Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does a doctor's bedside manner (i.e. personality, etc.) matter to you?
It's extremely important to me. I want a doctor I can relate to as a person. 32 45.07%
It's nice if we can hit it off, but if we don't, it's not worth changing doctors over. 16 22.54%
My doctor could be the biggest stick in the mud of all time as long as he knows what he's doing. 21 29.58%
What an odd question! I've never even given it any thought. 2 2.82%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 02:09 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times

Advertisements

Today, the best doctors do not shake hands. Doctors do not want to pass around any disease or virus from one patient to another. My doctors, always as they enter the room use hand cleaner to eliminate transfer of problems from one patient to another, and do not shake hands, as the patient may contaminate them by shaking hands.

I want a doctor, that is all business, and I have observed over the years, a happy go lucky personality doctor is not always that good.

My former Cardiologist worked seeing patients 2 days a week. The other 3 days he was operating or seeing in hospital patients. He was all business, no jokes, no happy you are here and wanting to chit chat. He was all business. He was the head of the Cardiology Department.

If my heart went to an irregular heart beat, I went to his office, and first thing the staff would do an EKG, and as soon as he could get free he would be there to see me. To get him to work at this big new hospital, they had to supply him office space in private office right outside the Cardiology Section, so he was available to patients he had to see in an emergency. If you were going in the tunnel (MRI), he did not wait for a report but was there with a separate monitor he could observe not just let the ones administrating the MRI, send him a report.

He found the medicine combination, that allowed me to not have any more episodes, except one, that I took one pill kept for such an event, and by the time we could go 1.5 miles to the hospital, I was back in rhythm. I have been on that medicine for over 12 years now.

He does not have a bubbly, lets hug personality that some people want. He is all business, not unfriendly, but strictly business. I wish he was here where I now live.

Give me that type of personality in a doctor any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 02:15 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
He does not have a bubbly, lets hug personality that some people want. He is all business, not unfriendly, but strictly business.
And apparently you think that's what I want. I'm glad you've found a doctor you're happy with. I'd like someone that's somewhere in between a "bubbly let's hug" personality and someone who realizes he's taking care of me and not just the brakes on my car or my broken toilet.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:46 PM

119 posts, read 90,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Today, the best doctors do not shake hands. Doctors do not want to pass around any disease or virus from one patient to another. My doctors, always as they enter the room use hand cleaner to eliminate transfer of problems from one patient to another, and do not shake hands, as the patient may contaminate them by shaking hands.
The potential infection risk of a handshake has been studied, and there are reports that support, and those that refute, the idea that reducing or eliminating the number of handshakes has a meaningful impact on infections (including studies in areas where the potential for harm is great, like neonatal intensive care units). In my office, with my patients, I wash my hands with soap and water before and after contacting patients (and after contacting surfaces that the patient has contacted). No foam cleansers or gel cleansers are used except in emergency situations.

And, yes, I often shake a patient's hand, and firmly disagree with the assertion that "the best doctors" do not.

Old 12-15-2022, 07:48 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,640,223 times
I don't really care about charm per se but communication is important. I was looking for an endocrinologist today and googled the names that another doctor had given me and immediately eliminated those whose reviews said that they never return emails or phone calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness