which I don't find to be that great) and the swelling---BLECH. My feet looked terrible.

I pretty much wear sneakers every day and that's all my feet can handle. I do believe that people are different and what works for me might not work for you and vice versa. My friend wears ballet flats all of the time and if I walk around in them for a little while, I will pay for that in joint pain.
You might have some overly tense muscles that need to be stretched. Maybe in the ankles or legs somewhere, or lower back. I would try stretching all of those.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Flipflops are our state shoe.

Despite that I would never exercise in them. Stroll? Sure. But exercise? Heck no. I could never get my heart rate up wearing such flimsy support.

You've posted before that you think modern shoes, beds and chairs cause arthritis, but that's pretty far out there as far as theories go.

I do have a pair of flipflops that cost quite a bit, and they are super comfortable, still wouldn't exercise in them.

We do have a local phenomenon called "luau feet" here. It's caused by people who only where flipflops and it makes there feet spread out and become super wide. Causes problems when they DO need a pair of normal shoes.

People have all kinds of foot problems here from wearing flipflops all the time.
My feet are wide and I can't wear lady's shoes even if I wanted to. But wide feet probably are normal, and narrow feet are from wearing shoes.

Small narrow feet are considered feminine. From the days when if you were upper class you didn't have to walk. And then there's that lovely Chinese custom.

So if we wear those pretty lady's shoes, we are actually TRYING to deform our feet so we seem to be upper class ladies who don't have to walk.

TIMES HAVE CHANGED!!

Old 10-08-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I love this thread. I love flip flops and sandals. I love going barefoot. I hate shoes in general.

I just bought a pair of Fit Flops based on comments in this thread, thank you, excited to try them out.

I used to live in Rainbow sandals and added a couple of pairs of less expensive flip flops with memory foam.

18 months ago I bought a pair of Earth Runners and I love them. I wear them to work, walking, church, shopping, everywhere except when hiking in the mountains, then I'll wear my hiking boots. I'm always barefoot at home.
Shoes are evil!!

This thread made me feel like going to Old Navy yesterday and seeing if they had any colors I don't have yet. I found a nice color but they were men's, and I got them anyway. They are somewhat thicker and a little stiffer than the women's, but I tried them out today and they were good for fast walking. Actually better than women's for that.

The women's Old Navy flip flops are thinner and more flexible. So they are more like going barefoot.

Both are nice. The men's are a little too big for me, but flip flops don't have to fit perfectly.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:53 AM

294 posts, read 219,596 times
I have had foot problems and had 2 foot surgeries, arch support is extremely important and the OP will figure it out later in life and will regret their decision. If you are overweight it is even more important. Your body will wear out someday, take care of it now while there is time.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:54 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
My feet are wide and I can't wear lady's shoes even if I wanted to. But wide feet probably are normal, and narrow feet are from wearing shoes.

Small narrow feet are considered feminine. From the days when if you were upper class you didn't have to walk. And then there's that lovely Chinese custom.

So if we wear those pretty lady's shoes, we are actually TRYING to deform our feet so we seem to be upper class ladies who don't have to walk.

TIMES HAVE CHANGED!!
I have narrow feet. They have been that way since I was born and are not due to "wearing shoes." I buy "lady's shoes" that fit and are comfortable. They do exist. Not every woman wears shoes that will deform her feet.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Lol.

I seriously can't wrap my head around seeing someone in thick thermal socks and cheap flip flops in winter (or ever actually) without thinking they needed assistance of some sort.
Sorry to hear you are so rigidly stuck in conventional footwear ideas.

Flip flops and thermal socks are actually a solution to an age-old dilemma.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Larry View Post
I have had foot problems and had 2 foot surgeries, arch support is extremely important and the OP will figure it out later in life and will regret their decision. If you are overweight it is even more important. Your body will wear out someday, take care of it now while there is time.
I am already later in life. Your body wears out much slower than you expect if you walk every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness