U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 12:48 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,546,813 times

Advertisements

Yikes - but what a cool story your body can tell. How long ago did you have this surgery?

I agree about the stories. They probably remain more interesting to tell longer than to hear about however . Had a bilateral mastectomy three weeks ago Friday. 4 drains came out last week as they didn't seem to be producing much, but more fluid built up in slightly different spots. Have to go get that aspirated next week. A small advantage is that the area is pretty much numb so won't feel it. If the buildup doesn't slow down may need new drains. At least I know the daily drill; not squeamish. A summer job back in college scraping roadkill off state highway blacktop will do that for you .

My husband had a drain and I had to aspirate the accumulating fluids using a syringe, and then measure it each day and also record the color and if there was any odor. I'm sort of gagging thinking about it - and it was for a big lipoma exactly where mine is - and it looked a lot like mine. So at least if I end up with the drain thing, and he has to do it, well, turn about is fair play.

THAT'S the way to look at it!!! Ah, married life...sharing living space, finances, childrearing, household chores, shopping, lipomas and their aftermath!

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-15-2018 at 01:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 07:07 AM

40,936 posts, read 32,676,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yikes - but what a cool story your body can tell. How long ago did you have this surgery?

I agree about the stories. They probably remain more interesting to tell longer than to hear about however . Had a bilateral mastectomy three weeks ago Friday. 4 drains came out last week as they didn't seem to be producing much, but more fluid built up in slightly different spots. Have to go get that aspirated next week. A small advantage is that the area is pretty much numb so won't feel it. If the buildup doesn't slow down may need new drains. At least I know the daily drill; not squeamish. A summer job back in college scraping roadkill off state highway blacktop will do that for you .

My husband had a drain and I had to aspirate the accumulating fluids using a syringe, and then measure it each day and also record the color and if there was any odor. I'm sort of gagging thinking about it - and it was for a big lipoma exactly where mine is - and it looked a lot like mine. So at least if I end up with the drain thing, and he has to do it, well, turn about is fair play.

THAT'S the way to look at it!!! Ah, married life...sharing living space, finances, childrearing, household chores, shopping, lipomas and their aftermath!
Wow, good luck with your continued recovery - what an ordeal. I'm not going to complain anymore.

Well, yes I probably will but you've put things in perspective for me!

Old 10-15-2018, 10:55 AM

2,608 posts, read 1,114,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OH. MY. GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leeches - lord help me. I don't think I could go there. Oh, please Lord Jesus, no, please don't let them bring in the leeches. Dang!

I'd like to say I am simply being vigilant but the other side of the story is that my individual deductible is $5000 and so I'd rather not push this into next year and have to meet it two years in a row! LOL
Sadly, that drives a lot of our health decisions. I had the same scenario in 2013 so was rushed into bilateral knee replacements before I should have gotten them---just because I'd already met my deductible! (not a good year: kidney stones and appendectomy)

Old 10-15-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Sadly, that drives a lot of our health decisions. I had the same scenario in 2013 so was rushed into bilateral knee replacements before I should have gotten them---just because I'd already met my deductible! (not a good year: kidney stones and appendectomy)
Ouch! Look at it another way. If you cram all those expenses into one fiscal year you might actually reach the threshold allowing you to claim out-of-pocket deductibles off your income tax. Not a fun deduction for sure.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Wow, good luck with your continued recovery - what an ordeal. I'm not going to complain anymore.

Well, yes I probably will but you've put things in perspective for me!
You know what they say about silver linings...one unexpected benefit of all this uproar was a 25 lb weight loss. The worry/preoccupation/pre-op house maintenance/firewood splitting/too much web research/lack of appetite diet. Oh, and don't forget getting stuff removed while you sleep; the tummy tuck just higher up.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:00 AM

Thanks, everyone!

I'm not very concerned about the lipoma itself, but the general anesthesia thing (intravenous rather than simply inhaled) does concern me since I have a history of pretty serious issues with that sort of anesthesia.

I just got off the phone with the doctor's nurse, and they have scheduled a consultation with my for Friday morning to meet with the anesthesiologist to discuss what happened to me before and possible options. I really appreciate the extra step prior to the date of surgery which is next Tuesday. I am hoping they can do some sort of only inhaled anesthesia. I've done fine with that in the past.

At least they are paying attention to my history and my concerns!

Old 10-17-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I just got off the phone with the doctor's nurse, and they have scheduled a consultation with my for Friday morning to meet with the anesthesiologist to discuss what happened to me before and possible options. I really appreciate the extra step prior to the date of surgery which is next Tuesday. I am hoping they can do some sort of only inhaled anesthesia. I've done fine with that in the past.

As they should. The more information they have about you the more likely they can prevent problems. I'm sure you'll be very glad to get rid of the thing!!

Old 10-17-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
As they should. The more information they have about you the more likely they can prevent problems. I'm sure you'll be very glad to get rid of the thing!!

Oh I am almost but not quite excited about getting it removed! Now that I acknowledge it's there, I feel it all the time. I mean, I was already feeling it somewhat but now it's like "How have I even been living with this?" LOL the power of suggestion!

Old 10-17-2018, 07:32 PM

1,131 posts, read 518,009 times
Quote:
Thanks, everyone!

I'm not very concerned about the lipoma itself, but the general anesthesia thing (intravenous rather than simply inhaled) does concern me since I have a history of pretty serious issues with that sort of anesthesia.

If they use propofol, it's pretty good stuff with very little hangover. They probably use versed as well, which causes some amnesia, so you don't remember anything during the operation.

Quote:
Oh I am almost but not quite excited about getting it removed! Now that I acknowledge it's there, I feel it all the time. I mean, I was already feeling it somewhat but now it's like "How have I even been living with this?" LOL the power of suggestion!
As long as the lipoma isn't giving you suggestions, you are good. If the lipoma is telling you things, you may need a different sort of doctor.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:08 AM

OK so that was interesting, meeting beforehand with the anesthesiologist. He asked a lot of questions and really, really seemed to listen. He thought things through and then said, "OK, here's my plan - no intravenous anesthesia for you. Inhaled only. I'm going to make sure everyone on board knows this and I'm going to update your file now in case something happens and I can't be there myself Tuesday." Then on the way out, he updated the surgeon's nurse as well.

So I feel a lot more comfortable about the anesthesia part, which has really been the only thing I've been worried about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness