U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 04:40 PM

352 posts, read 105,989 times

Advertisements

I had to drink something at midnight for an 8 am procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 04:44 PM

1,360 posts, read 660,766 times
Procedure is at 10 a.m., with a check-in time of 8:45. So it's 8 hours between the second dose and actual procedure start time. I called and inquired and the PA told me that's how this doc does the prep, to make sure the colon is perfectly clean. Still doesn't make any sense to me because we've both had colonoscopies before and were cleaned out perfectly via meds the day prior, without a 2 a.m. dose.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:45 PM

3,481 posts, read 2,205,084 times
I agree that's odd. I'd find another doctor for next time personally.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:17 PM

1,827 posts, read 443,151 times
I had to do mine in the middle of the night. But the thing I suggest for ANYONE doing a colonoscopy to make it not so horrible is to take megadoses of magnesium a few days leading up to the test. That way, you are already mostly cleaned out.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:14 PM

1,835 posts, read 2,438,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
The last time I had that done, the doctor wasn't mindful of my concerns, and when the sedation (propofol) was administered by IV, it felt like they were injecting molten metal into my vein. The pain went from the injection site up my arm to my shoulder, then across to my neck, then up around both sides of my ear, and finally to the top of my skull. At that point, I was out like a light. But from the moment the injection was given until it reached my skull, I was fully aware of the pain, but could do or say nothing because of the tube crammed in my mouth. I did everything possible to move my eyes, and groan, but to no avail.

When I later told the doctor about it, he laughed it off and said the sedative doesn't do that. That's a crock! I know what I experienced. I later began to look online about it, and found I'm not the only one who has experienced such a trauma. Granted, it may be only a small percentage of people who have that kind of reaction. Still, there are other sedatives that can be used without such side effects.
When I had my most recent colonoscopy, about a year and a half ago, it was the first time I was going to experience propofol. Before the nurse anesthetist administered it, I mentioned that I had heard that it can be very painful going in. She told me not to worry, that they add lidocaine to the mix so there's no pain from the propofol. And she was right. Zero pain from the propofol IV, and zero pain from the colonoscopy (unlike previous colonoscopies that did not use propofol).

Old 10-11-2018, 06:21 PM

1,492 posts, read 723,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Procedure is at 10 a.m., with a check-in time of 8:45. So it's 8 hours between the second dose and actual procedure start time. I called and inquired and the PA told me that's how this doc does the prep, to make sure the colon is perfectly clean. Still doesn't make any sense to me because we've both had colonoscopies before and were cleaned out perfectly via meds the day prior, without a 2 a.m. dose.

This should make sense to you: "The use of split-dose bowel preparation was associated with a significantly higher detection rate for sessile serrated polyps during colonoscopy, a randomized study found."

https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/ddw/58072

Old 10-11-2018, 06:33 PM

1,360 posts, read 660,766 times
Ah, thanks for that, Oldgardener. Husband had 3 polyps removed last time, so if this prep improves detection rate, I am all for it.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:45 PM

39,465 posts, read 15,850,629 times
It's at least a 6 hour wait after the last bottle. It's a lot easier if you schedule an afternoon procedure.

Then you don't have to take the 2nd dose until after you get up.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:50 PM

8,382 posts, read 6,196,897 times
I did one a few months ago. First bottle at 5pm, second at 10pm. No solid food at all the day before the procedure.

The one three years ago or so was MUCH better. single dose at about 6pm I think it was.. and as I recall, no food after noon the day before the prep.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:12 PM

204 posts, read 74,162 times
That was my schedule as well. I had mine on a Tuesday, so Sunday I ate very very light, did the no food thing and prep Monday, so the 2 am dose yielded little results and I did sleep, so it wasn't bad at all.

Some people eat a ton two days before because they know the day before they can't, I don't recommend that at all lol.

Good luck to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness