U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2018, 02:12 PM

369 posts, read 150,114 times

Advertisements

I wanted to stipulate my life not to be prolonged by artificial means.
However, my wife pointed to the fact, that my condition would be determined by the "observing physician". She does not trust this potential "observing physician". Who knows, which physician would I get at that point?
Would it be safer to stick to "my life to be prolonged to the greatest extent possible?"
Also too. Does Medicare cover these "artificial means", or do I pay for them out of pocket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 02:39 PM

4,104 posts, read 1,535,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
However, my wife pointed to the fact, that my condition would be determined by the "observing physician". She does not trust this potential "observing physician". Who knows, which physician would I get at that point?
Would it be safer to stick to "my life to be prolonged to the greatest extent possible?"
Also too. Does Medicare cover these "artificial means", or do I pay for them out of pocket?
You need to research this more. The phrase you quoted isn't very specific and still subject to interpretation by multiple people including relatives, your POA, and your doctor. IMHO you are not quite understanding what these documents actually provide. If you haven't already, read examples of advanced or physician's directives to read what they say or do not say. Especially those that are accepted within your state of residence. Not all states accept all variations. What used to be termed a "living will" has been superseded for good reason. Also understand that advanced directives identify and authorize another person to make healthcare decisions on your behalf based on YOUR wishes (and that person CANNOT BE your doctor or an employee of the hospital or practice!). They also inform healthcare providers what you want or don't want. It is up to you to be specific and get agreement ahead of time from your POA, or your designated representative (could be your wife, a friend, another relative). Write it out in detail on those documents and file notarized copies with your doctor, your POA, family. The last few times I've been hospitalized they asked for a copy as well. At some critical point your representative will need to work together with your doctor to carry out your wishes. The more specific you can be the better.

You'll have to ask Medicare about such coverage. Have no idea.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:53 PM

4,838 posts, read 5,900,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
I am assuming you are putting together an advance directive. Your attorney should be able to answer your questions.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,713,147 times
You really need to talk to the folks who might be in charge if you can't be....I mean, if there is NO hope of meaningful recovery, what is the point of being "prolonged".....? Whoever is in charge needs to know exactly what you want. If there is hope of meaningful progress, then by all means, try it....but if it will only prolong your death...what is the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or