U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 06:45 AM

9,184 posts, read 3,991,397 times

Advertisements

My GI doctor prescribed some medicine for my ulcer which made me very nauseated. Unfortunately I got a 3 month supply because I figured how sick could a stomach medicine make me. I have 3 huge bottles of this stuff called Sucralfate. In the past I have had doctors prescribe meds that I wasn't able to tolerate. It seems such a waste to just throw them away when they could be donated to someone who can't afford their medication.

I know the logical reasons but we are just such a wasteful country sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 07:39 AM

10,762 posts, read 19,153,370 times
IF some of the bottles are completely unopened (still sealed, etc.) - you might ask your Dr. - if they can't be proven to not be unopened - too risky for anyone to accept.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:02 AM

12,496 posts, read 14,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My GI doctor prescribed some medicine for my ulcer which made me very nauseated. Unfortunately I got a 3 month supply because I figured how sick could a stomach medicine make me. I have 3 huge bottles of this stuff called Sucralfate. In the past I have had doctors prescribe meds that I wasn't able to tolerate. It seems such a waste to just throw them away when they could be donated to someone who can't afford their medication.

yes...very wasteful.

I too have some medicines that I found were not agreeable to me...this after I had a large prescription filled.
I asked the Doc if I could give them to him, so he could give them to a patient who can't afford the medicine, (or even give a few to see if the patient can tolerate them) but he said NO, they would be destroyed. Even unopened prescriptions are destroyed...the drugstore you got them from will do that for you if you so desire.
I've kept them....could prove handy one day.

I did learn that when getting a new prescription for anything, ask the Doc for a tiny amount...maybe 6...and then if they're agreeable to you, you can go back for a large prescription.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:14 PM

19,657 posts, read 53,709,018 times
I take a chance and give them to friends on a lower income who can use them. Since it is illegal, I take them out of the bottle and label a baggie (ex 25 mg sertraline). They are happy.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:52 PM

1,786 posts, read 725,641 times
is there a free clinic in your area?

Old 11-13-2018, 07:27 PM

645 posts, read 1,020,015 times
This medication is also used for dogs and cats. An animal shelter or rescue group might be interested - obviously one that works under the guidance of a vet to make sure the dosage and formulation are correct.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:49 PM

2,387 posts, read 6,104,676 times
Walgreens I have seen advertised as a place to get rid of drugs.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:32 PM

7,223 posts, read 2,260,432 times
Quote:

Recycling medications is illegal. There's too much risk of their having been contaminated or even replaced by bogus medications, in what look like identical capsules or packaging.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:01 PM

9,368 posts, read 7,378,217 times
Quote:

Just remember YOU created the waste by getting more medication than you needed.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:15 PM

11,738 posts, read 5,554,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
This medication is also used for dogs and cats. An animal shelter or rescue group might be interested - obviously one that works under the guidance of a vet to make sure the dosage and formulation are correct.
I keep everything in case a pet or a friend or fam can use it. Vets charge a lot more than a pharmacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness