U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 02:43 PM

19,837 posts, read 36,320,737 times

Advertisements

Yep, gotta watch out for those fads and bandwagons, and, yes, anything at a high enough dose can kill you.

For example, this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 02:48 PM

765 posts, read 222,682 times
Someone once said, “Moderation in all things.” Greatest advice ever.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:54 PM

13,289 posts, read 7,065,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
This article says people are getting sick from kale and other brassicas because they contain heavy metals from the soil, even organically grown.
The article is short on showing actual people who got sick. But have any of you heard of this research?
They also don’t tell you how much is safe to eat.
I already knew broccoli pulls up lead from soil, put you have to eat a lot to be damaged by it.
https://www.menshealth.com/trending-...edium=referral

Here is more thorough info from Dr. Weil
https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutritio...kale-a-killer/

Your thoughts?
Why would you ever think that just because something is grown organically that it would protect you from what is in the soil, water, or air it's grown in? Just means there are no insecticides, herbicides, etc. used on it. People think "organic" is a magic word.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:00 PM

27,336 posts, read 17,536,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why would you ever think that just because something is grown organically that it would protect you from what is in the soil, water, or air it's grown in? Just means there are no insecticides, herbicides, etc. used on it. People think "organic" is a magic word.
A slight clarification.... organic has different pesticides and herbicides used on it, those that are certified organic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 10-09-2018, 07:03 PM

18,566 posts, read 6,046,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I don't know about organic being a magic word, but for me I feel better ingesting less pesticides that our govt uses in conventional foods. Personally I never cared for kale and when I eat spinach and it's not often I cook mine and drip coconut oil on it and some sea salt.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:17 AM

69,145 posts, read 79,264,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
This article says people are getting sick from kale and other brassicas because they contain heavy metals from the soil, even organically grown.
The article is short on showing actual people who got sick. But have any of you heard of this research?
They also don’t tell you how much is safe to eat.
I already knew broccoli pulls up lead from soil, put you have to eat a lot to be damaged by it.
https://www.menshealth.com/trending-...edium=referral

Here is more thorough info from Dr. Weil
https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutritio...kale-a-killer/

Your thoughts?
Well first of all I am not a supporter of anything Dr Wels is pushing today or any other day and next. I will always depend on the secret to food happiness and health is based on everything and almost anything in moderation. There are so many of these studies and these articles coming out daily, we would all suffer from mental illness if we tried to follow each of them.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I prefer Spinach, never liked kale anyway. When I buy the bunch of spinach, I have to wash it VERY WELL to get all of the dirt off.
I prefer Spinach as well and I buy it already cleaned so don't have to wash it, but if I do buy it still in a bunch yes, the washing takes time. We do eat some of the packaged Kale Salads from time tot time, but it isn't my favorite. I am certainly not concerned about a few articles suggesting Kale or any other green veggie isn't good for us.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yep, gotta watch out for those fads and bandwagons, and, yes, anything at a high enough dose can kill you.

For example, this.
You mean wine can kill you and so can fresh seafood: Please say it isn't so!!!!!!

Old 10-10-2018, 07:34 AM

6,113 posts, read 10,130,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
This is the reason why I eat a wide range of foods, I rotate spinach, chard, arugula and kale for greens, I rotate my proteins, my grains.... everything.
After reading through this thread, this morning I bought, instead of another bag of kale, some snow pea greens. I also buy arugula a few times a month. So maybe I should go with a wider rotation of raw greens (as well as steamed zucchini), like you do, to throw on top of grains.

I also rotate grains ... pasta, rice, quinoa, millet, bulgar, couscous, amaranth, oats, rye. Any other suggestions?

Also, among roots, I rotate sweet potato, potato, yucca and a few others on occasion such as beets, turnips, etc., not to mention raw carrots, celery and fennel as salad on a daily basis.

Last edited by bale002; 10-10-2018 at 07:43 AM..

Old 10-10-2018, 07:38 AM

12,975 posts, read 7,200,905 times
Not a fan of Kale. Ugh. I think my Mother scared me for life with trying to make me eat that crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness