U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

158 posts, read 55,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Prescription Ambien (zolpidem). There's a reason 30 million prescriptions for it (2017) have been written.
LOL. Ye$ we know why 30 million Ambien $cripts are written each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

158 posts, read 55,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks I will try the vitamins.

Last night I tried the tylenol and I made time to exercise a lot more. I actually felt much more tired after that and ready to hit the bed, after my shower. I thought this might actually work, I feel much more tired than I already am.

However, all it did was make me feel more tired, and I still couldn't actually fall asleep. That's the problem with every suggestion I have tried so far, is that they make me more tired, but they don't actually make me unconscious. I need to slip into actual unconsciousness, and so far everything is just making me tired only.
When I go through periods of insomnia I do 5 mg of edibles.

It helps me fall asleep, stay asleep and the "hangover" is not bad.

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

15,347 posts, read 15,347,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
A few years ago I had insomnia and no matter what I did I could not get a good nights sleep. My doctor prescribed a very low dose of Zolpidem and I was finally able to sleep. I only needed them for a few weeks and my insomnia went away. Every now and again - months - I may take a half of one if I am struggling to stay asleep.

See, this is an example of a prescription-medication being needed and very helpful.

You cannot sleep, and it goes on continuously for a quite a while, seek help.

Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

4,349 posts, read 2,283,506 times
Tried everything in the book, most made me feel like a box of rocks in the AM. Found what works for me is 150Mg of Trazodone and 5Mg of an Indica strain cannabis edible (half a Gummy Bear, so to speak).

YMMV. Hope this helps because I understand very well what you're going through.

Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM

5,127 posts, read 9,454,448 times
Were it me, I'd get blood work done.

Often, chronic insomnia can be due to a shortage (or too much) of one of the essential minerals (magnesium, calcium, potassium, sodium, etc.) or too much cortisol, or too much or too little thyroid...or too little Vitamin D. Or low vitamin B's..or...the parameters are endless...

Trying to self-prescribe, without knowing your blood work's make-up, is a crap shoot at best...

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

19,111 posts, read 6,313,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Were it me, I'd get blood work done.

Often, chronic insomnia can be due to a shortage (or too much) of one of the essential minerals (magnesium, calcium, potassium, sodium, etc.) or too much cortisol, or too much or too little thyroid...or too little Vitamin D. Or low vitamin B's..or...the parameters are endless...

Trying to self-prescribe, without knowing your blood work's make-up, is a crap shoot at best...
Good advice, and for my sleep issues which came on after menopause and when the so called Fibro hit me, I just kept trying different sleep remedies that an MD would not even look at. I have the above in check and take supps to keep them up. There are so many sleep supports to try and work with, alone or a combo.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM

13,553 posts, read 7,251,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
If you havent had a sleep study in a sleep lab, that might help rule out any kind of apneas. If youre unintentionally masking apneas with drugs and sleep aids it will make you feel worse.

So as another poater said, this should be your first step if you have a chronic problem
If you mean the first step is a primary care physician, yes - I don't know that you can just walk into a sleep clinic for a sleep study and have insurance pay for that. There are many reasons for insomnia that aren't related to sleep apnea, gerd, etc.

Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM

3,087 posts, read 1,006,067 times
I thought it was stress related as it all started about almost a year ago, when I started a new job which I hate a lot. I mean it could be something else, but the fact that it started right after I started the job, I felt the timing was no coincidence.

Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

14,098 posts, read 13,685,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I posted about this before on here, but I cannot find the old thread at all, as it's been a while

The problem with the melatonin is that is just makes me really tired, where as I need to actually go into unconsciousness, not just be tired.

Is there anything else out there that can help?
Here are your threads: Having trouble sleeping, is it worth laying in bed awake?

How can I deal with insomnia in this case?

I would see a doctor. No amount of exercise is going to help one sleep if he or she is deeply upset. Melatonin is for mild or temporary sleep problems, and doesn't work for many people. Good luck.

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM

5,874 posts, read 8,491,705 times
Could you be depressed? Insomnia is a hallmark of true depression and you might need an antidepressant to get through this period in your life. BTW. You also should be thinking about your job, how to change it, how to leave it, or whatever to give you peace of mind. Possible that meds won't help, unless your work situation is addressed. Definitely see your doctor for a "chat".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or