U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 12:31 PM

15,085 posts, read 16,789,882 times

Advertisements

X-rays eliminate other common possible problems that may be mistaken for soft tissue injury for a fraction of the cost of an MRI. That's why they are done first.

If X-Rays don't reveal the problem, then you get the expensive MRI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 05:50 PM

6,938 posts, read 4,515,848 times
OP - what is your range of motion? Can you lift your arm out, to full horizontal (lateral) extension? What about, to full horizontal ahead of you?

I had a similar malady, detailed here: Shoulder injury - ideas? . Now several days after the events described therein, pain is abating, and range of motion is returning… but it’s a slow process. One feels that one’s shoulder is not entirely one’s own, but some almost foreign object, stuck there, festering. There’s a tremendous desire to stretch the arm, to stand up, grasp a pole or a corner of the wall, turn one’s torso away, and stretch… only that would be painful, and probably damaging.

Treatment? Just patience. Yesterday I did perfunctory curves with a 5-pound dumbbell. That loosened up the arm again, before going running – which helped even more. For a person oriented towards weightlifting, seemingly the thing that matters most, is being able to get back into weightlifting, to pick up those heavy weights, that make the 45-pound bar bend and vibrate. The waiting, the listless waiting, is gnawing and debilitating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You will need an mri and the doctor will take it from there. We have a friend whose rotator cuff healed on its own. My husband just had surgery with 7 screws put in. There is no point guessing until you have facts.
MRIs are expensive, especially if one has no (or minimal) insurance. Presumably with good insurance, the first course is to seek professional medical advice. It's with lack of insurance that we have to improvise, and to rely on anecdotal advice.

Last edited by ohio_peasant; 11-04-2018 at 06:42 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 06:04 PM

423 posts, read 892,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
A combination of acetaminophen and ibuprofen can relieve severe pain very effectively....more so than either of them separately. Ibuprofen for it's anti-inflammatory effects which reduces swelling/pain, the acetaminophen because it reduces the response and sensitivity to pain impulses (if I understand that correctly). You wouldn't want to do this for more than a day or so however.

When I have a soft tissue injury (pretty often because I stupidly tend to overdo things) I usually ice it, rest it, take some ibuprofen.
I guess you have never had severe pain because there is no way that taking Tylenol and ibuprofen can help severe pain. If you have never been prescribed opioids, then you have never been in severe pain. I could go on and on but it would only make me aggravated.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:30 PM

19,318 posts, read 10,356,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
A full tear usually occurs due to some traumatic incident such as a fall. Yours doesn't sound like that category needing surgery, which is good because most rotator cuff surgeries for full tears have a ***** of physical therapy ahead.
Yep, my rotator cuff tear was from a fall. It was multi-level, full thickness and the MRI report didn't even give a measurement, literally just described it as a massive tear.

I was fortunate to have an excellent recovery from surgery and extensive PT. It was hard work, but it was my dominant arm and I was very motivated and very compliant with my treatment plan.

OP, I second the question someone else just asked about your current range of motion? With my injury, I could not move my upper arm at all. I could use my lower arm, and prior to the surgery, I was able to type with that hand as long as my arm was propped up the right way (after the surgery, my arm was immobilized for many weeks, so i had to type one handed). If you have decent ROM, then I think there is a better chance that you may do ok with conservative treatment. At least Tuesday isn't too far away at this point.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:49 PM

27,255 posts, read 38,491,735 times
Fell on ice in 1999. Still bothers me some days. Some days not. I don't do surgery unless the problem is life threatening. Had surgery once. Once is enough.

My wife's was so bad that hey had cadaver tissue on hand just in case. It wasn't needed luckily. She has healed completely.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:09 PM

10,496 posts, read 5,058,812 times
Get some Tiger Baum from the pharmacy and rub a little in, it will improve. This morning my husband has problem with his knee, must be from lifting boxes helping my daughter moved recently, I rubbed some on his knee. He is feeling better already. That helps with the pain and let it heal naturally.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:39 PM

19,706 posts, read 6,527,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Get some Tiger Baum from the pharmacy and rub a little in, it will improve. This morning my husband has problem with his knee, must be from lifting boxes helping my daughter moved recently, I rubbed some on his knee. He is feeling better already. That helps with the pain and let it heal naturally.
I have joint issues and Ultra Tiger Balm is high on my list. So many go right to sugeries and there are times when an emergency case warrants this but so often things will end up worse as so much tissue is cut out and the trauma of it all.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:48 PM

10,496 posts, read 5,058,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have joint issues and Ultra Tiger Balm is high on my list. So many go right to sugeries and there are times when an emergency case warrants this but so often things will end up worse as so much tissue is cut out and the trauma of it all.
Yeah, I stock up on them. Itís my go to for muscle strain and pain. It does stink a little bit which is why I avoid using it. But I hate to limb around in pain.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:50 PM

19,706 posts, read 6,527,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Yeah, I stock up on them. Itís my go to for muscle strain and pain. It does stink a little bit which is why I avoid using it. But I hate to limb around in pain.
To me it's a healing smell, no stink as I'm concerned.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:22 AM

14,731 posts, read 29,957,585 times
I swear by Tiger Balm. Not only does it relieve my pain/soreness, but it helps heal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness