U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 10:31 PM

15,746 posts, read 9,735,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It's my own fault. My trainer warned me about extending my arm in repetitive motions.

The soonest I can get in to see my doctor is Tuesday and he's probably just going to say, "Yup, that's the problem" and refer me to an ortho.

How do I deal with the pain in the meantime?

I had a friend, now passed, who was a very prominent orthopedic surgeon. My rotator cuff started to bother me, and I asked him about getting it fixed. He checked the movement of my arm and said " Leave it alone and see what happens. The after effects of the surgery can be worse than the initial problem."

He was right, the thing cleared up and it has been years since I had that problem. Glad I didn't try to have it repaired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 11:31 PM

4,632 posts, read 10,526,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I tore my rotator cuff and I just got an ex ray. MRI seems like overkill, but I could be wrong. My ortho gave me a cortisone shot and I did two weeks with a PT, so mine wasn't bad even though it was very painful. Your husband obviously had a more intense injury and the MRI was warranted. Also, it can takes weeks to get one depending on insurance and availability.
You can't diagnose a rotator cuff tear with a plain x ray, MRI is needed if tear is suspected.

That being said, what you had done, cortisone injection and PT is perfectly reasonable for a rotator cuff injury and often all that is needed. If your symptoms hadn't improved you probably would have needed a MRI

Old 11-03-2018, 12:43 AM

5,483 posts, read 3,434,621 times
I appreciate the info. You guys are great. Fortunately, I donít sleep on that side.

I have a bunch of those gel packs in the freezer, so Iíll ice it four times a day.

Man, I always thought rotator cuff injuries were the province of weightlifters and football players.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:23 AM

38,716 posts, read 45,171,822 times
I had a bad experience with rotator cuff surgery, took years and years of therapy and pain killers until I could get about 80% usage again. Went for 2nd opinions about the botched job and the other doctors said I would need a shoulder replacement if I wanted to be 100%. I said no and still deal with limited movement of that shoulder.
A few years later had a similar tear on the opposite shoulder and decided to leave it alone and baby it for awhile and have no surgery. Best decision I made as it healed back to normal use within 6-8 months.
My suggestion is to get more than one opinion before doing any surgery.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:51 PM

8,860 posts, read 2,444,554 times
If you're not worried about such things, Tylenol #3 (Codeine) will definitely help AND is much safer than larger doses of Tylenol. Many of those pain killers destroy your liver, kidneys or stomach or all of them!

I have done physical work PLUS recreational stuff my entire life and am 64 now. Moderation IS the key. Every cell in our bodies is programmed to do a certain thing for a certain length of time. You may be able to build up muscles but you can't build up nerves and other things to the same degree!

Dang - my shoulders click and clack and bang and make all kinds of noises but I just avoid too much stress on them for now. At some point if I keep insisting on playing tennis, etc. I'll probably have to get them fixed up...

As an illustration of how some overdo it - in my tennis league when I was about 50 there was a guy younger than I and he had both elbows and both knees (and who knows what else) completely done due to JUST tennis.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:41 PM

19,012 posts, read 6,233,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I had a bad experience with rotator cuff surgery, took years and years of therapy and pain killers until I could get about 80% usage again. Went for 2nd opinions about the botched job and the other doctors said I would need a shoulder replacement if I wanted to be 100%. I said no and still deal with limited movement of that shoulder.
A few years later had a similar tear on the opposite shoulder and decided to leave it alone and baby it for awhile and have no surgery. Best decision I made as it healed back to normal use within 6-8 months.
My suggestion is to get more than one opinion before doing any surgery.
Sounds like a friend's experience, she had shoulder surgery, lots of rehab and was not doing well at all...this probably went on for maybe a year or so post surgery and then she did the replacement. More rehab and I guess she's OK but so much misery she went thru...

I have shoulder issues and never had xrays so who knows what is going on their but I keep working them and do what I do. Prolotherapy gave me 3 yrs pain free help over 10 yrs ago in the one shoulder. I could use more of the Prolo but funds keep me back now.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:47 PM

1,471 posts, read 522,137 times
I hope it is something that will improve without surgery. Please update as you get more info.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:05 PM

4,293 posts, read 1,598,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
You *must* use them correctly, though. Alternate the dosages- for example, if Tylenol and Ibuprofen are (each) every four hours, take the Tylenol, then, two hours later take the Ibuprofen and continue to alternate every two hours. (I rarely take these, so I am not really familiar with the dosing schedules, just alternate by splitting the time between them...this is what I was advised by an MD.)
Actually the MD who suggested the combination didn't mention alternating them, just not to exceed the hourly/daily limit of either one. Again, its not intended for more than a day or so. Haven't done it for years, so maybe thoughts about using them together have shifted. It definitely worked!

Old 11-03-2018, 07:04 PM

5,467 posts, read 4,595,966 times
A partial tear may heal on its own, but a full thickness tear will not. According to my ortho dr. the longer you wait the more difficult it is to fix, because the torn ends retract.

If surgery is needed, it is a painful and long recovery process with months of physical therapy. Hopefully OP does have a partial tear that may heal with rest and time.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:59 PM

21,575 posts, read 26,211,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
A partial tear may heal on its own, but a full thickness tear will not. According to my ortho dr. the longer you wait the more difficult it is to fix, because the torn ends retract.

If surgery is needed, it is a painful and long recovery process with months of physical therapy. Hopefully OP does have a partial tear that may heal with rest and time.
This.

My mother waited too long to get hers repaired. Even with a tendon graft (from a pig) she did not get good results, with limited ability to lift that arm over her head. At her age she never considered a joint replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness