Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 08:21 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm having trouble understanding your recommendation. What is the strap you mention and how is it used. Is there a video explaining this?

I dunno if there's a video. I haven't really caught up to the 21st Century yet. I still call 'em the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Elbow strap-- basically a tourniquet. You can buy one; usually on the shelf with all the wrist supports and Ace wraps; probably comes with directions.... Find the sore spot at your elbow-- the point of bone on the end of the forearm bone. The tendon connects there. Put the strap an inch or so lower than that bone point. .. It's purpose is to "connect" so to speak the muscle to the bone at a new point, taking the strain off the real connection point.

Flexing the lat (latissimus dorsi)-- sit at the table like you're having a meal. Put your elbow on the table with your hand just in front of your forehead a few inches, elbow close to your chest.... With palm facing your head, and with hand & forearm muscles relaxed, flex you biceps, triceps pec & lat as if you're trying to move your elbow thru the table to your hip...Now do it without the table, actually putting your elbow at or near the rim of the pelvis near your appendix (if we're talking right arm) pressing your upper arm against your ribs...Do it as an isometric, leaning into it with your torso if needed, until you feel the lat about to cramp or until you feel it work on relieving pain at the elbow....Adjust the procedure to your personal body size, shape etc

Repeat it often enough to get the muscle memory working right again. You have to get the lat to remember it's suppose to be tighter and the flexor of the wrist to remember it should be looser.

Tennis elbow is technically lateral epicondylitis (outer elbow). I used to get medial epicondylitis from spending too much time in the batting cage--- hands would slow down with fatigue and I'd make contact with the pitch when elbow was out in front of hands, straining that inside tendon point. (Is that your problem with golf?) Same "lat maneuver" would cure it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 08:51 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,025 times
Tennis elbow is thankfully one of the easiest injuries to heal, and to avoid. I started to get it really bad after stepping up a level in tennis, so I adjusted my strings and tension and it went away. When I had it bad, I would do the stretches on youtube and it went away. No doctor visits necessary.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:10 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

See, the giveaway is when folks say so strongly that something works...yet they go on to give 4 OTHER remedies - pretty much saying it doesn't work and then gumming it all up with maybe one that possibly works or more than likely, just let enough time pass by trying all this stuff and the problem will resolve itself. And resolving itself is an okay solution - but don't twist it to think the other stuff did anything to help.

gosh … you've just described what happens for so many people on conventional medicine therapies …

they get started on one drug/therapy to deal with a condition, then they need more/stronger/other products to deal with managing the condition, then the next thing you know … well documented ….

they're on multiple meds every day, and other therapies in conjunction with the meds. As you say: "pretty much saying it doesn't work and then gumming it all up with maybe one that possibly works …"

PS: wanna' check into how many people DIE each year from being cross-medicated? or suffer serious complications from conventional meds side effects? or undergo needless/ineffective surgical procedures? how 'bout those cortisone shots that so many Dr's use as their first treatment for folk with "tennis elbow"? instant gratification for a very short-term effect with long term adverse effects …. and so forth.

Last edited by sunsprit; 11-19-2018 at 09:20 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 10:59 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Sunsprit: I'm off to get me some 200C Arnica and see if I get relief, surely affordable enough. I use other homeopathics with success so I'm going to try the higher dose you mention. A stroke of luck, my gf shops Rainbow Acres Health Food store and she's picking it up for me tomorrow and I'll get it from her on Thursday. R.A. says that's the only strength they carry as it's most popular. Interesting....

I take hefty doses of magnesium and have used the oil over the years but not lately, use more DMSO in recent years for joints.

I'd love to report back that the 200C gave me some pain relief.

And the term tennis elbow can refer to any elbow issues, that can tax the elbow.

Thanks.

PS: On the annual death rate from drug interactions, I've read so many different numbers of 100,000's...who knows for sure. What is for sure?

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-19-2018 at 12:04 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 12:28 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
The bursa sac getting inflamed on the tip of your elbow can be painful also. I had mine blow up to the size of a 1/2 golf ball, then the orthopedic dr. drained it with a needle. Looked painful but it felt awesome later in the day!

I only mention it because some people think this is "tennis elbow"......but it isn't.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:01 PM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
The bursa sac getting inflamed on the tip of your elbow can be painful also......

