U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 03:05 PM

330 posts, read 199,032 times

Advertisements

If 911 is called, resuscitation will not be attempted if, and only if, the patient is wearing a DNR bracelet provided by a doctor. This is what I was told by the EMT who responded to a 911 call after my father fell a couple of years ago. He was wearing such a bracelet (but didn't need resuscitation anyway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 03:44 PM

2,883 posts, read 1,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriact View Post
If 911 is called, resuscitation will not be attempted if, and only if, the patient is wearing a DNR bracelet provided by a doctor. This is what I was told by the EMT who responded to a 911 call after my father fell a couple of years ago. He was wearing such a bracelet (but didn't need resuscitation anyway).
Fascinating. I wonder if this is true in all cities and states, and if so, how the public is supposed to know this.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:49 PM

619 posts, read 223,627 times
quote:

Additionally, states specify what form a DNR must be in to be considered legally binding.
Commonly accepted forms of DNRs include:
Cards
Completed official forms
Approved necklets and bracelets

(NOT necklaces)

Old 10-22-2018, 05:14 PM

4,104 posts, read 1,529,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
quote:

Additionally, states specify what form a DNR must be in to be considered legally binding.
Commonly accepted forms of DNRs include:
Cards
Completed official forms
Approved necklets and bracelets

(NOT necklaces)
I'm sure in the heat of the emergency moment an EMT isn't searching for records or sending some attendant running for one. They are doing their minute-dependent job. If I had a DNR order in place I would have something on my person at all times stating that fact.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:50 PM

1,461 posts, read 328,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
When another relative was dying, I had to convince someone in the house not to dial 911. I said, "do you want him dying on a cold gurney, or here at home (which was his wish)?
Can't argue with that.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Can't argue with that.
It was hard, because the person was hysterical, but in the end, they listened to me and I am so grateful because the person was spared additional trauma.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:16 PM

5,796 posts, read 2,150,084 times
IF someone is either at home ( having Family Caregivers with daily visits by HC ( nurse) visiting and patient is deemed "END STAGE" ..UP here in Canada .. It's pre-written that it's "Hospice" care.. and IF Family calls THEY should have a # that would be more supportive and explanatory.. 911 responses is NOT whatPatient and Family should have already signed off!

DEATH with DIGNITY being surrounded by loved ones as happens in "HOSPICE" environment... But at home Care really should have multi-level involvement.

As to Feeding tube is only prolonging and best used when patient is awake and lucid ( which gives time for family to interact) however, if it's ONLY to prolong someone's bodily existence...It's sheerly for family to believe or have TIME to accept what's coming!

End of Life decisions should be discussed amongst close family members.. It's imperative for ALL to understand it!! END OF LIFE does NOT have to be NEGATIVE.. It's something Every living being will experience.. So, IF sudden death didn't occur.. then celebrate whatever time you surviving loving family members have

Old 10-22-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
IF someone is either at home ( having Family Caregivers with daily visits by HC ( nurse) visiting and patient is deemed "END STAGE" ..UP here in Canada .. It's pre-written that it's "Hospice" care.. and IF Family calls THEY should have a # that would be more supportive and explanatory.. 911 responses is NOT whatPatient and Family should have already signed off!

DEATH with DIGNITY being surrounded by loved ones as happens in "HOSPICE" environment... But at home Care really should have multi-level involvement.

As to Feeding tube is only prolonging and best used when patient is awake and lucid ( which gives time for family to interact) however, if it's ONLY to prolong someone's bodily existence...It's sheerly for family to believe or have TIME to accept what's coming!

End of Life decisions should be discussed amongst close family members.. It's imperative for ALL to understand it!! END OF LIFE does NOT have to be NEGATIVE.. It's something Every living being will experience.. So, IF sudden death didn't occur.. then celebrate whatever time you surviving loving family members have
Could not agree more!

Old 10-23-2018, 11:04 AM

84 posts, read 47,917 times
Worked in a nursing home.
DNR only means DO NOT RESUSCITATE. It does not mean do not hospitalize. It does not mean do not provide care. It doesn't mean don't call 911. It doesn't mean don't provide emergency measures and have the staff running around frantically.It doesn't mean no feeding tubes.

All it means is once the heart stop beating compressions are not to be initiated.

In my state DNR must be on a yellow paperto be considered legal. In my nursing home this yellow paper was placed at the front of the chart. The charts also had DNR stickers on the outside, the electronic record indicated DNR or CPR, some patients had DNR wristbands. With a lot of varying degrees of dementia, wristbands tend to find themselves in odd places.
When a DNR patient was sent to a hospital the yellow DNR paper had to go with them or else they would lose their DNR status until a new yellow paper was obtained. Sometimes papers get mixed up, electronic records don't get updated correctly, systems glitch, wristbands get put in the garbage, stickers fall off. The final say so was the yellow paper. DNR status was only determined by physical confirmation of the yellow paper RIGHT NOW.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmill View Post
Worked in a nursing home.
DNR only means DO NOT RESUSCITATE. It does not mean do not hospitalize. It does not mean do not provide care. It doesn't mean don't call 911. It doesn't mean don't provide emergency measures and have the staff running around frantically.It doesn't mean no feeding tubes.

All it means is once the heart stop beating compressions are not to be initiated.

In my state DNR must be on a yellow paperto be considered legal. In my nursing home this yellow paper was placed at the front of the chart. The charts also had DNR stickers on the outside, the electronic record indicated DNR or CPR, some patients had DNR wristbands. With a lot of varying degrees of dementia, wristbands tend to find themselves in odd places.
When a DNR patient was sent to a hospital the yellow DNR paper had to go with them or else they would lose their DNR status until a new yellow paper was obtained. Sometimes papers get mixed up, electronic records don't get updated correctly, systems glitch, wristbands get put in the garbage, stickers fall off. The final say so was the yellow paper. DNR status was only determined by physical confirmation of the yellow paper RIGHT NOW.
I know exactly what it means.

Glad your nursing home had some kind of system to identify DNR patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or