Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 02:47 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I hear you and one can guess that if the "cats" have taken over the eye, then when the surgery is done it's like a new sight for them. I have no clue how my eyes are today as I have not been to a eye doc in over 7 yrs or so and have been doing the supports for as many and more years. I see very clearly so no need to go to find out what? As I said too I've been so addicted to sunglasses and I feel that's been a huge salvation.
At your age, 7 yrs is ridiculous.

Many eye issues hit late in life:

Cataracts

Macular degeneration

Glaucoma

Retinal detachment

And more.

All start slow and pick up steam quickly. A very good friend is now dealing with age related blindness due to a combination of untreated glaucoma and macular degeneration after not seeing an opthamologist for over 5 years

Taking supplements is great, but make sure that there is no lasting issues with your eyed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 03:38 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
At your age, 7 yrs is ridiculous.

Many eye issues hit late in life:

Cataracts

Macular degeneration

Glaucoma

Retinal detachment

And more.

All start slow and pick up steam quickly. A very good friend is now dealing with age related blindness due to a combination of untreated glaucoma and macular degeneration after not seeing an opthamologist for over 5 years

Taking supplements is great, but make sure that there is no lasting issues with your eyed
Well, I'm late in life and I'm doing fine. Thanks for your great concern. To me, it feels great not to be going to doctors. Could be there is a lot to this powerful antioxidant that I've been taking a long time, too bad more don't know about it...MAYBE there wouldn't be so much eye diseases now..never know????

I just read a lot of sites on antioxidants and glaucoma and the other eye diseases and antioxidants are mentioned big time. Dr. Weil who I'm not wild about even speaks highly of antioxidants for these eye diseases.

So I believe my over 24 yrs of what I've been taking has been my good friend for my eyes.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-26-2018 at 04:22 PM..

Old 12-03-2018, 12:23 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,841 times
Quote:
That's good and glad your procedure turned out good. My neighbor is into about a year post op with a botched cataract surgery and I'm sure she's not alone in the world, There is a group in the world who are not quick to do surgery of any kind and work to prevent them and those who do not hesitate.

There is risk with all surgeries. I live with complications from 2 surgeries in my life and not quick to do any more. So I work with prevention and have been for over 25 yrs.
Jamin - What you're doing is spreading fear to people who have come here to request experiences of people who've had this procedure, not get information on vitamins that incidentally, won't do squat for cataracts, glaucoma or any other eye condition. It seems you always know someone who had some botched xyz surgery and that's why you avoid doctors and medical science at all costs. You posted the same types of things in a few shingles threads trying to scare people away from the vaccine by relaying some dreadful stories about vaccines while trying to push some supplement to prevent shingles. Ditto in knee replacement threads. Your horror story along with hawking vitamins. <yawn>

Most reasonable people know that the cost and risk is way to high to not get an eye exam in SEVEN years at your age - the age where most degenerative eye diseases begin or are at a pretty advanced stage, treatable diseases, and not wasting precious time taking supplements. Your vision seems okay because conditions like cataracts develop very slowly, almost imperceptibly until it's at an extreme state. I had no idea I had cataracts until I was diagnosed. The vision changes were just too subtle to notice at that stage, although they were already severe enough to be approved for the surgery if I wanted to. If you read the available success rate for modern cataracts surgery, you'd know it's very, very high. Complications happen, but are extremely rare.

I came here wanting to read other's experience with cataract surgery since that is on my agenda within a year. I don't like seeing someone senselessly trying to scare people with someone's botched surgery story (without any details to back that up), and/or peddle vitamins as a cure or preventative. I had a deja vu to the shingles and knee replacement posts that you wrote. I'm sure there are others, I just haven't seen them.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Jamin - What you're doing is spreading fear to people who have come here to request experiences of people who've had this procedure, not get information on vitamins that incidentally, won't do squat for cataracts, glaucoma or any other eye condition. It seems you always know someone who had some botched xyz surgery and that's why you avoid doctors and medical science at all costs. You posted the same types of things in a few shingles threads trying to scare people away from the vaccine by relaying some dreadful stories about vaccines while trying to push some supplement to prevent shingles. Ditto in knee replacement threads. Your horror story along with hawking vitamins. <yawn>

Most reasonable people know that the cost and risk is way to high to not get an eye exam in SEVEN years at your age - the age where most degenerative eye diseases begin or are at a pretty advanced stage, treatable diseases, and not wasting precious time taking supplements. Your vision seems okay because conditions like cataracts develop very slowly, almost imperceptibly until it's at an extreme state. I had no idea I had cataracts until I was diagnosed. The vision changes were just too subtle to notice at that stage, although they were already severe enough to be approved for the surgery if I wanted to. If you read the available success rate for modern cataracts surgery, you'd know it's very, very high. Complications happen, but are extremely rare.

I came here wanting to read other's experience with cataract surgery since that is on my agenda within a year. I don't like seeing someone senselessly trying to scare people with someone's botched surgery story (without any details to back that up), and/or peddle vitamins as a cure or preventative. I had a deja vu to the shingles and knee replacement posts that you wrote. I'm sure there are others, I just haven't seen them.
Well you probably got a lot of info you were looking for, right?

I simply avoid surgeries of any kind and why do them when one can avoid the knives.

Good grief, don't work on prevention, right....and yes at 80 what I do is paying off. But I realize most here do not think as I do.

And I'm not spreading fear, simply saying there is more than one way to do our healings.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:46 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,841 times
Quote:
Well you probably got a lot of info you were looking for, right?

I simply avoid surgeries of any kind and why do them when one can avoid the knives.

Good grief, don't work on prevention, right....and yes at 80 what I do is paying off. But I realize most here do not think as I do.

And I'm not spreading fear, simply saying there is more than one way to do our healings.
Weak.

Take the needle off the record.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:58 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,628 times
When I had my first cataract procedure the surgeon found that I have pseudo exfoliation syndrome. I had never heard of it but it means that had I delayed my procedure too long there would be a higher, yet still low,risk of complication.

Had I postponed this procedure too much longer I would not have been able to safely and confidently drive my grandsons, the effects of the cataracts being too distracting. The distraction may well be worse in this country as we have a hole in the ozone layer as well as relatively low pollution. Our clear light, amongst other factors,causes us and New Zealand to have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world and contributes to the development of cataracts in some people, especially light skinned people like me. Almost everyone here wears sunglasses constantly and they are not sufficient to prevent cataracts forming in many people.

I have read that cataract surgery and hip replacement procedures have contributed more to the well being of older people than any other procedures. I am certainly not opposed to endeavouring to avoid surgery if possible. I have fortunately been able to avoid a knee replacement at this stage by a long and lengthy process of building up my muscles. But I am certainly also prepared to accept the need of intervention to improve the quality of my life.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:24 PM

My first eye was done yesterday and the world is a much brighter place today!! (Next surgery in 2-3 weeks)

Old 12-04-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
When I had my first cataract procedure the surgeon found that I have pseudo exfoliation syndrome. I had never heard of it but it means that had I delayed my procedure too long there would be a higher, yet still low,risk of complication.

Had I postponed this procedure too much longer I would not have been able to safely and confidently drive my grandsons, the effects of the cataracts being too distracting. The distraction may well be worse in this country as we have a hole in the ozone layer as well as relatively low pollution. Our clear light, amongst other factors,causes us and New Zealand to have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world and contributes to the development of cataracts in some people, especially light skinned people like me. Almost everyone here wears sunglasses constantly and they are not sufficient to prevent cataracts forming in many people.

I have read that cataract surgery and hip replacement procedures have contributed more to the well being of older people than any other procedures. I am certainly not opposed to endeavouring to avoid surgery if possible. I have fortunately been able to avoid a knee replacement at this stage by a long and lengthy process of building up my muscles. But I am certainly also prepared to accept the need of intervention to improve the quality of my life.
Well, I continue to use eye supports and no cataracts at 80 and hip replacement was a great disappointment at 72. All in all my well being is good, except for the surgery and arthritic joints. There are many stories out there.

My neighbor still is walking around a year later with a messed up cataract surgery and fighting with Kaiser for help.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:18 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
My first eye was done yesterday and the world is a much brighter place today!! (Next surgery in 2-3 weeks)
It's pretty surprising. I found myself looking at all sort of things just to see the richness and brightness of different colors. Almost like seeing things for the first time. Green leaves on trees looked a lot greener than before. Things really seem to stand out for a while.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Well, I continue to use eye supports and no cataracts at 80 and hip replacement was a great disappointment at 72. All in all my well being is good, except for the surgery and arthritic joints. There are many stories out there.
Pardon my French, but what the bloody hell does hips and arthritic joints have to do with cataracts?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness