Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 04:47 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,143,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Interesting. That pocket EKG device sounds like the best bet for Jill. I googled the Apple Watch-amazing tech but it sounds like the particular app needed isn't available quite yet.

Travelassie, have you considered an ablation for your SVT?
That may be in my future. The SVT had been very well controlled for many years with the metoprolol till maybe a year ago, so I didn't consider ablation an option those years. But it seems the cardiologist I saw many years ago after the first SVT episode that wouldn't stop on its own and landed me in the ER where I got adenosine was right. He was pushing for an ablation then, told me that as I got older, the SVT would become more troublesome, frequent and the medications wouldn't work as well to control it. The details of ablation sounded barbaric and scared the bejibbers out of me back then, and considering how seldom I had episodes, I refused to even consider ablation and opted for control by medication.

The cardiologist I currently see says he doesn't blame me for refusing ablations under the circumstances back then. But especially considering that SVT ablation is pretty much ( or can be) curative, and the hits to the quality of life between the symptoms of the SVT (they're afraid I will pass out, hasn't happened but it's been close) and side effects of the metoprolol, it's time to bite the bullet and reconsider. I have a feeling this will be brought up during my upcoming cardiology visit in a couple weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 08:49 AM

10,555 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That may be in my future. The SVT had been very well controlled for many years with the metoprolol till maybe a year ago, so I didn't consider ablation an option those years. But it seems the cardiologist I saw many years ago after the first SVT episode that wouldn't stop on its own and landed me in the ER where I got adenosine was right. He was pushing for an ablation then, told me that as I got older, the SVT would become more troublesome, frequent and the medications wouldn't work as well to control it. The details of ablation sounded barbaric and scared the bejibbers out of me back then, and considering how seldom I had episodes, I refused to even consider ablation and opted for control by medication.

The cardiologist I currently see says he doesn't blame me for refusing ablations under the circumstances back then. But especially considering that SVT ablation is pretty much ( or can be) curative, and the hits to the quality of life between the symptoms of the SVT (they're afraid I will pass out, hasn't happened but it's been close) and side effects of the metoprolol, it's time to bite the bullet and reconsider. I have a feeling this will be brought up during my upcoming cardiology visit in a couple weeks.
I had it done 20 years ago, after living with the condition for 20 years. It did not require an overnight in the hospital or going completely under.

Apparently the procedure now freezes the extraneous tissue rather than burning it. Anyway, quite successful in my case. Occasionally the pace will go fast for a couple seconds but it never catches into a loop. This was to be expected, according to the doctor I saw. Indeed, a huge improvement in my quality of life.

My history was as you describe-as I got older the SVT began occurring far more frequently. Tried taking daily meds but I hated the side effects so dumped them after a few days and just popped a pill when an attack came up. Eventually that didn't always work either. No doubt metoprolol is more effective though-never heard of it so wasn't an option back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness