U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 06:16 AM

9,840 posts, read 20,717,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks.

Also, some nights I am able to fall asleep but only for a short time as I keep having nightmares whenever I fall asleep, and keep waking up on those nights.
My go to was melatonin and an OTC called midnite for when I woke up. You can try midnite to fall asleep too. If the midnite doesn't work you may need a prescription sleeping pill. Ambien doesn't work for us and isn't covered by my insurance. I take generic Lunesta which knocks me out. I'm able to get 8 hours of sleep and for the rare nights I wake up I still take midnite.

There are times when I run out of generic lunesta, I will take either tylenol PM or generic unisom soft gels work ok. Since they're soft gels they dissolve faster. I do find that I need 2to 3 hours for OTC's to knock me out verses generic lunesta working within 30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 05:03 PM

441 posts, read 905,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggar View Post
You would want to avoid this, if at all possible. heavy prescriptions drugs are hardly the answer for most, a lifestyle change (exercise, diet, habits) can often be just as effective or better.

Not to mention the heavy dependence that can results from such drugs.
blah, blah, blah. I have been taking Ambien/Zolpidem for 26 years with no problems. My primary care physician asked me if I was going to ever stop and I said no. She was fine with that.

Do what works. Ambien works for me. The reason I take Ambien is too long and TMI to post here.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:43 PM

21,137 posts, read 7,123,847 times
Memory issues? When I see this one with the drugs I run.

https://americanaddictioncenters.org...t/side-effects

Old 02-09-2019, 11:03 AM

200 posts, read 95,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
D3 and magnesium could help.

Do you have a smart watch or Beddit that measures your sleep?
Agreed! Start with magnesium daily (not oxide), and introduce vitamin D3 and take both daily in the morning. As your vitamin D levels increase you should see an improvement. I've been sleeping a lot better with this combination.

Old Today, 04:56 PM

1 posts
Default Insomnia relief TCDS

I don't value feedback from people who have not lived through chronic insomnia. Their answers are typically overly simplistic. I have lived with intervals of 5 hours of sleep for years to the point of tears. My memory is awful. Every decision is judged by how much energy it will require.
I used 100mg Trazodone with 10 mg Zolpidem. Worked for maybe a year. Since retiring, I am cutting out Zolpidem. Like most people, I worry about the damaging physical effects these drugs can have. However, I also know, from years of experience, that the brain fog from lack of sleep is far worse than the brain fog from drug induced sleep. Before Traz&Zolp, I relied on allergy medicine, tylenol, cough medicine, vitamins. BTW I discovered 1 - 2 mg melatonin does not cause the awful nightmares triggered by 5mg of melatonin. I watch my sugar, diet, & do my best to exercise. They are not the solution.
Last year, after months of 4 hours of sleep, I tried transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS). It was the major factor in snapping my brain out of that god awful,sleep deprived pattern. I know it is an iffy method but I was desperate & it worked. I do not use it often, maybe a couple of weeks, 2x year, because the research has some frightening implications but research on lack of sleep is equally terrifying.

[url]https://www.forbes.com/sites/jessicabaron/2018/11/16/at-home-brain-stimulation/#1da19da94413[/url]

Best of luck dealing with this awful burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or