U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

361 posts, read 246,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Prescription Ambien (zolpidem). There's a reason 30 million prescriptions for it (2017) have been written.
You would want to avoid this, if at all possible. heavy prescriptions drugs are hardly the answer for most, a lifestyle change (exercise, diet, habits) can often be just as effective or better.

Not to mention the heavy dependence that can results from such drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

3,085 posts, read 1,003,546 times
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I can take some of the suggestions. This one caught my attention though as I cannot do this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Get up every morning and go outside and get morning sunshine. It will help your body create it's own melatonin and get your circadian rhythm back on track.
I work at 6 in the morning and the sun is not up yet and I work in a building with no windows, so I can't get morning sun.

As for diet, I don't think I eat more sugar than the average person and try avoid sweets accept for on weekends, when me and my gf go out for ice cream about once a week. I hardly consume any caffeine and do not drink coffee or soda hardly ever. Alcohol maybe twice a week if that is okay.

Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM

4,871 posts, read 5,947,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggar View Post
You would want to avoid this, if at all possible. heavy prescriptions drugs are hardly the answer for most, a lifestyle change (exercise, diet, habits) can often be just as effective or better.

Not to mention the heavy dependence that can results from such drugs.
If one has exhausted all efforts to sleep there is nothing wrong with getting a little help with Ambien. Ambien saved me from practically losing my mind from insomnia. I had tried everything, trust me. I ate right and was exercising. I also tried meditation, yoga, and anything else I could think of. I went for 3 months without getting more than a few hours of sleep a night. And when I say a few I mean if I slept 4 hours that was a good night.
I had no ill effects from Ambien, and I did not become dependent on it either.
If you have never had sustained insomnia you may want to be a bit more openminded.

Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM

Okay thanks. A few medical remedies were recommended but are they perscription and I would have to see a doctor for some of these?

What do you mean by sustained insomnia?

Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If one has exhausted all efforts to sleep there is nothing wrong with getting a little help with Ambien. Ambien saved me from practically losing my mind from insomnia. I had tried everything, trust me. I ate right and was exercising. I also tried meditation, yoga, and anything else I could think of. I went for 3 months without getting more than a few hours of sleep a night. And when I say a few I mean if I slept 4 hours that was a good night.
I had no ill effects from Ambien, and I did not become dependent on it either.
If you have never had sustained insomnia you may want to be a bit more openminded.
I already spoke on my previous insomnia, in the post before my last.

Ive been through hell, about 4 solid months. Even 5 days with no sleep at the worst. On the 5th day I said "huh this isnt that bad at all. no problem, whatever happens happens" and I slept like a rock that night.

I dont blame anyone who takes the hard drug route, but I would certainly advise most to do the best they can to avoid it.

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

So you are saying to choose to be content with the insomnia and I will feel better then?

Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
So you are saying to choose to be content with the insomnia and I will feel better then?
I think it could help for sure, for me, it was an anxiety disorder that kept me up so not caring about sleep was detrimental in my getting to sleep. I had good luck with melatonin though, and generic benadryl helped in some cases as well.

The problem with going to the doctor is that many just push pills on you without addressing the underlying issue.

You dont need to be on Ambien if you can help it, but I certainly dont blame you if you do choose that route.

Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

18,312 posts, read 3,705,491 times
There are OTC sleep aids such as Tylenol PM....have you tried those??

Or visit your MD, see if you can pinpoint the reason for sleeplessness. You could ask for a temporary prescription to see if it would help...

Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM

693 posts, read 2,669,833 times
If you havent had a sleep study in a sleep lab, that might help rule out any kind of apneas. If youre unintentionally masking apneas with drugs and sleep aids it will make you feel worse.

So as another poater said, this should be your first step if you have a chronic problem

Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM
Status: "A delicate snowflake with the vote of a wolverine." (set 10 days ago)

13,302 posts, read 7,495,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
At this point, I'd see a doctor and ask for a sleep study to try to get to the bottom of your issues.
I agree. There are many causes of insomnia, with many different remedies based on whatever the cause is. Strangers on a forum can't advise you properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or