U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 11:32 AM

13,396 posts, read 10,735,311 times

Advertisements

I don't know how many of you have suffered from kidney stones. For about the last week I knew that I had a problem. The passage from the kidney to the bladder is always the hardest part. Fortunately I am getting better at passing them over the years; it isn't as painful as it once was. But it started out by urinating what looked like just blood. That came and went over a few days. I felt it in my left kidney and then I did not.

This morning I delivered twins! It is true happiness when the little bugger or buggers are finally out of you. It is amazing how much pain something so small can cause. The twins were about 3/8th inch long and the fatter one was about a 1/4 inch wide. I am posting a picture for those that are not familiar with the little devils. They are sitting in the bottom of a Dixie cup waiting for my next appointment with my urologist. The Dr. has them analyzed to see the composition. My urologist gave me a little strainer that I use when I know the delivery is imminent.

For now

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 11:50 AM

9,234 posts, read 6,428,371 times
Whew! Glad that's behind you, right? From your description and the picture those stones look to be a healthy size, hurting like billy-be-damned to pass no matter how used to the process you get.

Hope you're feeling better, and that your kidney stone "birth control" will be successful enough that you aren't passing way too many of those suckers.

And glad your perspective on the whole thing comes with a great sense of humor about it!

Old 11-25-2018, 12:11 PM

19,374 posts, read 6,416,082 times
OP: No, never had them but when I saw your header, thought of two other great happiness things re: health. Good for your delivery.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Whew! Glad that's behind you, right? From your description and the picture those stones look to be a healthy size, hurting like billy-be-damned to pass no matter how used to the process you get.

Hope you're feeling better, and that your kidney stone "birth control" will be successful enough that you aren't passing way too many of those suckers.

And glad your perspective on the whole thing comes with a great sense of humor about it!
It isn't the first roundup for me. I do take potassium citrate for the 'uric acid' part of my stones. However; they do not look like they dissolved too well. Maybe they had more calcium oxalate in their composition? Hey; I'm a happy camper now. It seems like I like to pass them on weekends where all local urologist are home and safety tucked away in bed. To tell you the truth; I would prefer to pass them without 'help'. That operation where they reach up you and grab them in a little metal baskets should be saved for our government if they ever decide to bring back torture! Your asleep for the operation; but they leave a weed eater nylon line in you for ten days (if I remember correctly). That is so you don't heal closed. The night after they pulled out my nylon cord was one of the worst nights of the year. I do not want to do that again. The lithotripsy operation was a piece of cake; but passing the blood and little bits of stones can be a problem.

I am in good humor now; I am happy with the delivery - it could have been worse!

Old 11-25-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: No, never had them but when I saw your header, thought of two other great happiness things re: health. Good for your delivery.
Never raise your hand if they ever ask for a surrogate to deliver one of these little pest!

Old 11-25-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Never raise your hand if they ever ask for a surrogate to deliver one of these little pest!
Just wondering do you consume too much calcium products? I don't and not even calcium supps. I count on calcium from veggies and however else I get it. Lots of magnesium is my choice. Got me thinking so did some research on this issue.

https://www.mymagnesiumdeficiency.in...kidney-stones/

Old 11-25-2018, 12:36 PM

18,235 posts, read 17,383,015 times
When my ex had kidney stones, they were calcium. Somehow we learned that his problem was being caused by drinking a lot of soda. He stopped drinking soda and has never had a kidney stone again. He does drink milk, eat cheese, etc. It was the soda--I don't feel like googling to find out the reasoning, but there was good solid reasoning behind it. I don't know if you drink soda, but if you do, that could be one way of making sure this never happens to you again.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Just wondering do you consume too much calcium products? I don't and not even calcium supps. I count on calcium from veggies and however else I get it. Lots of magnesium is my choice. Got me thinking so did some research on this issue.

https://www.mymagnesiumdeficiency.in...kidney-stones/
Not really. I do take my potassium citrate pills when I feel another one forming. I am like a psychic now from 'practice' !

I used to be a Pepsi addict in response to our moderator; drinking massive quantities each day. I gave up Pepsi because of the stones and diarrhea. However I switched to tea. Tea doesn't give me diarrhea; but it still can give me stones. I don't drink alcohol and I gave up smoking 20 years ago. I know I should switch to straight water; but I feel I should at least have one vice! If I had a little more pain with my 'deliveries' I would be tempted into water. But now it is only a once or twice a year advent.

By the way, for anybody that does not know; those stones are as hard as a rock! Of course a hammer would pulverize them.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Not really. I do take my potassium citrate pills when I feel another one forming. I am like a psychic now from 'practice' !

I used to be a Pepsi addict in response to our moderator; drinking massive quantities each day. I gave up Pepsi because of the stones and diarrhea. However I switched to tea. Tea doesn't give me diarrhea; but it still can give me stones. I don't drink alcohol and I gave up smoking 20 years ago. I know I should switch to straight water; but I feel I should at least have one vice! If I had a little more pain with my 'deliveries' I would be tempted into water. But now it is only a once or twice a year advent.

By the way, for anybody that does not know; those stones are as hard as a rock! Of course a hammer would pulverize them.
So you don't drink water? Once or twice a year advent? Why even want that?

Old 11-25-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
So you don't drink water? Once or twice a year advent? Why even want that?
I actually grew up in a bar or at least hanging around a bar my grandparents owned and my father worked in. I could get free soda anytime I wanted. Listen; I kept my dentist happy for many years.

I do drink some water straight; when my MiO's are empty! I am slowly trying to get away from Turkey Hill sweet tea; but it will take some time and maybe a few more stones!

Giving up Pepsi was almost as hard as giving up cigarettes! Well, maybe, not quite that bad! It amazed me how my problems with diarrhea stopped; but I was a very heavy soda drinker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or