U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 03:47 PM

2,934 posts, read 1,557,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
..But I must add that if your only reason is "to save the environment," then you're sadly misinformed.
]
That's one good reason, but in my experience typically not the primary one for vegans. Usually they're more concerned about the welfare of animals raised for human consumption and don't want any part of it.

It's a lifestyle choice, shared by folks of many religions.

Regarding running as self flagellation, do you actually know anyone who participates in this activity? I believe this would be the exception because all runners I know, including myself, absolutely love it.

I'm neither a vegan or vegetarian but have found that drastically reducing my dairy and meat intake has definitely improved my health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 04:37 PM

19,483 posts, read 6,450,344 times
Makes me wonder why we have such a huge cow, pig, even lamb industries. We don't have them for our pets.

I was born and raised, my parents too, their parents and we all lived pretty well long lives and no one talked about not eating meats...often our meat days were treats.

I've cut back a lot as I've hit 80 and just it is better for me re: digestion.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:05 PM

16,178 posts, read 8,977,787 times
They're generally healthier if they base their diet on vegetables rather than pasta and bread. Lots of junk food vegetarians, especially college students, who survive on boxed mac & cheese, ramen, and pb&j, which is not good for them.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:33 PM

17,780 posts, read 21,990,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
They're generally healthier if they base their diet on vegetables rather than pasta and bread. Lots of junk food vegetarians, especially college students, who survive on boxed mac & cheese, ramen, and pb&j, which is not good for them.
Hence the term "plant based" as opposed to "grain and dairy based".

People who actually do eat mostly vegetables, fruits, a sparing amount of nuts and legumes are absolutely healthier.

Regardless of how they chose to - or not to - label themselves.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:34 PM

987 posts, read 664,953 times
I went vegan for a month or two in college. I had access to the school's cafeteria as well as a kitchen in my apartment. That didn't last long, even with me incorporating plenty of chickpeas and beans into my diet to get that protein. Ate lots of salads and cooked veggies, but I had never been so exhausted. I think for some people, their bodies really do need a fully balanced diet. I hadn't had cow's milk since high school and just started adding it back into my diet the last year.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:16 AM

13,077 posts, read 12,610,077 times
I think vegetarians and vegans are generally healthier. But let's remember that french fries and pancakes are vegetarian and often vegan. Sugar qualifies as ok under both. It's not necessarily a foolproof way of eating. And I'm not sure it's good for EVERYONE to follow a plant-based diet. My friend with some severe physical disabilities was vegetarian for an extended period, and she found it really affected her health and energy levels negatively.

Honestly, I just like meat too much to stop eating it. Even more than sugar, it's like a drug for me. I know I'm an environmental disaster and I love animals, but I'm pretty miserable when I'm not including it in my diet. I choose vegetarian options fairly frequently, but I am pretty carnivorous overall.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:05 AM

1,514 posts, read 713,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Same here. After I started again incorporating some meat back into my diet, I made it a practice to be aware that something died so that I could eat.

I'd been veg for about two years, and had already added back some fish here and there. I do some work that involves attending engineering industry dinners. I usually asked for the vegetarian or fish alternative if the dinner was meat, but one night they placed a dish of rare sliced beef in front of me and it looked so good and I didn't ask for it to be switched out. I wanted it.

The next day, I kept thinking "I feel really good today and I don't know why". Stronger physically and sharper mentally, and I realized it was the beef. I must have been missing something.

I don't eat beef often since, and when I do it's a small portion, but it does make me feel good.

That was your brain screaming, "Feed me, I need those nutrients!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
I was strict vegetarian (at times vegan) for nearly 30 years, but started consuming a little meat about a year ago. I was perfectly content and healthy as a vegetarian, but once I hit 40... I donít know what changed but I started having hormonal issues and felt like crap all. the. time. My weight didnít change, but I started to look paunchy and scrawny. Constant aches and pains, mood swings, you name it. And Iíve never been a junk food vegetarian; I was all about beans ní greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and eggs.

Nutrient deficiencies catch up with all of us eventually.

Quote:
Anyway, it all started with a hot dog. It was so ****ing delicious. Then a piece of broiled trout; it felt like all of the circuits in my brain were firing.

Long-term strict vegetarians and vegans are going to have a problem eventually. Any diet that requires synthetic supplementation of essential nutrients is obviously not a healthy one.

Don't starve your brains, people, unless you are fine with a shrinking brain and possibly dementia or other serious problems later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I went vegan for about 5 months two years ago because my daughter was and I wanted to lose about five pounds and I was curious.

After one week I felt fantastic and after two I was dropping weight. I have to say that I really, really felt good. Why am I not still vegan is because I am an omnivore at heart. I love meat, fish, and poultry. I don't care about dairy except for cheese occasionally. Also coming up with meal ideas and recipes is a pain the the ass.

Yeah, you gave your digestive system a break with the increase in fiber. Most Americans don't consume enough fiber. Most people can maintain that great feeling by decreasing the frequency and portion sizes of meat and increasing plants.

Health depends on what nutrients you are getting, and this varies by individual. Analyze your diet for nutrients and adjust accordingly to ensure you are getting what the human body requires to function normally and healthily. If you don't know what they are, consider picking up a textbook on nutrition and experiment, experiment, experiment.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:48 AM

18,363 posts, read 10,055,075 times
People who are healthier don't do just one thing.

Vegetarians are people who pay serious attention to what they eat. They're are also more likely as a group to be paying attention to other healthy practices such as exercise and not smoking.

It might be difficult to find a statistically valid population sample of vegetarians that are as otherwise careless about their health as the whole group of people who eat meat.

That's not to say everyone who eats meat is otherwise careless about his heath, but "people who eat meat" includes a whole lot of people who do everything else wrong as well.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:59 AM

28,323 posts, read 17,999,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
People who are healthier don't do just one thing.

Vegetarians are people who pay serious attention to what they eat. They're are also more likely as a group to be paying attention to other healthy practices such as exercise and not smoking.

It might be difficult to find a statistically valid population sample of vegetarians that are as otherwise careless about their health as the whole group of people who eat meat.

That's not to say everyone who eats meat is otherwise careless about his heath, but "people who eat meat" includes a whole lot of people who do everything else wrong as well.
I think this is a really good point.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 11-29-2018, 11:04 AM

13,683 posts, read 7,337,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Long-term strict vegetarians and vegans are going to have a problem eventually. Any diet that requires synthetic supplementation of essential nutrients is obviously not a healthy one.
What nutrients are strict vegetarians not getting? Don't lump vegans and vegetarians in together, although even vegans can get B12 from nutritional yeast.

As for vegetarians, you can get B12 from milk...and of course there is protein (and amino acids) in legumes, especially. Those are what I see meat-eaters most concerned about.

Lots of people don't get enough B12, especially if they are older than 50 because of the way digestion changes as you age. No need to pick on vegetarians as REQUIRING supplements any more than other people, as long as they eat in a balanced way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness