Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 11:55 AM

7,239 posts, read 5,117,125 times

Advertisements

A pertinent thoughts:

a) Be VERY careful of any advice you get on a forum like this. Eg-- taking extra Iodine will suppress your thyroid, not improve it's function. I know this is America, but "if one is good, two must be better" is not always true.

2) A Normal blood test is a normal blood test. Being in the upper end of normal is not better than being in the lower end. It's like a home run: one hit into the upper deck may be more impressive than one that just sneaks into the first row of seats, but they both count the same on the final score.

C) Fatigue is a non-specific complaint and is never diagnostic. It could be a bad nite's sleep, a nagging wife, a lousy boss or some serious disease. It needs to be checked out, but---> see #d

d] Your T4 (gas in the tank), your T3 (gas in the engine) and TSH (foot on the gas pedal) are all normal, so there is nothing wrong with your thyroid function. Look elsewhere.

5) Take iron for anemia? TERRIBLE advice! NEVER take ANY iron unless you've got proven iron deficiency anemia AND the reason for the deficiency has been found!

Eg-- suppose you have a small colon cancer that is slowly leaking blood- not enough to see- but eventually you become Fe deficient and a routine yearly blood count shows you're anemic. Further testing shows it's Fe-deficiency. They do a colonoscopy as part of the routine work-up for Fe-deficiency and find a small malignant polyp. It's cut out via the colonoscope and your life is saved easily.....but had you been routinely taking Fe, you would never have been found to be anemic and the colonoscopy would not have been done...They wouldn't find your cancer until it had grown to football size and then it's too late.

Did I mention NEVER take Iron supplements unless you have PROVEN Fe deficiency AND its cause has been found?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 12:38 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
After reading all these forums it is a wonder why any of us go to drs anymore .

Old 10-25-2018, 12:39 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
After reading all these forums it is a wonder why any of us go to drs anymore .
Well, I don't but once a year for my annual check in and that's coming up.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:40 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The heightened inflammation could well be the cause of the T3 at the lower end of normal. That is the euthyroid sick syndrome I mentioned earlier.

Estrogen can reduce the amount of circulating T4, but your level s normal. What HRT meds are you using? Taking estrogen via a patch avoids the effect on T4.

Well, I went to the doctor this morning and after discussing this and that, we decided that I take a vit D lab.
My blood pressure was really low...96/60...I take Diovan 80mg, so I hv to monitor it for 2 wks and fax her the results.

She also thinks it could be my lack of HRT. I take bio-identical hormones when I can afford them (getting ready to re-order) and Estrace 0.5mg when I can't.

She is scheduling a 2nd opinion for me, and I'll decide in the meantime whether I will go or not.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:46 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The heightened inflammation could well be the cause of the T3 at the lower end of normal. That is the euthyroid sick syndrome I mentioned earlier.

Estrogen can reduce the amount of circulating T4, but your level s normal. What HRT meds are you using? Taking estrogen via a patch avoids the effect on T4.

Yes, I read that abt the heightened inflammation, I looked up the definition of 'euthyroid', but couldn't find it.?????

I take the bio-identicals. Such a hassle to figure out the right dosage.

**parentologist...yes, the lexapro worked, but I felt even more dog tired after it wore off.
Believe me, I do not wish to have any thyroid problems.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:00 PM

37,098 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
Yes, I read that abt the heightened inflammation, I looked up the definition of 'euthyroid', but couldn't find it.?????

I take the bio-identicals. Such a hassle to figure out the right dosage.

**parentologist...yes, the lexapro worked, but I felt even more dog tired after it wore off.
Believe me, I do not wish to have any thyroid problems.
"Euthyroid" just means the thyroid is working normally, despite the T3 at the bottom of the normal range.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:22 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

d] Your T4 (gas in the tank), your T3 (gas in the engine) and TSH (foot on the gas pedal) are all normal, so there is nothing wrong with your thyroid function. Look elsewhere.

These are not the only tests that look at thyroid function. In order to get a complete picture, she should have a complete thyroid panel done. It may turn out that it's not her thyroid, but for someone, especially a doctor, to say that based on the most basic of tests is irresponsible.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:54 PM

7,239 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
These are not the only tests that look at thyroid function.
But they're the only blood tests of practical clinical importance. Even the free T3 is rarely needed, and tests for thyroid antibodies are only of academic interest, not altering treatment in the least.

A thyroid scan is only needed if there is a question of masses /nodules and to calculate dosage in RAI treatment of hyperthyroidism--it adds nothing to the diagnosis or management of hypothyroidism.

Actually, free T4 isn't usually needed--the simple, total T4 is adequate for most cases. Free T4 can be helpful in patients with serum protein abnormalities, probably most commonly in pregnant women.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:56 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Oh, she would do good if she/he could find an old time MD who treats by symptoms and not the lame numbers..one who really knows the thyroid history. That's is the type MD that worked for me. No labs, started with theraputic dose of Armour and went from there. She/he may only need some tweaking. Half grain could make a major change for OP. Or might do better with eventual 1 grain.

Or even a young MD who works with symptoms.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-25-2018 at 05:07 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 05:25 PM

37,098 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh, she would do good if she/he could find an old time MD who treats by symptoms and not the lame numbers..one who really knows the thyroid history. That's is the type MD that worked for me. No labs, started with theraputic dose of Armour and went from there. She/he may only need some tweaking. Half grain could make a major change for OP. Or might do better with eventual 1 grain.

Or even a young MD who works with symptoms.
Hypothyroidism is not the only possible cause of the OP's symptoms. Treating someone with normal thyroid function studies with (life-long) thyroid replacement is irresponsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness