U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2018, 04:30 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,748,464 times

Advertisements

i have a pt that is experiencing new low vision issues due to internal bleeding in his eyes. it would be easier to train the pt to locate the items around him using the white cane. however, he has some endurance and balance issues that necessitate using the walker for safety with walking around, hence making the use of the cane cumbersome. I could easily recommend the use of a wheelchair, but the pt needs to be able to walk as well

i'm imploring the healthcare professionals and people who have experienced this themselves to share their experience on how they managed such new deficit along with safety for mobility. would highly appreciate your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

1,600 posts, read 2,977,007 times
Are you with your State school for the blind? If not, then I recommend that he enrolls asap. If he will not use a wheelchair (which sounds like the safest option), perhaps a guide dog might help.

Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM

21,566 posts, read 26,190,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Are you with your State school for the blind? If not, then I recommend that he enrolls asap. If he will not use a wheelchair (which sounds like the safest option), perhaps a guide dog might help.
It is a mobility issue. It is difficult to use a walker and handle either a cane or a hold a dog's harness.

OP, there is interesting research on walkers with technology to help someone who is also vision impaired, but I do not know what is commercially available. Here are a couple. Google "smart walker" for more.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...8_Smart_Walker

https://www.ethz.ch/en/news-and-even...ng-aid%20.html

One solution suggested in a post I read was to use Velcro to attach the arm that will use a cane to a support on the arm of a walker, leaving that hand free to hold the cane.

Old Today, 08:59 AM

1,600 posts, read 2,977,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It is a mobility issue. It is difficult to use a walker and handle either a cane or a hold a dog's harness.

OP, there is interesting research on walkers with technology to help someone who is also vision impaired, but I do not know what is commercially available. Here are a couple. Google "smart walker" for more.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...8_Smart_Walker

https://www.ethz.ch/en/news-and-even...ng-aid%20.html

One solution suggested in a post I read was to use Velcro to attach the arm that will use a cane to a support on the arm of a walker, leaving that hand free to hold the cane.
There are devices that may help this is an example https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/1...ally-impaired/ He would wear this on his person (not attached to a cane or walker).

These types are expensive, but if the person cannot pay for it themselves vocational rehabilitation can provide the item.

Another course of action can be to ask for a donation from organizations like the Lions or Kiwanis club. SSDI or SSI and Medicare will not pay for such devices (being disabled is extremely expensive).

You stated that he is your pt, are you a PT or Dr. Are you affiliated with your State school for the blind? They have access to such devices that can be used on a trial basis to determine if it would be be a good fit and work for them. These schools are very helpful learning skills that will be useful for people will visual deficits (free of charge).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness