U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 10:21 AM

18,198 posts, read 17,341,398 times

Advertisements

STOP bickering or this entire thread will go away. Stay on topic.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:57 PM

6,903 posts, read 7,116,435 times
I wonder if this is something brought into this country from one of the many immigrant groups. That's the first thing I thought about when I heard about it. Could be why the CDC is being so closed mouth about it.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:30 PM

21,627 posts, read 26,346,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I wonder if this is something brought into this country from one of the many immigrant groups. That's the first thing I thought about when I heard about it. Could be why the CDC is being so closed mouth about it.
First, the CDC is not being "so closed mouth about it." It's in the news, on the CDC website, and doctors are actively on the lookout for new cases. If the cause is not clear what would you suggest they say?

Of the cases where a virus has been identified it is one that is already found in the US. No one is bringing it in from anywhere. The CDC has no problem with identifying imported disease outbreaks, such as measles, even when it associated with immigrants, such as happened in the Somali community in MN last year.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:52 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,381,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
First, the CDC is not being "so closed mouth about it." It's in the news, on the CDC website, and doctors are actively on the lookout for new cases. If the cause is not clear what would you suggest they say?

Of the cases where a virus has been identified it is one that is already found in the US. No one is bringing it in from anywhere. The CDC has no problem with identifying imported disease outbreaks, such as measles, even when it associated with immigrants, such as happened in the Somali community in MN last year.
According to news reports this week, the CDC is not working with parent groups who have gathered data, among other complaints. I don't know that you can definitively say that no one is bringing it in from anywhere, that's a bit over the top at this point since the cause is not clear.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/29/healt...nse/index.html

Old 11-01-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
According to news reports this week, the CDC is not working with parent groups who have gathered data, among other complaints. I don't know that you can definitively say that no one is bringing it in from anywhere, that's a bit over the top at this point since the cause is not clear.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/29/healt...nse/index.html
The cases are scattered, not clustered, as would be expected with an outbreak associated with someone importing an infection. So far this year there are 72 reported cases in 24 states.

https://www.cdc.gov/acute-flaccid-my...veillance.html

In addition, the infections associated with AFM already circulate in the wild in the US. There is no reason to suspect that immigrants are bringing them here.

CDC is educating physicians to report cases. Pediatricians and ER docs need to be on the lookout for it and report to the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/acute-flaccid-my.../hcp/data.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ildren/573982/

"Much like poliovirus, which paralyzed just 1 percent of those it infected, itís likely that AFM is caused by widely circulating viruses that only lead to problems for a small, susceptible minority. Thatís why you donít hear news reports of entire schools coming down with AFM. The disease doesnít even sweep through entire families: Whenever an affected child has had a sibling, Duggal says, that other child has always been healthy. In one dramatic case, scientists isolated genetically identical strains of EV-D68 from two California siblings, one of whom had AFM and the other of whom had the sniffles."

Old 11-02-2018, 08:38 AM

6,903 posts, read 7,116,435 times
Quote:

I watch TV so I'm aware this has been a hot topic for some time now. That's not what I was referring to. Like Kara mentioned, they are not disclosing where this may have come from.

It's not a stretch to think that illnesses and diseases could be brought in by many immigrants -if not actively ill then they could be carriers of some illness. For several years now one of the first questions I'm asked when scheduling medical appointment is: "Have you been out of the county in the last 6 months." The reason for this question should be obvious.

This is far more serious than measles and I wouldn't be a bit surprised that if it was brought into this country that the CDC would want to keep that hushed. Children are being affected and there would be he$$ to pay if that was the case. I believe there would be serious trouble.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:58 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,272,231 times
Quote:
I watch TV so I'm aware this has been a hot topic for some time now. That's not what I was referring to. Like Kara mentioned, they are not disclosing where this may have come from.

It's not a stretch to think that illnesses and diseases could be brought in by many immigrants -if not actively ill then they could be carriers of some illness. For several years now one of the first questions I'm asked when scheduling medical appointment is: "Have you been out of the county in the last 6 months." The reason for this question should be obvious.

This is far more serious than measles and I wouldn't be a bit surprised that if it was brought into this country that the CDC would want to keep that hushed. Children are being affected and there would be he$$ to pay if that was the case. I believe there would be serious trouble.
Plenty of US citizens travel out of the country (and back) every day. Please stop blaming "immigrants."

Old 11-02-2018, 09:05 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,381,685 times
Quote:

CDC is educating physicians to report cases. Pediatricians and ER docs need to be on the lookout for it and report to the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/acute-flaccid-my.../hcp/data.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ildren/573982/
Explain why the CDC won't work with the parents of the affected children and why doctors in the CDC are upset. My heart breaks for those families.

I hope the CNN report shakes some things up.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:08 AM

494 posts, read 192,107 times
Quote:
O......M.......G.....seriously? With global travel being the norm nowadays between the US and many other countries.....seriously???? It's just sad to see opinions like this that have no rational or critical thinking to support them....but then, opinions seldom do!

Old 11-02-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:

The viruses that have been associated with acute flaccid paralysis do not "come from" anywhere. They are already in the US. Infections with them usually cause no symptoms at all or just common cold symptoms or gastroenteritis. The question isn't where they "come from". The question is why do some children develop paralysis and some do not. It's similar to the issue with the Zika virus and birth defects. What changed about Zika that now makes it damage a fetus when it did not do so before?

Why would there be "serious trouble" if the viruses were brought in from another country? The point is that measles is brought in from other countries and there is no effort made to "hush" that. Measles can be serious, too. About 1 in 500 die from it and it can cause permanent disability.

No one is trying to cover up where the virus(es) came from because they did not come from anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Explain why the CDC won't work with the parents of the affected children and why doctors in the CDC are upset. My heart breaks for those families.

I hope the CNN report shakes some things up.
What do the parents of the affected children expect the CDC to do for them? At this point there is no specific treatment and the causes for the increased incidence have not been pinned down. All the CDC can do is continue to evaluate cases and try to identify the viruses (or non-infectious causes) involved. At that point the question would be whether AFM would justify developing vaccines against the relevant viruses, since AFM is rare, seldom fatal, and most children appear to be improving.

What do the "doctors in the CDC" who are "upset" think should be done differently? All I can see is to perhaps make reporting cases mandatory. CDC is working with state health departments to heighten physician awareness and improve case reporting. The health departments have sent information to doctors to help them identify cases and obtain the relevant tests, like this letter to providers in Nevada.

http://www.southernnevadahealthdistr...CP-Job-Aid.pdf

All of us have sympathy for the families of the affected children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or