But that's easy to prevent---> just keep switching which elbow you lean on the bar with.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:54 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
gosh … you've just described what happens for so many people on conventional medicine therapies …

they get started on one drug/therapy to deal with a condition, then they need more/stronger/other products to deal with managing the condition, then the next thing you know … well documented ….

they're on multiple meds every day, and other therapies in conjunction with the meds. As you say: "pretty much saying it doesn't work and then gumming it all up with maybe one that possibly works …"

PS: wanna' check into how many people DIE each year from being cross-medicated? or suffer serious complications from conventional meds side effects? or undergo needless/ineffective surgical procedures? how 'bout those cortisone shots that so many Dr's use as their first treatment for folk with "tennis elbow"? instant gratification for a very short-term effect with long term adverse effects …. and so forth.
What are we talking about here? Using multiple methods at the same time for a single condition without adequate trials to determine what exactly is working? Or are you talking about people using multiple treatments because they have multiple different conditions and the risk of cross medication?

Because you can be cross medicated with supps too. And I have no issue with "watchful waiting" to see if a condition resolves (within reason) especially when it is known a particular condition frequently DOES resolve on its own. I agree with using conservative measures first....so what exactly is your concern?

Allopathic medicine has issues....and many, if not all, are shared by "natural" medicine so ya better keep your eyes open. I prefer to use methods with at least a modicum of evidence behind them.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:04 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

Allopathic medicine has issues....and many, if not all, are shared by "natural" medicine so ya better keep your eyes open. I prefer to use methods with at least a modicum of evidence behind them.
Absolutely, I agree 100%.

That's how I found out about homeopathic solutions to a number of problems, by consulting with ND's.

Several of them worked in a clinic shared with MD's so that they had access across many spectrums of the medical arts for diagnosis and treatments. My favorite ND at the time was providing a lot of care to the US Olympic Team members training in Boulder and Colorado Springs, CO. There were a lot of athletes relying upon his treatments for muscle injuries and pain conditions rather than using allopathic treatments.

The proof, for me, was in following the professional advice from that clinic. I found out for myself the homeopathic formulations that worked for me.

Not only for muscle and joint pain issues, but for seasonal sinus/hayfever allergy problems for which I used to get prescriptions that had serious side effects. The proof for me was that most of those prescription drugs had warning notices on them … and sure enough … I did get drowsy to the point that I wouldn't fly or drive on these drugs. In time, as a few of those drugs were moved to "over the counter" availability, the warnings are still there … and the FAA has them on a restricted list for pilots to this day. You can choose to use one of those drugs, but you cannot legally fly while under their influence.

Years later, I met the lady who would become Mrs Sun. She was a top ranked runner and marathoner for a number of her college years. She, too, had been using homeopathic methods for many years with success. This was in light of her family's 3rd generation pharmacy and her Mom/Dad expecting her to be the next generation to take over the family pharmacy. Working as a pharm assistant ever since she was a young teenager (after years of stocking the greeting card racks and general merchandise of the pharmacy from about 10 years of age), she was quite familiar with the business. What she'd seen there over those years was enough to convince her that she might want to seek out other paths to health. In college, she was treated by a DO with a ND in the clinic group. There she found homeopathic alternatives which worked for her.

I think it all comes down to where you place your trust for your health issues. If you believe and find that homeopathic treatments work for you, so be it. If you believe that they have no place in your health regimen, so be it … don't use them.

Last edited by sunsprit; 11-19-2018 at 09:55 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 10:54 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Sunsprit: I'm off to get me some 200C Arnica and see if I get relief, surely affordable enough. I use other homeopathics with success so I'm going to try the higher dose you mention. A stroke of luck, my gf shops Rainbow Acres Health Food store and she's picking it up for me tomorrow and I'll get it from her on Thursday. R.A. says that's the only strength they carry as it's most popular. Interesting....

I take hefty doses of magnesium and have used the oil over the years but not lately, use more DMSO in recent years for joints.

I'd love to report back that the 200C gave me some pain relief.

And the term tennis elbow can refer to any elbow issues, that can tax the elbow.

Thanks.

PS: On the annual death rate from drug interactions, I've read so many different numbers of 100,000's...who knows for sure. What is for sure?
Absolutely FALSE....

"Tennis Elbow" refers to a very specific diagnosis more properly termed "Lateral epicondylitis"....it does not refer to any other "elbow issue"

Old 11-20-2018, 08:11 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,293 times
A topical product like Arnicare gel with a small percentage of active Arnica is effective for joint and muscle pain. Avoid using it on broken skin.

I wouldn't take Arnica internally because it's a poisonous plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness