Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 10:54 PM

215 posts, read 176,310 times

Advertisements

Change sugar and carbs to fat diet. Morning bacon and eggs, lunch meat like pork chop without carbs like potato, can add broccoli. Dinner more meat.

Sugar will kill you eventually, better to change diet before it get even worse.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ketogenic-diet-101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 09:27 AM

10,437 posts, read 7,537,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
..If I stick with lame, low calorie foods like salads, vegetables, soup, etc....this does not happen. This morning is a perfect example. This is unusual, and rare - but I happened to eat two huge cinnamon rolls with icing - and for the last several hours, I have been suffering the consequences..
Your taste is accustomed to a bad diet, mostly the high sugar. Time for a change.

When people transition to quality veggies, greens, fruits, veggie fats ,etc. and avoid added sweeteners in all food choices, eventually they should lose the attraction to sugar and in many cases become repulsed by it. A cinnamon roll with icing would be inedible for me, unless starving!

Old 10-18-2018, 10:39 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,630,363 times
Quote:
So I have noticed this problem for many years to some degree, but recently it has become much worse. Here's the deal. Any time I eat something with a high sugar and/or fat content (but mostly sugar), within about 30 minutes - and lasting as long as 8-10 hours later - I get really hot, my heart races/pounds, I get out of breath, and I get "the shakes" or tremors and feel light-headed, dizzy and just plain feel awful.

If I stick with lame, low calorie foods like salads, vegetables, soup, etc....this does not happen. This morning is a perfect example. This is unusual, and rare - but I happened to eat two huge cinnamon rolls with icing - and for the last several hours, I have been suffering the consequences.

I lost my health insurance after exhausting my life-savings on the premiums for coverage I couldn't use anyway thanks to the insane deductible - about a year ago (next month will be 1 year with no health insurance), but every year up until that time - I had a complete annual physical exam with all the blood tests done and every year it always came back normal with no thyroid or blood sugar issues.

Has anyone heard of anything like this or experienced anything similar? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
If it makes you feel bad, and you want to stop feeling bad, don’t eat it.

My blood levels come back normal too, but there’s no denying what happens when I eat certain foods. I don’t have a medical diagnosis, but I follow a low FODMAPs diet, and if I stick to it, I don’t have gut symptoms.

OP, in your shoes, I’d try an anti-inflammatory elimination diet and see what happens. There are lots of protocols around, look in your local library.

And yes, if I eat too much simple carbs in one go, I do indeed experience what you’re experiencing. You’re going to have to find out for yourself exactly what sets you off.

Last edited by jacqueg; 10-18-2018 at 10:47 AM..

Old 10-18-2018, 12:29 PM

2,908 posts, read 1,342,509 times
Quote:
So I have noticed this problem for many years to some degree, but recently it has become much worse. Here's the deal. Any time I eat something with a high sugar and/or fat content (but mostly sugar), within about 30 minutes - and lasting as long as 8-10 hours later - I get really hot, my heart races/pounds, I get out of breath, and I get "the shakes" or tremors and feel light-headed, dizzy and just plain feel awful.

... Has anyone heard of anything like this or experienced anything similar? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
It's called dumping syndrome: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumping_syndrome

"Dumping syndrome occurs when food, especially sugar, moves too quickly from the stomach to the duodenum."

"The symptoms of early and late dumping syndrome are different and vary from person to person. Early dumping syndrome symptoms may include:[1]
nausea
vomiting
abdominal pain and cramping
diarrhea
feeling uncomfortably full or bloated after a meal
sweating
weakness
dizziness
flushing, or blushing of the face or skin
rapid or irregular heartbeat

The symptoms of late dumping syndrome may include:[1]
hypoglycemia
sweating
weakness
rapid or irregular heartbeat
flushing
dizziness"

Old 10-18-2018, 12:39 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,363,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Your taste is accustomed to a bad diet, mostly the high sugar. Time for a change.

When people transition to quality veggies, greens, fruits, veggie fats ,etc. and avoid added sweeteners in all food choices, eventually they should lose the attraction to sugar and in many cases become repulsed by it. A cinnamon roll with icing would be inedible for me, unless starving!
I eat "clean" most of the time but I haven't lost my attraction to sugar at all and neither am I repulsed by it. Sweets aren't the devil but as with anything overconsumption leads to issues.

We all have vices.

I don't believe in elimination, I believe in moderation.

I eat a lot of sugary stuff on my weekly cheat day, but I follow that up with clean eating and an intense workout. eating clean flushes me out and the workout burns the glycogen that's stored up due to the excess carbs.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:25 PM

400 posts, read 515,875 times
This morning I had potatoes, eggs, blueberries and vanilla yogurt. Same result. In fact, I am a lot worse than yesterday. Felt fine before I ate, have been sick with all the same symptoms pretty much from about 30 minutes after eating and lasting for the last 6+ hours now. There is definitely something wrong but with no insurance - I don't know what to do. Maybe go to Walmart and see if I cant find a cheap blood pressure monitor and cheap blood sugar monitor? I don't know if my blood sugar is too high, too low and same with the blood pressure. But whatever the problem is - it is definitely related to eating. I can barely stand up or walk across the room.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:38 PM

22,934 posts, read 18,230,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post

A cinnamon roll with icing would be inedible for me, unless starving!
One big one dripping with frosting would be quite the sugar bomb, but TWO in one sitting? (insert non-existent gagging emoji here). The regional airport I fly out of has one of those Cinnabon stands on the concourse my flights usually depart from. Just the odor is bad enough. After wolfing down that much sugar (often with an oversized coffee or latte) those people should be able to fly to their destinations without the plane.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-18-2018 at 02:06 PM..

Old 10-18-2018, 01:50 PM

22,934 posts, read 18,230,585 times
Quote:
This morning I had potatoes, eggs, blueberries and vanilla yogurt. But whatever the problem is - it is definitely related to eating. I can barely stand up or walk across the room.
That's a a big breakfast. Maybe part of this was overloading too much into your system at once especially if you've been fasting overnight. You know starch converts to glucose right? Maybe smaller simpler meals more often would help you metabolize it more easily.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:01 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,363,064 times
Quote:
This morning I had potatoes, eggs, blueberries and vanilla yogurt. Same result. In fact, I am a lot worse than yesterday. Felt fine before I ate, have been sick with all the same symptoms pretty much from about 30 minutes after eating and lasting for the last 6+ hours now. There is definitely something wrong but with no insurance - I don't know what to do. Maybe go to Walmart and see if I cant find a cheap blood pressure monitor and cheap blood sugar monitor? I don't know if my blood sugar is too high, too low and same with the blood pressure. But whatever the problem is - it is definitely related to eating. I can barely stand up or walk across the room.
personally, unless that's your main meal of the day, maybe your body is trying to tell you that's too much food. Make the berries half a cup. Vanilla yogurt, half a cup. Chances are the potatoes are fried and greasy, not baked. Cut them.

Then see how you feel.

I don't have those symptoms, but overeating on the wrong stuff makes me feel physically bad.

If you say that eating "lame" stuff doesn't cause you gastric distress, then you should eat far more of the lame stuff and less of the stuff that causes you distress.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:06 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,588,689 times
Does this happen for breakfast only or at every meal? I really can’t have a huge breakfast. A “big” breakfast for me is a bagel (with light butter) or two pieces of toast, a banana, and a tiny glass of orange juice. Are you having 2 eggs or just one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness