Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 08:16 AM

538 posts, read 385,839 times

Advertisements

When my friend had surgery on her ankle it was right away.
Her sister had knee surgery in July and just started PT this month? Seems odd and now she questioning if her dr is not providing the best course of treatment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 08:29 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
My wife had a total knee replacement surgery. Her physical therapy started the day after surgery. She also had one of the best surgeons around, Alex Federov.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:31 AM

538 posts, read 385,839 times
Strange. This wasn’t a knee replacement surgery. It was from an injury. It was s second surgery after her first one didn’t help. She said her dr was out of town for a while so she couldn’t start PT until 2.5 months later.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:25 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
It varies widely especially if she had an osteotomy. Some surgeons won’t do PT for two months or more with that but when I had mine I was in PT four days after.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:54 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
With hip replacement PT was immediate, and I had a very good recovery so rehab was easy for me, but everything went downhill 5 months post op. Body settled and things showed up...like shorter leg and nerve damage and IT band damage, which I deal with 8 yrs post op.

A neighbor just went thru 2 hip replacements within 6 weeks of one another and her surgeon didn't do much PT at all for quite a while. After all these hard surgeries, she uses a rollator, doesn't walk very much without.

So much can go wrong with these major replacements. Yes, I know many do well, but I also visit replacement groups to check and see what's new in postings.

On the PT issue, it's true many do end up injured. When I was in hospital for what turned out to be staph infection in knee and it was not known for months, PT people pushed me and pushed me to walk and I could NOT. I truly believe a lot of damage was done.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:04 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Her sister had knee surgery in July and just started PT this month? Seems odd and now she questioning if her dr is not providing the best course of treatment?
It varies widely depending on the surgery. None of us are her doctor and we don't know the details of her injury. Some tissues need time to heal before PT starts but others can/should be exercised right away. I've had orthopedic surgeries that started PT in a day or so, but PT for other surgeries for injuries or tumor removal had to wait until soft tissues healed a bit, or until sutures or drains were removed.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-10-2018 at 02:15 PM..

Old 10-11-2018, 05:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
wow, unless there were complications just starting now is way different than anyone I have known and when you live in an area with lots of seniors, have family members that often need orthopedic surgery and have had knee replacement you pretty much know the routine. They started my physical T a few days after my surgery. This is the same with all my friends. I had it at home for 2 weeks and then started going to the PT for another 4 weeks. My the time my surgery was 6 weeks past I was almost 100% again

Now that I read the rest of your statements it makes a difference. Who knows why the length or time varies. It still sounds a little different. Of course we are not your friends doctor.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:10 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
The sooner, the better, in most cases. It's the muscles around an injury that need to be strengthened..that's what keeps everything "in place".
I've known too many folks who do NOT do the PT, and do not get good results.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:07 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
The sooner, the better, in most cases. It's the muscles around an injury that need to be strengthened..that's what keeps everything "in place".
I've known too many folks who do NOT do the PT, and do not get good results.
We don’t know the specifics of the OP’s sister’s situation since this is apparently the second surgery. Maybe she didn’t heal quickly or had complications or maybe something happened after the first surgery and they are trying to avoid that this second time around.

I agree that typically people don’t do PT and the they complain. I had a friend visit who was complaining about his back. I think one of his discs was herniated in a car accident around 4 years ago, but he didn’t go to the full course of physical therapy and he certainly didn’t do any of the recommended exercises. At that point he said he wasn’t exercising AT ALL, so I was like “Why is it surprising that your back is hurting if you are doing nothing to help it right now?”

Old 10-12-2018, 11:52 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
with my hip replacement 19 months ago, they had me sitting up in the chair in my room pretty much as soon as I was awake enough to do so..... and PT started the next day.....

A poster above mentioned an osteotomy maybe taking a little longer to start PT..... I had a periacetabular osteotomy on my right hip about 15 years ago..... Was in the hospital for nearly a week post-op and though I don't recall specifics, I am sure I was started on SOME kind of PT in that time......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness