Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:21 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times

Advertisements

Wow!!! What a subject in todays society. Decades ago it was not normally done and with times changing as it is in the 21st century more people are opting for the procedure. Sex experts will agree and disagree to the advantages. Medical opinions will vary slightly as to cleanliness etc. Do we (males) need it done after birth or just leave everything original as God had intended?. Must have been a reason for the foreskin to be there. What do some men think and are the WOMEN satisfied? Opinions greatly appreciated. Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:22 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,986 times
Actually, the circ rate now is about 50/50 for baby boys, so it's gone way down in recent years.

In my opinion, if boys were meant to have a foreskin, they'd be born with it!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:26 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
We just follow cultural and religious norms. My son was circumcized as an infant. I personally have not met an uncircumcised man.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:41 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,653 times
I would never circumcise my child. I think its a cruel act and all the "reasons" it was done (other than religious) have now been debunked.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:51 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I would never circumcise my child. I think its a cruel act and all the "reasons" it was done (other than religious) have now been debunked.
I didn't circumcise my son for just those reasons.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:31 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,335 times
If we had adopted boys, my husband and I were of totally different viewpoints on this. My thought is that unless there is a medical reason (and for us there is no religious reason,) a boy should be left as he was born. My husband felt that if we had adopted a boy, he should be like my husband and be circumcised. Our situation would have been complicated by the fact that we would have adopted a child who was not a newborn and possibly as old as 2 years old. As fate would have it, we ended up adopting two girls, so the point was moot.

To be honest, I've always been curious whether there's a difference in feel for the female partner of an uncircumcised man (not that I'd leave my wonderful un-circ hubby!) Without getting beyond PG-13, can anybody shed some light?

Old 06-22-2008, 10:35 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Quote:
Unfortunately this isn't true. Uncircumcised men are more likely to harbor papilloma virus, including the cancer causing strains (and transmit them to their partners). Circumcision and human papillomavirus infection in...[J Infect Dis. 2008] - PubMed Result

In addition, it's associated with LOWER rates of HIV: Male circumcision, religion, and infectious diseas...[BMC Infect Dis. 2006] - PubMed Result

Lack kof circumcision is also a risk factor for penile carcinoma: Penile cancer. [J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006] - PubMed Result

Old 06-22-2008, 10:57 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Unfortunately this isn't true. Uncircumcised men are more likely to harbor papilloma virus, including the cancer causing strains (and transmit them to their partners). Circumcision and human papillomavirus infection in...[J Infect Dis. 2008] - PubMed Result

In addition, it's associated with LOWER rates of HIV: Male circumcision, religion, and infectious diseas...[BMC Infect Dis. 2006] - PubMed Result

Lack kof circumcision is also a risk factor for penile carcinoma: Penile cancer. [J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006] - PubMed Result
Your first two links clearly state:

Lack of circumcision has been identified as a risk factor for male genital human papillomavirus (HPV) infection, although this association has not been consistently supported.

and

Both religious practices and male circumcision (MC) have been associated with HIV and other sexually-transmitted infectious diseases. Most studies have been limited in size and have not adequately controlled for religion, so these relationships remain unclear.

Therefore the inconsistencies of the statements from both articles become unreliable and in my book, invalid.

As for the latter statement---that's pretty much riding on the logic of "if you have it, then it might get cancer". In that case, we might as well start chopping off our other genitals and privates as well.

If others want to circumcise their little boys, fine by me. Not my penis, not my worry. However I still can never fathom the thought of CHOPPING INTO MY KID'S PENIS to prevent him from HIV in the case he grows up to be promiscuous--what? No thanks.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:25 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
I guess my next question would be to those who were uncircumcized...do you wish you were as a child?

Old 06-22-2008, 12:54 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
Quote:
Your first two links clearly state:

Lack of circumcision has been identified as a risk factor for male genital human papillomavirus (HPV) infection, although this association has not been consistently supported.

and

Both religious practices and male circumcision (MC) have been associated with HIV and other sexually-transmitted infectious diseases. Most studies have been limited in size and have not adequately controlled for religion, so these relationships remain unclear.

Therefore the inconsistencies of the statements from both articles become unreliable and in my book, invalid.

As for the latter statement---that's pretty much riding on the logic of "if you have it, then it might get cancer". In that case, we might as well start chopping off our other genitals and privates as well.

If others want to circumcise their little boys, fine by me. Not my penis, not my worry. However I still can never fathom the thought of CHOPPING INTO MY KID'S PENIS to prevent him from HIV in the case he grows up to be promiscuous--what? No thanks.
Yes, and if you pull out all his teeth as they come in then he'll never get any cavities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness