Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 07:19 AM

538 posts, read 385,510 times

Advertisements

I had a discussion yesterday where everyone told me the only thing that keeps you healthy is your diet. Walking 2 to 3 miles a day, bike riding, elliptical (and I do one or 2 of these every day). Will do nothing to keep you healthy. While I agree diet is 80% of the battle for weight loss, exercise helps your organs, circulation etc....but 5 people disagreed with me. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 07:23 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I had a discussion yesterday where everyone told me the only thing that keeps you healthy is your diet. Walking 2 to 3 miles a day, bike riding, elliptical (and I do one or 2 of these every day). Will do nothing to keep you healthy. While I agree diet is 80% of the battle for weight loss, exercise helps your organs, circulation etc....but 5 people disagreed with me. Your thoughts?
Not enough context.

You seem to indicate that diet is important for weight loss, while exercise is important for fitness. Both are important for everyone.

I have a difficult time believing that 5 people in a discussion agreed that diet alone was important to overall health and exercise was completely unimportant.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:34 AM

538 posts, read 385,510 times
Well they are all people they don’t exercise so maybe that’s why.
I think it’s 80% diet and 20% exercise for weight loss. I do know someone who improved there kidney function from walking on a treadmill everyday though and wasn’t particularly eating well. But I guess each person is different.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:17 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
what keeps me healthy is diet AND exercise. they go hand in hand.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:08 AM

810 posts, read 870,015 times
Exercise is one of the most important things for heart and lungs. That's why they start patients on Cardiac Rehab (exercise) after heart surgery.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:17 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Health is assisted by diet and exercise.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-04-2018, 11:55 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
I believe that pushing away from table with ARMS is the start and exercise to one's ability. I was the exercise queen all my life and now I deal with advanced damaged joints aka advanced arthritis. I'm 80 and stretch a lot and thank goodness my joints can stretch good. And what we put on our plates is important.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:29 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Gold path is always in the middle.
You balance both.

Amount of energy spent should be more than energy consumed. It's baseline. No, you will not run out of energy, as there are 3 sources of it and you know only one. Food.

That said, heart is just as much a muscle as any other.

Lungs require good core strength and large chest along with good posture or, you will restrict lung capacity in your best efforts.

If you want to build up chest/lungs volume, this will be you best friend, just with a twick. You want to lay much higher up on the bench, with its edge being roughly at the lower shoulder blade margin. Then you SLOWLY lower weight, as far as you cna possibly reach, while continuously inhaling. Keep legs bent at the knees and wide apart for balance. It takes a few times to get the jist of it, if you pay attention to what you do and align inhale with downward arm movement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk_T0Qz_XKg

But what you will notice right away, after even only 5-8 of repetitions, is that when you stand up, your tummy sucked itself in and chest is literally barreling up and out.

As far as you overcome the initial fear and discomfort with it.

As of diet vs exercise. Forgot who the runner was... he was one of the world best marathoners. When he died, they found that his arteries were plugged with plaque yet, because he had very powerful developed heart, pumping blood in, his arterial vessels were stretched to still allow fully functional blood passage.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:18 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Guess you know 5 seriously-deluded people.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:25 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
you asked for my thoughts....

most women would be happy to weigh 300 pounds if they looked like a super-model.
so it's NOT about actual weight.
most men would be happy to weigh 300 pounds if they were making NFL money.
not about weight.

diet is about looking good.
exercise is about feeling good.
why not try for both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness