U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 01:00 PM

1,325 posts, read 626,957 times

Advertisements

Husband has to have a routine colonoscopy again, the instructions the gastro gave him state he has to start the first prep bottle in the afternoon (he prescribed two bottles of some sort of liquid husband still has to pick up from the pharmacy) and then take the second bottle of the prep at 2 a.m.? That just sounds weird having to take it in the middle of the night. When he did his previous colonoscopy he started in the a.m. the day before the prep and was cleaned out by around 11 pm and able to get some sleep prior to procedure day. I don't get the 2 a.m. requirement, did any of you with recent colonoscopies get the same instructions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 01:02 PM

16,537 posts, read 3,409,179 times
Call your MD office and ask them...each MD might require different preps.

It does sound odd and likely he'll get no sleep after the 2 am prep...

Old 10-11-2018, 01:08 PM

2,228 posts, read 614,637 times
I second that notion. Call the doctors office. You should be able to be cleaned out before bedtime, and get a halfway decent nights sleep.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:35 PM

1,673 posts, read 681,256 times
new thinking (I had one last year at this time) - even if you are "cleaned out" by the time you go to bed, overnight your body produces a substance in the colon that impedes a clear view. Hence the second prep the morning of the procedure. Sorry, no sleep for you!!

Old 10-11-2018, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the replies!! Vt, that's kind of weird, so you had to do the 2 a.m. prep as well?

Old 10-11-2018, 02:08 PM

1,673 posts, read 681,256 times
I think it may have been 3 or 4 AM, for an 9 AM scope. Can't really remember.

Tell your husband to eat very lightly the day before, or two days before if possible. The less that's in there, the easier the cleanout.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:50 PM

His is 2 a.m. for a 10 a.m. scope. Yep, 2 days of eating lightly and low fiber is what he did last time, worked pretty well. Not so much to clean out for sure.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:52 PM

4,974 posts, read 7,738,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
new thinking (I had one last year at this time) - even if you are "cleaned out" by the time you go to bed, overnight your body produces a substance in the colon that impedes a clear view. Hence the second prep the morning of the procedure. Sorry, no sleep for you!!
Hmm. I've had that procedure done several times, and have never required to gulp down more flushing meds at 2 AM or whatever. The only requirement is not to eat anything after the toilet trips begin, as well as the morning of the procedure. A little water or clear broth is allowed. Beverages with red colored dyes and coffee must be avoided since they can stain and cause viewing problems for the procedure. You'll know it's cleaned out because any of the water required to consume will come out clear. Once the digestive system and colon are cleaned out, there's nothing more to remove. That said, the colon still produces a mucus which can give the urge to visit the toilet again, but not much comes out except for a very small amount of clear slime. Apparently, that's expected and doesn't hinder viewing during the procedure.

The OP should still ask the doctor the reason a 2 AM flushing is necessary. All procedures I've had done were in the early morning, around 8 AM. If the procedure is scheduled for the afternoon, maybe the extra flushing is recommended. The worst part for me has been feeling very hungry in the morning.

The procedures I've had done involved scoping from both ends, up the butt for the colon and large intestine, and down the throat to check stomach and small intestine.

The last time I had that done, the doctor wasn't mindful of my concerns, and when the sedation (propofol) was administered by IV, it felt like they were injecting molten metal into my vein. The pain went from the injection site up my arm to my shoulder, then across to my neck, then up around both sides of my ear, and finally to the top of my skull. At that point, I was out like a light. But from the moment the injection was given until it reached my skull, I was fully aware of the pain, but could do or say nothing because of the tube crammed in my mouth. I did everything possible to move my eyes, and groan, but to no avail.

When I later told the doctor about it, he laughed it off and said the sedative doesn't do that. That's a crock! I know what I experienced. I later began to look online about it, and found I'm not the only one who has experienced such a trauma. Granted, it may be only a small percentage of people who have that kind of reaction. Still, there are other sedatives that can be used without such side effects.

One of the primary reasons for doing a colonoscopy is to look for possible problems, including polyps which are removed during the procedure. However, there are other things that can be done which are less invasive. One is a stool sample, which can be done at home with a kit, and then taken to your doctor or a medical lab for inspection. You may need to fast for about 10 hours before getting the sample (check with your doctor about fasting requirements). The lab will be looking for any signs of blood in the stool. If blood is detected, then a full colonoscopy may be recommended for a more intensive examination. After several such samples over the years, no blood in my stool has ever been found. If I ever do have to have a colonoscopy done, I will be sure no propofol is to be used, and will want to know exactly what sedation will be used.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:08 PM

321 posts, read 195,486 times
I've had to do prep in the middle of the night. It probably depends on the time of the procedure.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:39 PM

3,409 posts, read 2,097,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriact View Post
I've had to do prep in the middle of the night. It probably depends on the time of the procedure.

Agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness