U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 06:52 PM

918 posts, read 816,644 times

Advertisements

Iíve been wearing glasses (nearsightedness) since 16 and am in late 40s now. Over the years, the prescription slowly got stronger but not too terribly. However, I just had an exam after almost 3 years and turns out I need much stronger prescription both for distance (-6.75 vs -5 before) and also +1.5 for near vision.

I work on a computer all day and have been just wearing glasses all the time for almost 20 years. With the previous prescription lately Iíve had a problem reading very small font (have to take glasses off) but otherwise have no major issues, including driving. Although I pretty much drive the same route, so maybe just didnít notice.

Now my concern is that with the new prescription Iíd have to get either progressive lenses or 2 separate glasses. I asked the doctor and he said that with progressives you really need to watch for the position. But looking at the screen is not the same angle as at a book, so this might be an issue.

Since itís costly to experiment with lenses, Iím wondering if anyone had the same issue (going from nearsightedness to progressive lenses or 2 glasses) and could share their experience. Did progressives work out for you? Was it a difficult adjustment? Any drawbacks? Especially interested to hear from those who also have to look at a screen a lot.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 07:08 PM

3,479 posts, read 1,990,917 times
I couldn't stand the progressive lenses

Im nearsighted with astigmatism. I dont use the glasses, bifocal or not, for my phone, for example. Anything i need to read up close or small print i dont wear the bifocals.....

Unless i was looking straight up at the top or straight down at the bottom, i could not see anythibg anywhere in between. Not the computer, not a book, not my phone not road signs.

I stayed with regular lined bifocals as im either looking beliw the line or totally above it and can see anything.

I may have to go progressive if i need trifocals.

My OH cant stand the line. And only wears progressives.

What id like to try is the transitions lenses that get dark in bright light, and clear in dim light. My OH has those now.

Your results may vary....

:think:

Old 10-29-2018, 07:17 PM

8,275 posts, read 10,530,300 times
For progressive lenses, I will only recommend the brand Varilux. Unlike other progressive lenses, the reading area is very large and easy to adjust to. They are more expensive, and some places like Lenscrafters don't offer them and will try to convince you that their version of progressives are just as good. They aren't! I tried two other kids of progressives, including Lenscrafters, and hated them. Verilux was like night and day compared to them. I don't have to hold my head at some odd angle to try to "catch" the reading zone.
I've worn all the previous versions of Varilux lenses for 18 years now. My last job was all computer; I had no visual issues. My current pair has the Varilux Physio lens, but I'm already planning to get the latest version, X Series, for my new glasses. Read here: https://www.essilorusa.com/products/varilux

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 10-29-2018 at 07:25 PM..

Old 10-29-2018, 07:17 PM

3,078 posts, read 1,040,161 times
Love them. My regular glasses and a very expensive pair of driving sunglasses are progressive, with the very mild correction (slight astig, mostly) overall and +2.5 reading in the bottom arc. Best of both worlds, especially as I can see the dash, radio, nav etc. clearly while driving.

I have an Rx pair for the desk that is single-focus and does a slightly better job than some weak readers (-1.5 from my usual strength) because of the astigmatism correction, but the right large-lens readers work almost as well and have let me keep a pair at work and other places I need to use computers. They're just okay for reading but I make them work.

All of my Rx glasses are getting a little old, but I will definitely go with progressives on all three in the replacements. Just don't have time to switch out to readers continually, and my correction has declined jussssst enough that I can't do most things without my glasses now. (Damn this getting old thing.)

OTOH, until I was 40 I wore contacts/glasses in the 7-8.00 range. One round of PRK later and all I needed for years was light readers.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:24 PM

19,640 posts, read 53,536,771 times
I love my Varilux lenses! Very easy to see computer and across the room.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:05 PM

5,120 posts, read 12,731,976 times
Hubby tried them once, and couldn't get the "hang" of it. As his vision got worse, he gave it another try, and FINALLY was able to make them work.
He's since had cataract surgery, and had the "expensive" corrective lenses implanted...now he needs NO glasses at all!

Old 10-30-2018, 04:09 PM

18,032 posts, read 17,175,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
For progressive lenses, I will only recommend the brand Varilux. Unlike other progressive lenses, the reading area is very large and easy to adjust to. They are more expensive, and some places like Lenscrafters don't offer them and will try to convince you that their version of progressives are just as good. They aren't! I tried two other kids of progressives, including Lenscrafters, and hated them. Verilux was like night and day compared to them. I don't have to hold my head at some odd angle to try to "catch" the reading zone.
I've worn all the previous versions of Varilux lenses for 18 years now. My last job was all computer; I had no visual issues. My current pair has the Varilux Physio lens, but I'm already planning to get the latest version, X Series, for my new glasses. Read here: https://www.essilorusa.com/products/varilux
Varilux, and nothing but Varilux. More expensive but non Verilux were a total waste of money. Couldn't even see straight to walk in the non Varilux glasses.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:42 PM

Thanks so much for the replies!

Currently I have 2 old pairs of glasses and use the stronger one for driving (it also has transition lenses) but weaker one to wear around indoors on daily basis. I thought I’d be OK with 2 pairs going forward but haven’t realized that it’d be one for close-up tasks and one for anything else, so I’d be switching glasses like every 30 min instead of just twice daily.

New prescription just happens to be a big jump for me compared to old one and I already had trouble in the past adjusting to new glasses, so I’m freaking out.

Thanks for the info about Verilux! Does anyone have experience with Costco Kirkland brand lenses?

Old 10-30-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
OTOH, until I was 40 I wore contacts/glasses in the 7-8.00 range. One round of PRK later and all I needed for years was light readers.
Wait, did you get a laser surgery AFTER 40? I thought itís usually done at younger age.

20 years ago an eye doctor told me that with my prescription Iíd be able to read without glasses in my 40s. What a bunch of baloney that turned out to be. Sigh...

Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM

41,037 posts, read 32,728,581 times
I have progressive lenses and love them. My lenses aren't large but they're also not tiny. I have trifocals by the way. After about a day, "switching" and finding the right spot for driving, computer work, reading, etc became a non issue. It just takes a little bit of adjusting.

This is at least my fourth round of progressive prescription lenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness