Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2018, 06:38 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Yes walking barefoot on the beach is the best thing for your feet, I have heard, and also think it feels good.

I never tried wearing spike heel pointy shoes. But I did wear flat pointy shoes. It took me a long time and a lot of experimentation to figure out that I just hate most shoes.

There are some shoes that aren't bad though, if I can get wide width. But flip flops with socks in the winter has turned out to be easiest.

I worked in offices for many years and didn't wear shoes. Cheap imitation Uggs can be comfortable, and everyone in the office thinks you're wearing real Uggs. In the summer, most of the other women wore flip flops anyway.

Look around and notice how many people are wearing these things! I hadn't really thought about that, but I will start noticing. No matter what the doctors and the shoe companies say, a lot of people don't like shoes.
I don't know where you live but around here, and in most northern states, if you wore socks and flip flips in winter, your toes would get frostbitten. In other words, your toes might have to be amputated.

Also, you need a good grip on the ice and frozen snow and flip flips probably won't be enough. I don't see anyone wearing flip flops around here except at the beach or maybe on a quick run to the store in summer.

People tend to wear good sandals in summer. Not much different than flip flops in some ways but they often have something to hold them on at the heel. And good sandals or good shoes of any kind will have "give." They are usually made of leather, and leather expands. If people are wearing cheap, poorly made vinyl shoes, I can see how they would hurt and constrict the feet.

My favorite form of shoe is still clogs. Big wide toe box, shock absorbing cork soles, lots of "give", good arch support (in my case), and even though there isn't much to them, they protect your feet from whatever you might step on when you are out walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 07:21 PM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
I realize this is just my personal experience. I am sharing it as my personal experience here, and no one is forced to believe it.

Flip flops are almost the same as going barefoot, if you have the right kind, and if you walk consciously. I don't curl my toes to keep them on. They just stay on.

I have never tried anything more similar to barefoot, but I have seen pictures of barefoot shoes. I thought about trying them, but they're expensive and flip flops are so cheap. And they feel good, to me.
Our feet must be the same because I don't have to curl my toes to grip my flip flops either, they are very natural for me and I like the feeling of the thong between the toes. I used to have to curl my toes with the old Dr Scholl's footwear, I think I remember that was supposed to be part of the reason you were supposed to wear them.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:33 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Yes walking barefoot on the beach is the best thing for your feet, I have heard, and also think it feels good.

I never tried wearing spike heel pointy shoes. But I did wear flat pointy shoes. It took me a long time and a lot of experimentation to figure out that I just hate most shoes.

There are some shoes that aren't bad though, if I can get wide width. But flip flops with socks in the winter has turned out to be easiest.

I worked in offices for many years and didn't wear shoes. Cheap imitation Uggs can be comfortable, and everyone in the office thinks you're wearing real Uggs. In the summer, most of the other women wore flip flops anyway.

Look around and notice how many people are wearing these things! I hadn't really thought about that, but I will start noticing. No matter what the doctors and the shoe companies say, a lot of people don't like shoes.
Why do you persist in making it sound (whatever the topic being discussed) that there is some conspiracy of people in some ostensible position of authority who are making supposedly outrageous statements that you then knock down?...otherwise known as the:

Strawman Fallacy
Description: Substituting a person’s actual position or argument with a distorted, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of the position of the argument.

No doctors are making a concerted attempt to sell shoes....shoe companies are merely selling their product - they aren't talking down being barefoot. Please stop saying otherwise. Congrats on your long successful journey to minimalist footwear - you've managed to defeat all the forces working against you.

If you want to go barefoot - by all means, do so - NO ONE is forcing you to wear shoes.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:39 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
I am not trying to sell anything. No one here is going to pay me for my ideas. It's supposed to be a discussion. This is my idea, and my experience of several decades.

I don't need any joint replacements, unlike so many others my age. It would make sense to at least consider the possibility that shoes can be bad for health.
No it doesn't make sense at all that shoes can be bad for health.
High heels are not the greatest shoes to wear, but they are not going away. A lot of women want to look nice, and a killer pair of heels make legs look fantastic. I stopped wearing heals over 20 years ago and my feet never suffered because of them. I have also been of the mind that shoes are not something you cheap out on. When it comes to footwear you get what you pay for, like all things in life.
And I guess when you pair socks with flip flops people will start looking at your feet.

You may want to preface your opinions as just that, and opinion.

Last edited by Luckyd609; 10-08-2018 at 07:57 PM..

Old 10-08-2018, 09:08 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,246,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why do you persist in making it sound (whatever the topic being discussed) that there is some conspiracy of people in some ostensible position of authority who are making supposedly outrageous statements that you then knock down?...otherwise known as the:

Strawman Fallacy
Description: Substituting a person’s actual position or argument with a distorted, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of the position of the argument.

No doctors are making a concerted attempt to sell shoes....shoe companies are merely selling their product - they aren't talking down being barefoot. Please stop saying otherwise. Congrats on your long successful journey to minimalist footwear - you've managed to defeat all the forces working against you.

If you want to go barefoot - by all means, do so - NO ONE is forcing you to wear shoes.
Amen.

That, too, is the shrouded agenda of the whole thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No it doesn't make sense at all that shoes can be bad for health.
High heels are not the greatest shoes to wear, but they are not going away. A lot of women want to look nice, and a killer pair of heels make legs look fantastic. I stopped wearing heals over 20 years ago and my feet never suffered because of them. I have also been of the mind that shoes are not something you cheap out on. When it comes to footwear you get what you pay for, like all things in life.
And I guess when you pair socks with flip flops people will start looking at your feet.

You may want to preface your opinions as just that, and opinion.
Lol. +1.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:26 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I like Oofas. They are a recovery sandal. They have a mule and a flip flop. I have both. They do get slick when wet though.
Oofos! I love mine. Come in different styles; flip flops, with or without thong, clogs. I've bought 2 pair through Zulily pretty cheap the last few months. First I got the thong but snatched up slides (thong-less) when they went on sale recently. Support unequaled at the price I paid for them. I live in flip flops 10 months of the year.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:23 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,639 times
Quote:
Fortunately I am not vain. I would even wear Old Navy flip flops to a formal occasion. No one looks down at your feet anyway.
Yes, they do look at your feet.

Quote:
I don't think modern women wear narrow pointy shoes to make their feet narrow. It's to give the impression of narrowness, of having graceful feminine feet. No, we are not in ancient China now, but that kind of thinking has lingered at least subconsciously.

Women who wear comfortable clothes and try to be natural can be looked down at by some. We don't seem to make any effort to show that we aren't poor. Ironically, it is more likely for educated women to dress this way. No makeup, no hair dye, yoga clothes, flip flops, etc. But our subconscious attitude about feminine beauty remains, to some extent.
NOT true!

Quote:

I agree that the cheap imitation Uggs can be comfortable, but no one I know would mistake them for the real thing. And there is no comparison as far as comfort and wear. The real Uggs are much better and last much longer.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:20 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Yes, they do look at your feet.

NOT true!

I agree that the cheap imitation Uggs can be comfortable, but no one I know would mistake them for the real thing. And there is no comparison as far as comfort and wear. The real Uggs are much better and last much longer.
I don't even know what Uggs are, LOL. And I don't make it a habit to look at feet, either.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:21 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,418,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't know where you live but around here, and in most northern states, if you wore socks and flip flips in winter, your toes would get frostbitten. In other words, your toes might have to be amputated.

Also, you need a good grip on the ice and frozen snow and flip flips probably won't be enough. I don't see anyone wearing flip flops around here except at the beach or maybe on a quick run to the store in summer.

People tend to wear good sandals in summer. Not much different than flip flops in some ways but they often have something to hold them on at the heel. And good sandals or good shoes of any kind will have "give." They are usually made of leather, and leather expands. If people are wearing cheap, poorly made vinyl shoes, I can see how they would hurt and constrict the feet.

My favorite form of shoe is still clogs. Big wide toe box, shock absorbing cork soles, lots of "give", good arch support (in my case), and even though there isn't much to them, they protect your feet from whatever you might step on when you are out walking.
Clogs would be good, I was thinking about that. I need shoes that keep your feet dry in winter.

But when it isn't cold weather, flip flops are very common. I saw someone in the grocery store today wearing them. I decided to start noticing.

Flip flops with socks are not seen much, if ever. I think it's because people don't realize it's possible. I only found that out recently. I used to only wear the kind of sandals in winter that don't go between your toes.

And it is not as easy to get frostbite as you think. Thermal socks should prevent it unless you live where it gets extremely cold.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:29 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,418,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Our feet must be the same because I don't have to curl my toes to grip my flip flops either, they are very natural for me and I like the feeling of the thong between the toes. I used to have to curl my toes with the old Dr Scholl's footwear, I think I remember that was supposed to be part of the reason you were supposed to wear them.
Oh yes, since I started this post I have been thinking about how much I love flip flops! I went and bought another pair of men's Old Navy's. Four dollars for something that will bring me happiness for years. My women's Old Navy's get kind of thin after a while, but the men's are tougher and will probably last a long time.

The men's are good for long distance fast walking, and the women's are good for everything else.

My sister tried on my flip flops recently and said they were the most uncomfortable shoes she had ever worn!

I think it may have taken me a while to get used to minimal shoes. My feet had to get stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness