U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 05:16 AM

368 posts, read 129,809 times

Advertisements

I've gone without many different foods over the years. I was vegan for 6.5 years and ate absolutely no eggs, fish, meat, dairy, honey, or byproducts of animals (also non food items for the most part). I actually started adding back a few of these...eggs, fish, small amount of dairy, honey...due to some health issues, but still no meat other than the fish.

At several points when I was vegan, I did raw vegan for weeks at a time, so only raw fresh fruits and vegetables, with very small amounts of seeds and an occasional raw soaked and sprouted grain (buckwheat groats mostly).

I've also done trials of gluten free for a few months (even avoiding gluten in yeast extracts, certain vinegars etc) to see if it improved my thyroid disorder but it made no difference. Avoiding soy definitely makes a difference though.

I do wonder how I ever went without plain organic Greek yogurt for so long though lol. I don't eat it daily, but at least 3-4x week and I never tire of it. when I was vegan I tried all kinds of homemade and store bought plant based yogurts...coconut, soy, hemp, almond, cashew...you name it and I hated them all, though raw homemade oatgurt wasn't too bad.

Grains are the hardest for me. I craved them the whole time I did raw vegan. it is so hard for me to imagine permanently avoiding all grains as they are such a part of my diet and have been for years. I can avoid bread and flour, but ALL grains would be tough to do permanently.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:39 AM

539 posts, read 143,122 times
I am still stunned at eating a piece of cake every day......I assume that the the OP is overweight....

Old Today, 06:19 AM

341 posts, read 96,206 times
Mine is an apple with peanut butter. Obviously an actual allergy would change my mind, but barring that I will NEVER give it up. I have one almost every day - it is my own personal slice of heaven!

Old Today, 08:26 AM

51,840 posts, read 51,006,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
I am still stunned at eating a piece of cake every day......I assume that the the OP is overweight....
I wouldn't eat cake every day, but I have a friend who has chocolate chip cookies every day except during Lent, when she gives them up. She is a stick.

Old Today, 08:42 AM

1,820 posts, read 2,417,407 times
I'm trying to think of some food that I'd be upset not to be able to eat any more, but nothing really comes to mind. I guess there's just nothing in particular I wouldn't want to live without.

That said, if I had to stop drinking tea, the caffeine withdrawal would be unpleasant, but that's temporary. And food without salt tastes weird to me, but I guess I could get used to it if I had to. My dad suffered from congestive heart failure, and had been told by his doctor to avoid salty foods, which he did but he really missed them. REALLY missed them.

Old Today, 08:42 AM

69,640 posts, read 79,980,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Larry View Post
When you start to limit or eliminate the unhealthy foods you eat you will discover how much better you can feel, and when you do have some of the bad foods it will be obvious that you are poisoning your body. If all you ever eat is junk food you will never know the difference.
The oil that fried foods are cooked in has cancerous chemicals develop as the oil is reheated over and over.
There are also many nasty chemicals used to extract vegetable oils when they are being manufactured.
I only have deep fried food a couple times each year and since cutting back on red meat and dairy my migraines have stopped. There is a reason why heart disease, diabetes and obesity are so rampant. If you must eat all that crap don't complain when you get cancer, diabetes or whatever. Numerous recent studies prove that red meat consumption is tied to a huge increase in ischemic strokes in the brain.
As someone said about another response, this post was meant more to be a fun one, or that is how most of us took it. And I will add, even though I am a for eating healthy as much as possible, rarely eat processed foods but eating junk foods or fun foods once in awhile isn't going to hurt anyone.

Old Today, 09:49 AM

18,660 posts, read 3,802,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As someone said about another response, this post was meant more to be a fun one, or that is how most of us took it. And I will add, even though I am a for eating healthy as much as possible, rarely eat processed foods but eating junk foods or fun foods once in awhile isn't going to hurt anyone.

Most recently I was told to forego Canola oil...

Old Today, 10:12 AM

3,212 posts, read 9,308,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Salt. Luckily my BP is low.
I second this. I crave salt so much I've gone to the doctor to see if I have any disorders. I can wake up in the middle of the night just craving and thinking about salt. Alas, nothing is wrong with me, just like salt. A lot of salt. On everything. I just ate bread with salt sprinkled on it for breakfast today.

No high blood pressure here though.

Old Today, 12:22 PM

19,287 posts, read 6,380,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Yessirree! I make the most delicious frosting, Buttercream Frosting, and when it says to add a couple of tablespoons of milk to the frosting, I make it more addictive by adding 2 tablespoons of whipping cream instead. It's truly my heroin everyday! Pies just don't cut it for me!

Over the years, how many times have you read of some research study being negated by another research study. At one time drinking coffee was not the best for you, now it's good for you, to even help stave off dementia? What will be the next reversal?
I'm sure your frosting is delicious and it's something I would have probably glombed on to early in my life, but at this point I have cut back on sugars so much as I don't want to flirt with sugar issues.

Glad you found your way to ward off dementia, I Hope I found mine too...and it's not all the sugars.

Old Today, 12:23 PM

19,287 posts, read 6,380,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

Most recently I was told to forego Canola oil...
From all I've read it's certainly not the best oil, I have never used it but know it's in a lot of processed foods, cheap oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or