U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM

4,711 posts, read 3,073,845 times

Advertisements

In a younger man's clothes, I'd've bemoaned the loss of scallops.

Today, fresh fruit. Not likely to happen, but if some MD would tell me that since fruit contains fructose and could raise triglycerides .... well first I'd call him a quacko and even if I believed him, I'd cry a little, as I chomp my three daily apples, two pears (replaced by peaches and nectarines in summer), an orange, and bunch of grapes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

7,717 posts, read 11,354,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've already been there, there's nothing you can't give up if your body decides it's poison to you.
I'm pretty sure that the OP considered this to be a fun little exercise, not anything to be taken seriously. (Hence his answer of cake with rich frosting.)

For me, the food I would cry the most over would be pizza. It's the one item I could eat 7 days a week for breakfast (cold), lunch & dinner.

Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM

37 posts, read 1,784 times
For me it would be pizza & iced tea.

I enjoy most kinds of pizzas: thin, thick, stuffed, pan, New York, Chicago, rolls, bites, pasta, etc.
If that ban was on all pizza & related foods, then I would be in trouble.

As for iced tea: iced tea, half & half (Lemon Aid/Iced Tea), Sweet Tea, etc.

I did give up eggs for 15 years when it looked like they may have been bothering me. But I introduced them back into my diet sparingly. For that same reason I gave up all soda over 6 years ago. I haven't missed it one bit.

Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

51,803 posts, read 51,006,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I'm pretty sure that the OP considered this to be a fun little exercise, not anything to be taken seriously. (Hence his answer of cake with rich frosting.)

For me, the food I would cry the most over would be pizza. It's the one item I could eat 7 days a week for breakfast (cold), lunch & dinner.
I agree, pizza would be difficult. As it is, I've traded half my life to go to a place where real pizza is almost impossible to find. When I get back to NJ, one of the first meals I get is pizza.

Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

984 posts, read 414,472 times
My doctor doesn't have a clue so she wouldn't be able to tell me to stop eating anything.

But I have decided on my own that I have to give up Hershey's chocolate for the rest of my life. I think the brand could be addictive for me and is likely a way I consume too many calories though I eat pretty good. Other kinds of chocolate don't seem to make me want to eat the entire bag in the way anything Hershey's does.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

9,942 posts, read 4,906,268 times
They never tell me anything, Iím ahead of the curve. Doctors and nutrition. What a laugh.

Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

348 posts, read 63,845 times
Giving up Indian food (all those heavenly curries) would cause me great sorrow. I only manage to have Indian food every couple months, so it's not like I couldn't do it.

Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM

348 posts, read 63,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
In a younger man's clothes, I'd've bemoaned the loss of scallops.

Today, fresh fruit. Not likely to happen, but if some MD would tell me that since fruit contains fructose and could raise triglycerides .... well first I'd call him a quacko and even if I believed him, I'd cry a little, as I chomp my three daily apples, two pears (replaced by peaches and nectarines in summer), an orange, and bunch of grapes.
Scallops are worth bemoaning. As is halibut and lobster. ;-)

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

69,629 posts, read 79,980,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

It is so nice to have a fun topic on such a special day. For me, I took it just the way you did and I needed a good feeling post, as one of our best friends went to the other world late yesterday.

Have to admit I would miss pizza but could live without it.

Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM

10,891 posts, read 19,076,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same here. My a1c was one point away from diabetic and my cholesterol was over 200 for the first time in my life. My endocrinologist said he should be putting me on meds for both. I said "give me six months till my next appointment. I can do this with diet and exercise."

I knew it was happening because I ate ice cream just about every day. It was sad and depressing but I stopped eating ice cream. It was May, and summer was coming, and I stopped eating ice cream, do you hear? I went THE ENTIRE SUMMER with no ice cream, right down to Labor Day weekend when I went to my favorite little family-owned, homemade ice cream shop that was only a mile away and got one cup of it. Chocolate almond.

I did it, though. Lost 24 pounds in that six months (wasn't JUST ice cream, added in more salads and an exercise program) and brought both the blood sugar and cholesterol down to normal levels.)

I have some occasionally now, but not every day or even every week anymore.
My issue is adult onset food allergies. No more peanut butter, almonds, soy, coconut, pineapple, kiwi, etc. I can eat ice cream if I buy organic cream and make the ice cream myself, but usually I'm too lazy. What I really miss are peanut butter cups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or