U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 06:32 PM

9,234 posts, read 6,428,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Hang in there Travelassie. Live long enough and we all seem to accumulate some damage from the years. I had spinal surgery about 6 months ago which has eliminated a lot of my excuses for not doing more. I still have trouble doing any kind of plank position, like with a push up, so I use a weight machine for seated presses to the front to try to get the same arm shoulder involvement. I can only do leg lifts with both legs if I carefully tilt and tighten my pelvic region but at least I found a way to exercise those muscles. I still remember how I used to just do things and not think about them. Now, I have to think carefully about most anything I try. FWIW, Iíve never been what I would call an endurance athlete, even at my peak. I was always the sprinter, jumper, sudden burst of energy type but I could certainly do a ton more of it then than now.
That's for sure! Kind of makes you feel like an old car sometimes, doesn't it?

But it is the reality of things, adjustments are just part of adapting to those realities and I'm grateful to have my faculties, such as they are (), be able to exercise and generally do what I want even if I'm not the whirlwind I was years ago.

So you're careful, think about what you need to do and make necessary modifications so you don't hurt yourself, and you'll still be better off for what you're doing!

And a comforting, albeit probably facetious thought, while we've lost prowess as we've lived and aged all these years, think of all that wisdom borne of hindsight we've gained in the process....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
No exercise "routine" for this 70-something. I never liked working out, doing exercise for the pure purpose of exercise rather than productive work.

With a working farm/ranch operation, I have plenty of exercise just keeping up with the required activities.
That oughta do it! Guess the exercise routine is for those of us who don't engage in such useful strenuous activities and would be certified couch potatoes without the routines.

Your way of keeping fit is much more productive.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I'm 70 and I work a physically hard job where I can walk many miles each night. I like the idea of getting paid to exercise! For that last year I have been off work because of my wife's health. I will go back to work in January; I already have my old job lined up. Traditionally I will loose ten pound the first month of work after being off for some time. The rate I loose will go down in time.

I just never liked the idea of working out unless I am getting something done or getting paid. Exercise makes more sense when you can see your accomplishments. By the way, at 70, many do not have to work. So, if financially secure, you could take a part time job that only last a few hours. Anything that is physical is better than sitting in a chair. I had coworkers that told me I would work myself into the grave; they are all dead now.
That's the best, most productive way to get your exercise, for sure.

Glad to hear you're getting your old job back and doing what makes you happy, I'm sure your employer and coworkers are happy at this prospect too.

While taking on a part time job might keep one from vegetating in a chair all the time, there are other ways to accomplish this as well. I had an at-home consulting job as an educational consultant (writing continuing education courses and test questions for health care professionals, working with a mom and pop business that brokered these courses)-did it for 17 yrs including 6 yrs after I retired from full time work. No exercise involved in that job, poring over computer screens, sometimes books, periodicals and the like. I gave that up a year ago, due to diminishing returns (high income taxes, SS and Medicare deductions, increased scrutiny/nitpicking from semi-governmental accreditation agency, state government bean counters trying to justify their jobs) I had no need for this income and decided that was it.

But, it seems we come out ahead financially without that job, and I've gotten involved in a number of volunteer activities in our county. It feels like a pure luxury to be able to say neither my husband or I need to work at this point, and are free to be able to apply our energy and know-how where these may be of some help.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:36 PM

2,476 posts, read 4,471,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
24hrs?? Every day or certain shifts? When does he sleep. Just wondering.

I read that to mean he works 24 hours a week there - a part-time job.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:37 PM

13,401 posts, read 10,735,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That's the best, most productive way to get your exercise, for sure.

Glad to hear you're getting your old job back and doing what makes you happy, I'm sure your employer and coworkers are happy at this prospect too.

While taking on a part time job might keep one from vegetating in a chair all the time, there are other ways to accomplish this as well. I had an at-home consulting job as an educational consultant (writing continuing education courses and test questions for health care professionals, working with a mom and pop business that brokered these courses)-did it for 17 yrs including 6 yrs after I retired from full time work. No exercise involved in that job, poring over computer screens, sometimes books, periodicals and the like. I gave that up a year ago, due to diminishing returns (high income taxes, SS and Medicare deductions, increased scrutiny/nitpicking from semi-governmental accreditation agency, state government bean counters trying to justify their jobs) I had no need for this income and decided that was it.

But, it seems we come out ahead financially without that job, and I've gotten involved in a number of volunteer activities in our county. It feels like a pure luxury to be able to say neither my husband or I need to work at this point, and are free to be able to apply our energy and know-how where these may be of some help.
Of course this is a personal decision and financially we are not all the same. Regardless of the finances; it is not healthy to quit or retire and do nothing. You have to have some activity. Anything to keep you moving like your volunteer activities. The more you keep moving; the longer you will last.

Old Yesterday, 03:54 AM

9,558 posts, read 14,389,715 times
I was born before WWII. I work every day. In the winter I am often on snowshoes. In my life I have had three prescriptions for medicine. Two were the result of injuries. About 25 years ago I had pneumonia and had a prescription for that. I eat responsibly, do not smoke and seldom drink. Most of my ancestors lived into their 90s.

Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM

35,009 posts, read 43,151,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
24hrs?? Every day or certain shifts? When does he sleep. Just wondering.
LOL. 5 or 6 hours at a time. Heís usually home by 10:00- 11:00am.

Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM

15,946 posts, read 9,871,598 times
I'm 73 and I work 40 per week at my regular job and then in the evenings and weekends at my shop, building cars. I hate working out, so this is my exercise.

One time my cardiologist said " I want you to walk a couple of miles a day ", and I said "So, you want me to cut down, huh ?"

Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM

4,731 posts, read 3,082,201 times
300-400 minutes a week of cardio, using an Xiser stepper, elliptical, and, occasionally a rebounder (mini trampoline).

6-7 progressive resistance sessions every two weeks using resistance bands these days rather than weights.

Next birthday in January, age 75.

Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM

13,401 posts, read 10,735,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
300-400 minutes a week of cardio, using an Xiser stepper, elliptical, and, occasionally a rebounder (mini trampoline).

6-7 progressive resistance sessions every two weeks using resistance bands these days rather than weights.

Next birthday in January, age 75.
For most people that equipment ends up as coat hangers! I am not saying that it is not great for you. It is just that many do not have that drive and the equipment sits collecting dust. As a matter of fact; try to get rid of old exercise equipment; the Salvation Army does not take it locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or