Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 12:41 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,716,763 times

Advertisements

I'm 80 and do stretching at this point and some recumbent bike cycles and walk as best I can with the joint issues I live with. Just found t his video on stretching today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8RPVf6PfVM

The instructor here says a couple times about the danger of cortisone and how bones turn to mush with these shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
No exercise "routine" for this 70-something. I never liked working out, doing exercise for the pure purpose of exercise rather than productive work.

With a working farm/ranch operation, I have plenty of exercise just keeping up with the required activities.
Your way is how my grandparents and parents exercised, WOrked gardens for one thing...scrubbed floors and washed walls and did their own painting. Hanging clothes on lines inside and outside.

Modern life has made a lot of lazier population. I like some conveniences but I recall my earlier years and
those in them.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 39,089,856 times
Well, I am not yet 70 (69) but I get exercise regularly. Usually a long daily bike ride (on a heavy cruiser but I pump it), I also do sets of rows on a "Total Trainer" machine, many body squats and walking lunges. I also hang from a pull-up bar and also do knee raises on it. I like to dance also but don't do this as much as I once did. This is my regular routine. I definitely cannot work in the yard like I used to - many back problems and old injuries have slowed me down in that department.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Of course this is a personal decision and financially we are not all the same. Regardless of the finances; it is not healthy to quit or retire and do nothing. You have to have some activity. Anything to keep you moving like your volunteer activities. The more you keep moving; the longer you will last.
I so agree with you. When we moved to NWA and were just past 70 hubby decided to start a small pet sitting business. It kept him busy, brought in the few $SS that did give us money for things like travel we could not afford without those few $$Ss and he got some exercise. Now, at just under 82 and some mobility problems he is giving his business up at the end of Jan. He will miss his 4 legged kids and they will miss him. While we will not be working for extra money we do some volunteer work. I also kept up as a part time travel Agent when we first moved here. I did it from the time I officially retired until a few years ago

As for actual exercise, we do water walk 3 mornings a week but we exercise our mouths more than I bodies.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:57 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,479,123 times
Yep, I'm 71 and not much worse for the years. I have 2 artificial knees and I'm very grateful for that technology! From boyhood, I enjoyed being outdoors and still do.

I retired at age 65 and got bored. I moved to Maine and built my family a ranch house. Then I set up a garden and got some chickens. Before you could say Jack Spratt, I had chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, and pigs. Now I'm raising a couple of calves for beef.

I love this! I'm up at 4 or 5 am and out doing chores, no matter the weather. It makes me feel alive, and healthy. We have 6 grandchildren, and as each one comes of age, they spend a summer or a year working with us on this project. I just love supplying my family with fresh, pasture-raised, organic food! Better than we could get at the store, and cheaper also.

70 is the new 50. Regardless of the number, I am still middle aged. I don't worry about exercise. I just do my chores, and the exercise takes care of itself.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:40 PM

12,036 posts, read 8,392,431 times
In the summer I swim and walk but don't care to do either in the winter. Snow and ice are a detriment. And I prefer swimming in a lake rather than a pool.

I walk miles and miles and swim during my long winter vacation in Mexico It's a good thing or I wouldn't be able to get out of my chair by the end of the winter. LOL

I have never liked to exercise for the sake of it. There are exercises I do for sciatica when it bothers me and I do exercise before I leave on vacation. Other than that I guess it'll take a doctor to tell me to do it before I make it a daily habit.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yep, I'm 71 and not much worse for the years. I have 2 artificial knees and I'm very grateful for that technology! From boyhood, I enjoyed being outdoors and still do.

I retired at age 65 and got bored. I moved to Maine and built my family a ranch house. Then I set up a garden and got some chickens. Before you could say Jack Spratt, I had chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, and pigs. Now I'm raising a couple of calves for beef.

I love this! I'm up at 4 or 5 am and out doing chores, no matter the weather. It makes me feel alive, and healthy. We have 6 grandchildren, and as each one comes of age, they spend a summer or a year working with us on this project. I just love supplying my family with fresh, pasture-raised, organic food! Better than we could get at the store, and cheaper also.

70 is the new 50. Regardless of the number, I am still middle aged. I don't worry about exercise. I just do my chores, and the exercise takes care of itself.
Wow all that great home grown food...and with two artificial knees. And tell me, you have/had no issues with your replacements.. I have a problem knee and I'm 80 and freaking scared to go under the knife again due to, I'm sure, living with nasty hip replacement and those parts. How old were you when you did them...

Old 11-26-2018, 06:19 PM

10,222 posts, read 6,305,373 times
Before I retired, I worked with disabled adults and children pushing wheelchairs, lifting them out of their chairs on to mats to change their diapers. At one HS I worked at, we had to take them outside to get air by pushing them around the school's track 2 times. Know what that is like pushing a 150 lb teenager around a track when you are 60 years old and barely 100 lbs.? I lost too much weight with all that exercise, and stopped working. 94 lbs. and I will have to pushed around in a wheelchair.

Now? Climb, climb, climb. But since I am short I have always had to do that. Step stool always handy. I cannot reach the top shelf in my kitchen cabinets or clothes closets. When I need to clean the top of my cabinets I climb onto my kitchen counters to reach the top. Same for my closets to get or put things on top.

I live in the mountains on top of a "hill". My driveway is a good 20 feet long uphill. I live in a high ranch so after that uphill walk from the street I climb stairs to get to my front door, and then more stairs to get to the main level, or downstairs to get to basement. This includes carrying bags of groceries multiple times up all these stairs.

Wash is carrying laundry baskets down two flights of stairs to the laundry room. Oh, and then carrying the vacuum cleaner down the stairs, or garbage down to the garage basement. Up and down and up and down.

I admit that I am a hyper person anyway and cannot sit for long periods of time, even at 70 years old. I quit working in a office in my 20's because I went stir crazy sitting 8 hours a day. Never been to a gym, or worked out (?) in my entire life.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:24 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,648,740 times
I do have a gym routine-- 3-4x week. And I also love to walk on trails in the woods, ride my bike, kayak, do yoga.

I just feel better when I get in some exercise every day. I sleep better, my clothes fit better. My aches are less achy-y. My mood is better.

Our bodies are meant to move and not stagnate. I'd rather wear out rust out.

My yoga teacher has told us, "You're only as youthful as your spine is supple."

On the days I don't exercise, I sleep poorly. Gotta keep moving, even it's just dancing around the kitchen to some tunes.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:25 PM

Jo, you are one ball of energy..small ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness