Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:01 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,385 times

Advertisements

I'm shocked at my recent numbers. Why? I'm physically fit, 5' 9", 138lbs so I'm not overweight, and I eat super healthy--NO red meat. I don't eat fast food or junk food. I am being treated for Hashimoto's (thyroid disease) but I'm not sure there's enough research on how to change the impact the meds (Levoxyl) have on bones and cholesterol. I've always had doctors tell me that the meds can impact my cholesterol but these are my very first high levels ever.

Here's my numbers:

Total: 152
Triglycerides: 220 (0 - 149) ** high
HDL: 73 (> 39)
LDL: 35 (0 - 99)
VLDL: 44 (5 - 40) ** high

I'm shocked as heck about my triglyceride level and I'm looking up what the heck VLDL is as I've never heard of this before.

My weaknesses are cookies--I make homemade ones with butter about 3 to 4x a week. No more. I drink red wine maybe 1 to 2 x a week only.

I started using coconut oil in my body creme for dry skin. Could my body be absorbing so much that it impacted my trig. level? I also occasionally would eat a teaspoon of the oil, again, for dry skin. I know it's a palm oil, but it's not heat processed and is supposed to aid in dry skin as well as be heart healthy. That idea seems to be out the window now.

Any ideas here about my levels and how to lower them?? Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 06:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
You're eating saturated and trans-fats, and simple carbohydrates (starch, as in - cookie dough laden with sugar and butter) which is what blasts cholesterol way up.

Cut out, or eliminate completely if you have to, butter, margarine. Rubbing coconut oil on your skin isn't going to give you a triglyceride problem. Reduce your intake of bread, white potatoes, corn, and other starchy foods.

Eat more beans and nuts, and for the love of all that's good in the world, stop drinking palm oil and invest in a better moisturizer and drink more water, if you're really that concerned with the moisture of your skin.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:22 PM

Default follow up

Women use estrogen cremes on the skin for absorption, so there is a possibility of the creme causing the spike.

I eat walnuts daily as well as whole grains and greens. No meat, rarely chicken, no margarine, no soda, juice or bread, corn or starchy junk.

Not all palm oils are bad, btw. Look it up.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:35 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,726 times
Hypothyroidism can cause your triglyceride levels to be high. Have you tried fish oil capsules?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:36 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I'm shocked at my recent numbers. Why? I'm physically fit, 5' 9", 138lbs so I'm not overweight, and I eat super healthy--NO red meat. I don't eat fast food or junk food. I am being treated for Hashimoto's (thyroid disease) but I'm not sure there's enough research on how to change the impact the meds (Levoxyl) have on bones and cholesterol. I've always had doctors tell me that the meds can impact my cholesterol but these are my very first high levels ever.

Here's my numbers:

Total: 152
Triglycerides: 220 (0 - 149) ** high
HDL: 73 (> 39)
LDL: 35 (0 - 99)
VLDL: 44 (5 - 40) ** high

I'm shocked as heck about my triglyceride level and I'm looking up what the heck VLDL is as I've never heard of this before.

My weaknesses are cookies--I make homemade ones with butter about 3 to 4x a week. No more. I drink red wine maybe 1 to 2 x a week only.

I started using coconut oil in my body creme for dry skin. Could my body be absorbing so much that it impacted my trig. level? I also occasionally would eat a teaspoon of the oil, again, for dry skin. I know it's a palm oil, but it's not heat processed and is supposed to aid in dry skin as well as be heart healthy. That idea seems to be out the window now.

Any ideas here about my levels and how to lower them?? Thanks for any input.
How long did you fast before the test? It should have been at least 8 hours and preferably 12.

Are your thyroid test results normal? If so, that is not causing the lipid problem.

Was your blood sugar normal?

Are you taking any medications besides the thyroid med?

Is your blood pressure normal?

Do you have a family history of cardiovascular disease?

I assume you do not smoke.

Any oil on the skin is not going to raise your trigyceride level.

If you do not smoke, your thyroid is normal, you are not on any medications that can raise triglycerides, and the test was done fasting, lowering carbohydrate (bye, bye cookies!) is the first step.

How Foods Affect Triglycerides

And ask your doctor about fish oil.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:37 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
I don't think conventional nutritionists support any kind of palm oil, as it's saturated fat. I doubt the coconut oil is getting absorbed through your skin, or they'd be telling us to rub down with olive oil. Being hypothyroid can cause high cholesterol, while being hyperthyroid can lower your cholesterol, so I doubt levoxyl is a problem.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:47 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Excess carbs in the diet can and are converted to triglycerides.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:09 AM

Default Good Questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How long did you fast before the test? It should have been at least 8 hours and preferably 12.

Are your thyroid test results normal? My TSH is in the hyperthyroid level. If so, that is not causing the lipid problem.

Was your blood sugar normal? yes

Are you taking any medications besides the thyroid med? Only 'Vitamins: C, D, Evening Primrose Oil, Krill Oil.

Is your blood pressure normal? Yes!

Do you have a family history of cardiovascular disease? Yes, but they were heavy meat eaters and drinker.

I assume you do not smoke. NO!

Any oil on the skin is not going to raise your trigyceride level. I wonder?

If you do not smoke, your thyroid is normal, you are not on any medications that can raise triglycerides, and the test was done fasting, lowering carbohydrate (bye, bye cookies!) is the first step. The blood test was NOT a fasting blood test.

How Foods Affect Triglycerides Thanks for the link!

And ask your doctor about fish oil.
I'm taking Krill Oil

Old 01-20-2012, 05:34 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I'm taking Krill Oil
The first step is to repeat the test while fasting --- nothing to eat or drink for 12 hours before the test.

I have a sneaking suspcion it will be normal.

And you need to get the thyroid under control.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
I take Red Yeast Rice and Niacin to lower mine after I got off the statins. Seems to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness