U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 10:46 AM

1,440 posts, read 685,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
This article says people are getting sick from kale and other brassicas because they contain heavy metals from the soil, even organically grown.
The article is short on showing actual people who got sick. But have any of you heard of this research?
They also donít tell you how much is safe to eat.
I already knew broccoli pulls up lead from soil, put you have to eat a lot to be damaged by it.
https://www.menshealth.com/trending-...edium=referral

Here is more thorough info from Dr. Weil
https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutritio...kale-a-killer/

Your thoughts?

Try to focus more on eating foods when they are naturally in season. You won't eat too much of one food or group, and you will get a broader range of nutrients. The healthiest populations eat their traditional seasonal diets. Try to ignore fads and deceptive marketing terms like superfood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
This is the reason why I eat a wide range of foods, I rotate spinach, chard, arugula and kale for greens, I rotate my proteins, my grains.... everything.

This^ and seasonal. Balanced diet. Wider range of foods = wider range of nutrients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 11:07 AM

13,292 posts, read 7,072,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Try to focus more on eating foods when they are naturally in season. You won't eat too much of one food or group, and you will get a broader range of nutrients. The healthiest populations eat their traditional seasonal diets. Try to ignore fads and deceptive marketing terms like superfood.

This^ and seasonal. Balanced diet. Wider range of foods = wider range of nutrients.
Exactly - it makes no sense to try to define the "5 best foods" just so you only have to eat THOSE. There is no perfect food that has all we need in it though some are better balanced than others. The simplest and most reasonable approach is to eat a large variety so you get the best of all foods rather than over-relying on just a few and thus missing out entirely on some nutrients.

Especially since there are no doubt some chemicals of nutrient value that we don't even know about yet so we haven't identified the "best" food to get it in.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:08 AM

27,340 posts, read 17,546,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
After reading through this thread, this morning I bought, instead of another bag of kale, some snow pea greens. I also buy arugula a few times a month. So maybe I should go with a wider rotation of raw greens (as well as steamed zucchini), like you do, to throw on top of grains.

I also rotate grains ... pasta, rice, quinoa, millet, bulgar, couscous, amaranth, oats, rye. Any other suggestions?

Also, among roots, I rotate sweet potato, potato, yucca and a few others on occasion such as beets, turnips, etc., not to mention raw carrots, celery and fennel as salad on a daily basis.
Farro, wheat berries, barley... you have a good variety.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness