Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 06:19 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times

Advertisements

watch "the magic pill" on Netflix.....

the food demons are sugars and carbs not meats not fats...

ive been on a keto ish diet for a while and never felt better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktmzaKYGdvw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 04:22 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,606,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
watch "the magic pill" on Netflix.....

the food demons are sugars and carbs not meats not fats...

ive been on a keto ish diet for a while and never felt better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktmzaKYGdvw
Hey, good vid but here's the thing.

Ornish got great results using higher carbs & lower fats. I think, IMHO, that since the body hasn't evolved any different since '91, it is the environmental probs causing heart issues.

So, yes, Ornish now adds moderate nuts/seeds but still likes low fat dairy or low fats in gen. A leap from the early 90s diet he used. If so, it can only HELP heart pt's as this refines the heart diet even more. It is still (his diet) rated #1 yr after yr for Heart diets.

The Mediterrean is v good too but believe it or not, Ornish's diet rates better. Hmm, I combine his & Mediterrean w/ fish & no red meat, poultry, etc. I eat tempeh, some whey protein, some plant protein powders & chia, hemp, or pea or even rice proteins. Rice & beans are a cheap staple. Yes, I eat whole eggs, but eat non fat dairy yogurt. Also, Almond or Cashew milk. Lots of fruit, veggies & complex carbs as such including yams & boiled/bakes potatoes.

Just my take on it...

Old 10-28-2018, 08:42 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,245,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the food demons are sugars and carbs not meats not fats..

Yeah, let's see who the "food demons" are a year from now.

And then three years from now.

And then five ...... etc.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:33 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,725 times
Relative was in hospital a few weeks ago and got a stent. The heart diet she came home with definitely was low fat with no cheese or whole dairy products included!

Old 11-03-2018, 09:01 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
Lowering heart disease odds if you are have a genetic predisposition is tough. Something close to the paleo diet would be best... reduced carb, high in lean meats, salads, fish, fresh and cooked vegetables... but if you have bad genes you're basically screwed no matter what you eat.

Like it or not when we evolved as a species we didn't necessarily pass on genetic traits that made us long lived.. it was more important that we passed on our seed to the next generation and we really only had to live to about the age of 35 to do that, since we were having kids at age 13-25 through most of evolutionary history.... it's why most people start to hit a wall around 40 where the body suddenly falls apart.

500 years ago being 50 would have made you an elder. It's just the way it is. Perhaps with enough time or genetic engineering we can "fix" these problems. However, I would not recommend eating high amounts of saturated fat if you have high cholesterol. If anything I'd eat a high amount of omega-9 fats along with a low carb diet. I admit I could be wrong. It's possible a zero carb diet high in saturated fat could work in preventing heart disease. Carbs as a whole damage the body more than saturated fat, all things taken into consideration. It's really bad food combining along with excess calories that is the worst, though.. it's having high carb and high fat at the same time and then overeating on top of it.. the inflammation caused by the carbs combined with the free fatty acids now being assimilated is a double whammy.

Eat smaller meals also.

Last edited by sholomar; 11-03-2018 at 09:10 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 05:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
I think all this research proves there are no right or wrong ways to do things or to eat. I guess it goes without saying, smaller is better or as many of us know: moderation is the answer. The research done today will be outdated next year. I take the research with a grain of salt . But that is just me.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Relative was in hospital a few weeks ago and got a stent. The heart diet she came home with definitely was low fat with no cheese or whole dairy products included!
I agree in that it hurts not-- to reduce fats (even theoretical good ones) -- & thus avoid probs. If it turns out those fats are ok, then we just did w/out. If tho it turns out they were bad -- then we cannot undue damage -- as you can't take back food ingested.

Also, re cholesterol & food intake; from what I know ingested (exogenous) high cholesterol foods do not amount to increasing endogenous cholesterol. Our bodies produce the amount we have inside, whether it becomes too much or too little is not outside food. I have super low but it is a cancer risk says my doc. So either way, extremes hurt. But v little I can do to boost it -- other than exercise, red wine & a few ideas as such.

Yes, sugar & carbs aren't ok. But even brown or basmati rice, sprouted bread, whole wheat pasta, etc. turns to glucose, thus -- tho they are better than candy bars in that they're slower digestion & lower insulin response -- they still form glucose & can damage arteries via high bld sugar.

Ok, much more from you guys is welcome. I also, eat a few eggs daily (whole eggs) & no change in cholesterol -- good or bad -- is seen in a yr or so. Just an aside.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:39 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
If you are eating carbs as your main source of energy, to me, limiting fat does make sense.

OTOH, if you are eating low-carb, you need fat as an energy-source. Or you can just eat a lot of protein, much of it will get converted into glucose anyways.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If you are eating carbs as your main source of energy, to me, limiting fat does make sense.

OTOH, if you are eating low-carb, you need fat as an energy-source. Or you can just eat a lot of protein, much of it will get converted into glucose anyways.
Protein does convert via gluconeogenesis yet hard on kidneys thus limit my intake. I moderate good carbs w/ fats -- nuts & seeds, some dairy & cheese, & fish & protein powders or rice & beans, tempeh, etc. It works ok for now.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:08 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Protein does convert via gluconeogenesis yet hard on kidneys thus limit my intake. I moderate good carbs w/ fats -- nuts & seeds, some dairy & cheese, & fish & protein powders or rice & beans, tempeh, etc. It works ok for now.

I just find my energy going down and down when I start eating carbs, even a moderate amount of
"good" carbs. In all honest, I believe that I am probably an undiagnosed type-2 diabetic......have seen some quite high BS reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness