U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2018, 07:47 AM

369 posts, read 176,711 times

Advertisements

A few days ago I had a colonoscopy because of some ongoing issues. The doctor was not able to see the right side of my colon, so set me up for a barium enema, which I had yesterday. The day before, I was told to prepare by drinking 4 tablespoons of castor oil. I managed to get it down, and 3 hours later I was in a special kind of he**.

I experienced severe cramping, flushing over my whole body, sweating, vomiting and rapid heart rate. All of the above were the reasons for the colonoscopy and barium enema in the first place, which I was experiencing fairly often. However, after taking the castor oil, it was 10 times worse. I seriously thought I was going to die. I almost had my husband call for an ambulance. Once this severe "attack" was over, I still felt ill, and wasn't any better yesterday before the test. I seriously considered calling it off, but I knew I would have to have it eventually and really didn't want to go through this again...EVER.

I am thinking that whatever is causing my symptoms in the first place was worsened by the castor oil. Has anyone else ever had this kind of violent reaction to taking castor oil prep? If so, were they able to determine what was causing your problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 05:19 PM

2,746 posts, read 3,914,197 times

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3862068/

"Castor oil is commonly used as a preparation means for radiological and colonoscopy examinations, but its aftertaste and oily texture are intolerable by most patients (7). Also, castor oil is more likely to cause adverse effects such as abdominal cramping, vomiting, nausea, abdominal fullness, fainting and insomnia"

Old 10-09-2018, 10:32 PM

3,122 posts, read 1,216,189 times
Has your doctor given you the results of the test yet?
Why wasn't s/he able to see the right side of your colon? Do you have a blockage? That could cause vomiting and cramping.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:33 AM

369 posts, read 176,711 times
They called me with the results yesterday. Apparently everything was fine up in there. So still no explanation of why I have these "attacks", but at least I know there isn't something serious going on.

I will NEVER take castor oil again, no matter what.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:44 AM

17,356 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
A few days ago I had a colonoscopy because of some ongoing issues. The doctor was not able to see the right side of my colon, so set me up for a barium enema, which I had yesterday. The day before, I was told to prepare by drinking 4 tablespoons of castor oil. I managed to get it down, and 3 hours later I was in a special kind of he**.

I experienced severe cramping, flushing over my whole body, sweating, vomiting and rapid heart rate. All of the above were the reasons for the colonoscopy and barium enema in the first place, which I was experiencing fairly often. However, after taking the castor oil, it was 10 times worse. I seriously thought I was going to die. I almost had my husband call for an ambulance. Once this severe "attack" was over, I still felt ill, and wasn't any better yesterday before the test. I seriously considered calling it off, but I knew I would have to have it eventually and really didn't want to go through this again...EVER.

I am thinking that whatever is causing my symptoms in the first place was worsened by the castor oil. Has anyone else ever had this kind of violent reaction to taking castor oil prep? If so, were they able to determine what was causing your problems?

Discuss this with your doctor...

Old 10-10-2018, 10:08 AM

15,148 posts, read 15,198,298 times
Some of it may be just the amount of oil your body has to process, not just Castor.

Some people who eat a true ketogenic-diet, have to either limit total calories or put up with problems similar to your. Lots of fat, especially in the form of liquefied-oil, can play havoc on your body.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:18 AM

393 posts, read 124,797 times
I wonder if four tablespoons was just too much for you? Sounds like a lot. Castor oil comes in different flavors, like orange or cherry, to make it more palatable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness