U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 12:24 PM

69,770 posts, read 80,164,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Makes me wonder why we have such a huge cow, pig, even lamb industries. We don't have them for our pets.

I was born and raised, my parents too, their parents and we all lived pretty well long lives and no one talked about not eating meats...often our meat days were treats.

I've cut back a lot as I've hit 80 and just it is better for me re: digestion.
we started cutting back about 30 years ago and cut back a little more every year but not for humane reasons: more for health reasons and as we get older and so much less active our appetites have shrunk. We still love or meats just smaller portions. If we all stopped eating meat a whole lot of animals would die of starvation which is a much more painful death I am guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 12:29 PM

69,770 posts, read 80,164,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
People who are healthier don't do just one thing.

Vegetarians are people who pay serious attention to what they eat. They're are also more likely as a group to be paying attention to other healthy practices such as exercise and not smoking.

It might be difficult to find a statistically valid population sample of vegetarians that are as otherwise careless about their health as the whole group of people who eat meat.

That's not to say everyone who eats meat is otherwise careless about his heath, but "people who eat meat" includes a whole lot of people who do everything else wrong as well.
I think part of what you are saying has merit but I also know a lot of vegetarians, well not a lot who also love their booze. I think not smoking is something, vegetarians and meat eaters alike know is not a good habit. Most of us gave it us a long time ago. I still think it boils down to the amount rather than what we eat and drink.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:49 PM

18,402 posts, read 10,073,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think part of what you are saying has merit but I also know a lot of vegetarians, well not a lot who also love their booze. I think not smoking is something, vegetarians and meat eaters alike know is not a good habit. Most of us gave it us a long time ago. I still think it boils down to the amount rather than what we eat and drink.
Back in the 70s, a study was done on the health effects of coffee. The conclusion, based on studying hundreds of coffee drinkers, was that coffee was linked to cancer.

But the problem was this: A huge proportion of heavy coffee drinkers liked smoking a cigarette while drinking coffee. They didn't have a statistically significant sample of non-smoking heavy coffee drinkers. In those days, they might not have even considered smoking an issue--it was just that ubiquitous.

It wasn't until smoking declined as a general habit were they able to find a statistically significant number of nonsmokers who also drank coffee heavily. And--surprise--coffee doesn't contribute to cancer. It was only the cigarettes all along.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:30 PM

2,943 posts, read 1,562,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

Long-term strict vegetarians and vegans are going to have a problem eventually.
Not true. I know an 82 year old man who has been a vegetarian for his entire adult life and he's just fine.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:10 PM

1,096 posts, read 374,023 times
fit and slender is slendist or fit-something.
is there a term to shame them?

Old 11-30-2018, 07:59 AM

624 posts, read 420,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Do you have any personal experience in switching from being an omnivore to a vegan or vegetarian diet and found your health improved?

Of course, there is unhealthy vegetarian eating, too. My cousin is a vegetarian and eats a whole lot of ice cream daily and is overweight and has some health issues. But is he the exception rather than the rule?

I think so.

Other vegetarians I know are quite slender and seem fit.
Most of the vegetarians I meet are fat. They seem to be more concerned with animal rights and have a horrible diet of sweets and fats and low protein. I eat meat, but much more whole grains, vegetables and fruits than any vegetarian I ever met.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:09 AM

13,705 posts, read 7,356,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
People who are healthier don't do just one thing.

AMERICAN-Vegetarians are people who pay serious attention to what they eat. They're are also more likely as a group to be paying attention to other healthy practices such as exercise and not smoking.

It might be difficult to find a statistically valid population sample of vegetarians that are as otherwise careless about their health as the whole group of people who eat meat.

That's not to say everyone who eats meat is otherwise careless about his heath, but "people who eat meat" includes a whole lot of people who do everything else wrong as well.
What I mean is that in the U.S., vegetarianism is not "natural" in terms of many at all being vegetarian from birth, hence there is some special motivation that they subscribe to in order to have converted and maintained the "lifestyle".

Studies might better be done in countries where people are vegetarian because of their culture, like India. Of course then we'd say that's INDIA, they're nothing like us (either) - but it is somewhat more typical there, though certainly not for all to be vegetarian their whole lives, it is certainly much less of a "fad" kind of thing and is second nature in those cases.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:22 AM

35,039 posts, read 43,231,898 times
We just learned that my husbandís cousin, who is in her mid 40s, had a hip replaced due to severe osteoporosis. She is a life long vegetarian. Her doctor told her she did not take the proper supplements, so it caused her bones to weaken. Iím not saying thereís anything wrong with being vegetarian, but you really must work at getting the protein from somewhere else.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:43 AM

18,402 posts, read 10,073,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What I mean is that in the U.S., vegetarianism is not "natural" in terms of many at all being vegetarian from birth, hence there is some special motivation that they subscribe to in order to have converted and maintained the "lifestyle".
I take your point.

In the US, a vegetarian is normally maintaining an unusual lifestyle for the specific purpose of enhancing health, and thus likely includes more than merely diet.

In India, where the dominant food culture is based more on vegetarianism, a person might be vegetarian by the happenstance of being born there, not practicing a consciously healthy lifestyle in other ways.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:48 AM

13,705 posts, read 7,356,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We just learned that my husbandís cousin, who is in her mid 40s, had a hip replaced due to severe osteoporosis. She is a life long vegetarian. Her doctor told her she did not take the proper supplements, so it caused her bones to weaken. Iím not saying thereís anything wrong with being vegetarian, but you really must work at getting the protein from somewhere else.
Lack of protein doesn't cause osteoporosis....and calcium can easily come from veggies like spinach and certainly from milk (if she wasn't vegan) - there is lots of confusion on these matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness