U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 09:37 PM

4,702 posts, read 5,850,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well I think jogging causes you to breath harder than all of those examples. For example, in skiing, most of the work is done for you through gravity and you don't have to breath as much, since you are not burning off as many calories compared to jogging, at least I don't think you are cause of gravity doing a lot of it. Same with skating, hunting or working maybe?
As others have said here, many people run in very cold temperatures. I think breathing hard makes it easier. Your entire body warms up and you don't feel the cold until you get to extremely low temperatures.

Regarding skiing, it depends on the type of skiing that you are doing. Skiing on steep moguls is hard work and you will be out of breath in a short time and your legs will be burning. I've skied in minus temperatures with a scarf over my face, but it was more to avoid frostbite than because of breathing issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 09:45 PM

3,089 posts, read 6,638,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Ran for decades through winters in Maine and Massachusetts never had a problem with "lungs hurting from cold air"
I live at 8200 feer elevation and run when it's -10 degrees (in California!) Layer your clothes. There's a lot of ridiculous nonsense in this thread from people who do not run (breathe through your nose... it hurts your joints). All sheer lunacy. Wear a hat, gloves and layer your clothing. Get out and RUN no matter what the conditions. The exception is ice because that can injure you severely. Being cold and uncomfy for an hour or so during your run is a lot better than sitting on the couch and doing nothing. Force yourself to remain active in the winter, your mind and your body will thank you.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:07 PM

10,416 posts, read 7,504,380 times
Get acclimated and dress appropriately. I like a scarf around my face but after a while it gets wet from my exhaust.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:52 PM

510 posts, read 244,084 times
I don't jog, but I do walk very briskly in temperatures down to the single digits in the winter months. I dress in layers, I wear a hat on my head, and a scarf over my face and nose to keep them warm. This year I bought a bavaclava to help keep me warm. I've never had my lungs feel cold like you've mentioned, usually it's just my face that will get cold and my hair and eyelashes freeze.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:38 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,515,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I live at 8200 feer elevation and run when it's -10 degrees (in California!) Layer your clothes. There's a lot of ridiculous nonsense in this thread from people who do not run (breathe through your nose... it hurts your joints). All sheer lunacy. Wear a hat, gloves and layer your clothing. Get out and RUN no matter what the conditions. The exception is ice because that can injure you severely. Being cold and uncomfy for an hour or so during your run is a lot better than sitting on the couch and doing nothing. Force yourself to remain active in the winter, your mind and your body will thank you.
Yep....agree completely

You can run in pretty much any conditions if you are prepared and extreme heat is much worse than extreme cold.

Layering and getting proper winter running gear is also important you can be overdressed for winter running your body will warm up very quickly, you don't need to wear as much as you think....

Old 10-29-2018, 01:22 AM

3,006 posts, read 982,783 times
Okay thanks. Even if I dress up, the lungs still hurt from the cold air but I can try. Asthma was mentioned and I use to have asthma as a teen maybe that is the why it hurts?

As for temperature, anything at 40 degrees F or below hurts my lungs.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:48 AM

69,382 posts, read 79,577,446 times
Quote:
That is the problem I have when trying to jog in the fall/winter, or this time of year, yet everyone else is doing it, even people who are much older. How do they do it, cause when I do, I just really want to come home and warm my lungs up since it hurts to breath cold air.

It doesn't hurt while walking to breath, just while jogging and the breathing is much more heavy. So how do other people do it?
Maybe their bodies are just accustom to the cold: I don't know, but I do know they make me cold just to see them out there.With all the ways we have to exercise today, I can't understand those who run up and down the roads. I do know, most have something over their face. I give them a lot of credit for attempting to stay in shape.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:23 AM

1,483 posts, read 697,069 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. Even if I dress up, the lungs still hurt from the cold air but I can try. Asthma was mentioned and I use to have asthma as a teen maybe that is the why it hurts?
Probably. Cold air can trigger an attack.

I don't have asthma but, generally, when my body sends me clear signs not to do something, I don't.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:49 PM

10,835 posts, read 12,882,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Ran for decades through winters in Maine and Massachusetts never had a problem with "lungs hurting from cold air"
Exactly. The air hurts my face... not my lungs. Maybe you should see someone?!?

Old 10-29-2018, 03:30 PM

40 posts, read 5,309 times
Wear a balaclava.

You can get thin ones of silk to thick ones of flannel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or