U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 04:43 PM

40,879 posts, read 32,642,286 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm 56, in perfect health, on no meds, feel great, but I noticed that my neck and shoulder blade were both hurting me more and more, like I had some sort of catch or something in there. I fell several years ago and dislocated several ribs right up there by my shoulder blade when I landed on it (OUCH - fell off a porch which is another story - funny but for another time!), and so since that fall, there's been a sort of tender spot there, but it's been really bothering me lately. Anyway, I was getting a massage, mostly because my neck and shoulder were hurting me, and the massage therapist said, "Wow, you have a pretty significant lump back here - you need to get that checked out."

Now, I can't see my back, so I didn't realize I was like Quazimoto or something, but I got a mirror out, looked at it and holy moley, I DO have a big lump on my shoulder blade near my spine. Needless to say, ever since I saw that, my shoulder and neck have been killing me! LOL

Anyway, so I went to the doctor and he immediately said, "Yep, looks like a lipoma, and since it's bothering you, and it's pretty big, it needs to come out." He then measured it and said, "I think it's at least 5 cm by 5 cm (two inches by two inches)." I said, "Well, can't you just take it out here in the office?" (Yes, I watch videos of Dr. Pimple Popper sometimes and I've seen her remove lipomas that seem a lot bigger than that!) I mean, Dr. Pimple Popper removes big ol' lipomas right there in the office, with local anesthesia. But he said, "Well, see, the problem with that is that I can only measure what I can feel, but I think your lipoma may be bigger - I think it may be nestled between muscle or even ribs, so it's general anesthesia and surgery for you, my dear." (Actually I'm not sure he said "my dear" but that's how it came across to me.)

WHAT THE FREAKING HECK?

So I told my brother who immediately said, "Oh, yeah, I had one of those awhile back, in the very same place, and a few years after they removed it, it just grew back. Heh heh heh..." (Brothers!) No, we didn't both get the same lipoma gene from our parents - he's adopted. So it was just chance. Apparently medical science doesn't even know what causes lipomas. Though there is some speculation that trauma can be part of the cause - and I did have trauma in that exact spot when I fell.

Also, really strange - my HUSBAND had one in the exact same spot and had to have it removed (it hasn't come back) and it was a lot bigger than they originally thought and it became this big, ugly ordeal with a drain and a pump and a big hole in his back - oh my gosh. I don't want to go through all that! (He also had an injury to the same area where his lipoma cropped up.)

My husband and brother did fine with the surgery, but they've never had any issues with general anesthesia. I on the other hand have, and frankly I don't want to die or slip into a coma just over having a lipoma removed. I'm assuming that anesthesia has come a long way from 15 years ago though (my heart rate dropped to 20 beats per minute, I was very difficult to wake up, and my doctor told me I don't respond well the anesthesia and to avoid unnecessary surgeries and always tell any anesthesiologist that I'm a Problem Child, which I've told them).

Anyone have one of these things removed before and if so, share your story please so I can read it in morbid fascination. Thank you.

I am so ticked off!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 05:33 PM

1,354 posts, read 651,003 times
I'd be ticked off too, what a PITA.

My brother had one removed from his back, and he told me he wished he hadn't done it, but I can't remember why exactly. I know this isn't very encouraging for you, but it is somewhat morbidly fascinating, as you requested.

I hope it all goes well for you, either way.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:23 PM

14,695 posts, read 18,753,541 times
If you're that nervous about going under general anesthesia, why dont you call Dr Pimple Popper's office and make an appointment with her? Yes, you'd have to fly halfway across the country -- and going under general anesthesia with your own doctor would be cheaper because insurance would cover it -- but you'd be more comfortable under local anesthesia.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
If you're that nervous about going under general anesthesia, why dont you call Dr Pimple Popper's office and make an appointment with her? Yes, you'd have to fly halfway across the country -- and going under general anesthesia with your own doctor would be cheaper because insurance would cover it -- but you'd be more comfortable under local anesthesia.

Not that bad an idea but it does sound expensive. I am going to see what the anethesiologist says first. I sent them an email and the surgery date is nearly two weeks away so there you have it. I mean, surely it will be fine.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:50 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
My ex had one removed many years ago, no big deal. On his side-back, sortta.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
My ex had one removed many years ago, no big deal. On his side-back, sortta.
Well, that's good to know. Did they have to put him completely out to do it?

Old 10-13-2018, 01:13 AM

94 posts, read 38,036 times
My husband had one in the middle of his upper back. He ignored it until it was big enough to cause discomfort. The doctor removed it using a local anesthesia. Unfortunately, he realized too late the lipoma was bigger than initially thought, and that made it impossible to keep the procedure pain free. I wasn't in the room, but I could hear my husband moaning and groaning and so could everyone else in the waiting room. When he finally came out after the procedure was over, he was white as a sheet, and fortunately didn't notice the horrified looks on the faces of those of us who heard his misery.

The procedure left a hole in his back that needed a drain, and when the drain was removed, it had to be packed to ensure it healed from the inside out. Not a fun time.

To add insult to injury, the damn thing came back within a few years. This time he went to a surgeon, who explained that the likely reason it returned was because the first doctor didn't get it all. The surgeon insisted on general anesthesia in a hospital so he could take his time, cause no pain, and make certain he got it all.

This time around, there was no trauma, the incision was bigger, but "neater", and he healed much faster. It's been over twenty years and the lipoma never returned.

I think your doctor is wise to send you for general anesthesia.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:17 AM

1,130 posts, read 516,401 times
I had one removed from my back a few years ago. It wasn't huge, but was good sized. It was done under local anesthesia by a plastic surgeon I know, after my dermatologist said it was larger than he wanted to deal with. Took an hour, never had any pain. Since a plastic surgeon did it, I have a minimal scar as well.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMeriMarry View Post
My husband had one in the middle of his upper back. He ignored it until it was big enough to cause discomfort. The doctor removed it using a local anesthesia. Unfortunately, he realized too late the lipoma was bigger than initially thought, and that made it impossible to keep the procedure pain free. I wasn't in the room, but I could hear my husband moaning and groaning and so could everyone else in the waiting room. When he finally came out after the procedure was over, he was white as a sheet, and fortunately didn't notice the horrified looks on the faces of those of us who heard his misery.

The procedure left a hole in his back that needed a drain, and when the drain was removed, it had to be packed to ensure it healed from the inside out. Not a fun time.

To add insult to injury, the damn thing came back within a few years. This time he went to a surgeon, who explained that the likely reason it returned was because the first doctor didn't get it all. The surgeon insisted on general anesthesia in a hospital so he could take his time, cause no pain, and make certain he got it all.

This time around, there was no trauma, the incision was bigger, but "neater", and he healed much faster. It's been over twenty years and the lipoma never returned.

I think your doctor is wise to send you for general anesthesia.
This is exactly the scenario he was describing as a possibility trying to remove it in the office, so yes, as much as I hate the idea of general anesthesia, I agree that it's the best route.

It really is bothering me too so I suspect it's bigger than what he can feel. He suspects that too.

I really hope I don't have to have that drain thing. Ugh.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I had one removed from my back a few years ago. It wasn't huge, but was good sized. It was done under local anesthesia by a plastic surgeon I know, after my dermatologist said it was larger than he wanted to deal with. Took an hour, never had any pain. Since a plastic surgeon did it, I have a minimal scar as well.
That's great to know. I'm not worried about the scar either, my doctor said it should be a straight line, and about two inches long (he plans to run it vertically apparently). Anyway, it will be on my back, and I don't scar badly so I'm not worried about it.

Apparently these things can hide between bands of muscle sometimes, making it difficult to really know just how big they are till one gets in there. Yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness