U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 10:41 PM

307 posts, read 45,029 times

Advertisements

Benzodiazepines. A small amount in a small dose, which is all any doctor will prescribe now, anyway. I’m talking Ativan (generic name lorazepam) or Xanax (generic name alprazolam), preferably the former, as it absorbs slower and lasts longer. You need to break the cycle of sleeplessness. My issue with Ambien is that it has been known to cause sleep amnesia...people doing things while they are asleep, though they appear to be awake, and that can be dangerous. That is what happened to me, and someone I knew (they actually got into their car and drove down a country road in the middle of the night...went into a ditch and knocked down a mailbox. It could have been so much worse). Ambien might work for others...not for me.

I don’t know your gender or age, but if you’re female, your hormones or lack of, can really raise havoc with sleeping, especially before, during and after menopause.

Regarding edibles...they did not make me sleepy, just paranoid. Maybe others have better luck with that.

After you get some sleep, use melatonin again. I buy mine at Walmart, Spring Valley brand, 5 mg. BTW, one of my doctors uses melatonin, so it must not be harmful, as some suggest. I also take 50 mg. (2 capsules) of the antihistamine diphenhydramine, aka Benadryl. I have allergies, anyway, so I take it at night because it does make me drowsy. And I’ll sometimes add a glass of wine to the mix.

Finally, I put in earbuds and listen to a white noise mix on You Tube. There are many different channels and sounds to choose from. The one that works for me is 10 hours of continuous rainfall.

I hope this helps. I had very bad insomnia, I won’t even discuss how bad it was. DM me if you want more info. I’m not a medical professional, just a fellow insomniac who understands how bad it can get.

If anyone wants to criticize my methods, I won’t be reading it. I just want to help this poster, if I can.

Last edited by happygrrrl; 11-16-2018 at 11:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 03:06 PM

27,079 posts, read 38,335,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Benzodiazepines. A small amount in a small dose, which is all any doctor will prescribe now, anyway. I’m talking Ativan (generic name lorazepam) or Xanax (generic name alprazolam), preferably the former, as it absorbs slower and lasts longer. You need to break the cycle of sleeplessness. My issue with Ambien is that it has been known to cause sleep amnesia...people doing things while they are asleep, though they appear to be awake, and that can be dangerous. That is what happened to me, and someone I knew (they actually got into their car and drove down a country road in the middle of the night...went into a ditch and knocked down a mailbox. It could have been so much worse). Ambien might work for others...not for me.

I don’t know your gender or age, but if you’re female, your hormones or lack of, can really raise havoc with sleeping, especially before, during and after menopause.

Regarding edibles...they did not make me sleepy, just paranoid. Maybe others have better luck with that.

After you get some sleep, use melatonin again. I buy mine at Walmart, Spring Valley brand, 5 mg. BTW, one of my doctors uses melatonin, so it must not be harmful, as some suggest. I also take 50 mg. (2 capsules) of the antihistamine diphenhydramine, aka Benadryl. I have allergies, anyway, so I take it at night because it does make me drowsy. And I’ll sometimes add a glass of wine to the mix.

Finally, I put in earbuds and listen to a white noise mix on You Tube. There are many different channels and sounds to choose from. The one that works for me is 10 hours of continuous rainfall.

I hope this helps. I had very bad insomnia, I won’t even discuss how bad it was. DM me if you want more info. I’m not a medical professional, just a fellow insomniac who understands how bad it can get.

If anyone wants to criticize my methods, I won’t be reading it. I just want to help this poster, if I can.
Wrong edible. High THC will do that. High CBD is the one you want. And quantity. It's too easy to eat too much edible because of the lag in the effect. Take a bite. Wait 10 minutes. Hmmm. Nothing. Take another bite. Wait another 10 minutes. Nothing. Take another bite. Wait 10 minutes. Yikes!

I don't use edibles. The intake is too hard to judge. And note that she was a first time user. When I'm with people who have never used pot I walk them through it and make sure they are patient. Even when smoking. Give it time. Don't rush it.

Excuse the language. I have no means of deleting or bleeping over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSCIB1cZH4

Old 11-17-2018, 04:12 PM

3,142 posts, read 1,019,002 times
Well I was able to finally after months able to get a good night sleep all the way into the afternoon last night. I drank about three glasses of wine while watching movies with my gf and that helped a lot. I have tried that before a couple of times and that works, too but I don't want to do that every night just so I can fall asleep of course. It still took me a while to fall asleep though and i could tell my body and brain were struggling to get there, but once I got there it was good. Still that struggle though.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:22 PM

522 posts, read 185,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well I was able to finally after months able to get a good night sleep all the way into the afternoon last night. I drank about three glasses of wine while watching movies with my gf and that helped a lot. I have tried that before a couple of times and that works, too but I don't want to do that every night just so I can fall asleep of course. It still took me a while to fall asleep though and i could tell my body and brain were struggling to get there, but once I got there it was good. Still that struggle though.
Do you have a problem sleeping because you cannot turn of your brain? It is a huge problem for me when I wake up in the night. I recite rhythmic songs, poems, etc in my head over and over and it helps. I also try to envision soothing scenes - lying on the beach with my pet lion (Atticus) listening to the surf and counting the stars. I try not to worry about being awake and I never look at the clock. I am getting better at calming my thoughts. My brain always wants to be awake!

Good luck to you. I would try limiting your wine to one or two - too much may cause your sleep to be restless.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:33 PM

1,627 posts, read 378,336 times
Didnt want to read all the posts. Are you female by any chance and may I ask how old you are?

Old 11-17-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Do you have a problem sleeping because you cannot turn of your brain? It is a huge problem for me when I wake up in the night. I recite rhythmic songs, poems, etc in my head over and over and it helps. I also try to envision soothing scenes - lying on the beach with my pet lion (Atticus) listening to the surf and counting the stars. I try not to worry about being awake and I never look at the clock. I am getting better at calming my thoughts. My brain always wants to be awake!

Good luck to you. I would try limiting your wine to one or two - too much may cause your sleep to be restless.
An old trick for me when my brain would not shut down. As you know you need something to concentrate on to occupy it.

Hold your tongue in the center of your mouth. Do not let it touch the top, bottom or sides.

I used it for years when I worked in a terrible place.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:43 PM

522 posts, read 185,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
An old trick for me when my brain would not shut down. As you know you need something to concentrate on to occupy it.

Hold your tongue in the center of your mouth. Do not let it touch the top, bottom or sides.

I used it for years when I worked in a terrible place.
Interesting. Thanks! I will have to try it.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:44 PM

13,048 posts, read 12,559,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Wrong edible. High THC will do that. High CBD is the one you want. And quantity. It's too easy to eat too much edible because of the lag in the effect. Take a bite. Wait 10 minutes. Hmmm. Nothing. Take another bite. Wait another 10 minutes. Nothing. Take another bite. Wait 10 minutes. Yikes!

I don't use edibles. The intake is too hard to judge. And note that she was a first time user. When I'm with people who have never used pot I walk them through it and make sure they are patient. Even when smoking. Give it time. Don't rush it.

Excuse the language. I have no means of deleting or bleeping over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSCIB1cZH4
Yes, 100% CBD oil will help with sleep. I bought it to help cope with sinus headaches, but now I'm using it to just help me get to sleep. Doesn't do crap for pain ime.

OP, I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but I have dealt with insomnia quite a bit. Here's what has helped me:

-A big one is the Sleep With Me podcast. The guy who does it drones in a very soothing voice about nonsense topics that are guaranteed not to trigger you. I usually don't make it through the intro before I'm conked out.

-Hot bath or shower before bed.

-Lavender essential oils sprayed on the sheets and pillow.

-Meditation. The military has a "sleep system" that is essentially what I've been doing for years: https://www.maxim.com/news/fall-alse...-method-2018-9

-Yoga. I found this process to be very relaxing:
https://www.today.com/health/hilaria...hts-1D80156452

-No caffeine after lunch.

-Punctuate your day. Write down all the stuff on your mind before you go to bed. Whatever thoughts might keep you up, get them written out. It can help.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:49 PM

I watch recorded poker. Zonk!

Old 11-17-2018, 10:08 PM

2,322 posts, read 4,437,182 times
I suffered from vicious insomnia for years. I refuse to take prescription sleep aids and none of my doctors will prescribe them, anyway. I tried everything, and I mean everything. I got to the point where I laughed at articles that suggested things I had already been doing like setting a regular bedtime, exercising regularly, avoiding caffeine and alcohol, not using things like phones or Kindles with screens without blue-light blockers, etc. etc. I don't know why people think any of those things will actually help serious, protracted bouts of insomnia. I hate the smell of lavender. Melatonin gives me terrible nightmares so that was out. Benadryl puts me to sleep but I wake up feeling groggy and sloth-like.

I finally found something that helps me, but it's not legal everywhere in the US yet. CBD edibles; I use the 5 mg mints if I got two or three nights without sleeping well. No psychoactive effects and no morning grogginess. Just pure, blissful sleep. Most of my friends who have had insomnia say they are helped by them, too. I'm sensitive to drugs, so that dose might be too low for some, but it's perfect for me. The THC mints work, also; perhaps even better, but I prefer the CBD without the head effects. To say it's a life-saver is clearly hyperbole, but since 2012 I've been sleeping soundly and my entire mood has improved.

One size does not fit all with insomnia cures. Just tossing out what helped me and what didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or