U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 12:20 AM

1,367 posts, read 790,597 times

Advertisements

I like to light scented candles once a week, occasionally twice a week. I prefer autumn-type scents; pumpkin, cinnamon, apple. A friend told me that candles using wax, like Yankee Candles (which I like) can cause cancer. I've tried soy candles, which she told me did not cause cancer; but the scent is not as strong.

Does anyone know more about paraffin wax candles being carcinogenic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:54 AM

4,367 posts, read 1,642,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I like to light scented candles once a week, occasionally twice a week. I prefer autumn-type scents; pumpkin, cinnamon, apple. A friend told me that candles using wax, like Yankee Candles (which I like) can cause cancer. I've tried soy candles, which she told me did not cause cancer; but the scent is not as strong.

Does anyone know more about paraffin wax candles being carcinogenic?
Your friend is probably regurgitating what she's read about paraffin candles recently. There have been articles about the hazard. I looked quickly for a couple that were actually NOT written by sources trying to sell some alternative.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/candl...ce-and-cancer/

Candles Causing Cancer

Paraffin is a petroleum product. Burning candles also produce soot. Neither are great for lungs in large quantities. I've read that research into this is still ongoing but common sense says to be cautious. If you do nothing but inhale the scented paraffin wax day in and day out over years you could probably connect it to cancer (but you'd also have to have no exposure to all the other daily substances that also contribute to the same problems to be certain). If you burn them in moderation (like so many other things in life) probably won't be able to say one way or another. If you are concerned use beeswax candles. If you like the scents get them another way...a method that does not include burning something. Potpourri or natural scented oil diffusers that don't get hot enough to ignite anything.

Old Today, 12:13 PM

19,124 posts, read 6,321,161 times
I have burned candles so much of my 80 yr life and never gave this a thought. I don't burn them now but may go back to burning one now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or